Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Extreme Amiga overclocking.  (Read 6275 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Extreme Amiga overclocking.
« Reply #74 from previous page: July 16, 2004, 04:12:32 PM »
I once overclocked my 1084S to get it to display a (slightly) flicker-free 640x400 with my A1200's standard, no-flicker-fixer-in-place video out.

It caused the monitor to dim somewhat (had to crank up the contrast) and I lost the bottom 4 lines on the screen - think PAL display on NTSC but not as much screen real-estate unviewable.

Hey, it worked! (And probably took years off of the monitor's life)

I think you can find the info on how to do it on aminet.  Of course these days who needs to do all of that?!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2004, 09:33:40 AM »
@Red
So are you going to tell us what it is soon or not? Overclocked the Prom to 66Mhz PCI slots and hacked in a AGP slot?

Offline BoingBoss

• Show only replies by BoingBoss
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2004, 09:47:06 AM »
Hi Framiga,

guys!!! don't wast your time with a dude that claims that "to play Quake is better than SEX" !!!

You really should learn how to read.  My Doom II web site, in the Deathmatch area, states that "Doom 2 deathmatch is so much fun that sometimes I think it is better then SEX!".  That area mentions nothing about Quake deathmatch.   :roll:
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2004, 11:56:39 AM »

BoingBoss wrote:
...My Doom II web site...

Home Page
Microsoft FrontPage 3.0">
Map05.mid" loop="-1">

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH :nervous:.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2004, 11:59:38 AM »
@Doomy

I think, amongst people who have tried both, you will find a general consensus that "sometimes is better than sex" is not correct :-)
int p; // A

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2004, 12:31:19 PM »
Well, if you're forced to have sex with someone who doesn't turn you on, computer games might be a lot better...
I like Amigas

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2004, 03:34:40 PM »
Hum,
 and the `fun` doesn`t stop there...
Let me tell you of my unhappy  `experience` with increasing clock speeds...

i once managed to create rift in the space-time continuum by  overclocking my 2600 MHz Athlon at <snip - edited due to safety  concerns> GHz.  
Overclocking is generally understood by all to be a bad thing for the CPU and Motherboard (and it may even add to global warming), so you see, it is understandable that i haven't recreated the experiment again...

i guess that the  CPU clock cycle was operating so fast that it began to execute instructions before they arrived.  This execution of future instructions created a small tear in the fabric of space-time itself .

Luckily the Asrock motherboard was fitted with a COP chipset heat monitor that cut off the power supply, and also by virtue of going so fast being able to travel backwards in time, to just before the rift was created.

So, no embarrassing call to the insurance company...though i doubt that they would cover time- travel and  cracks in space-time.

i did a quick `google` for similar results, but revealed nothing, but i suspect that this is not a one off case;
 hum, very strange, (thought  hesitate to  cry government cover-up).

Anyway, i`ll leave you to draw your own conclusions...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2004, 03:54:54 PM »

Cyberus wrote:
Well, if you're forced to have sex with someone who doesn't turn you on, computer games might be a lot better...

I once turned down sex to watch Star Trek II... The young lady involved was NOT impressed... I wasn't even that interested in watching the film either (I'd seen it countless times before :-s )

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2004, 04:10:32 PM »
Overclocking is generally understood by all to be a bad thing for the CPU and Motherboard (and it may even add to global warming)

May? MAY?  Environment be-damned, I conducted my own, more controlled Athlon overclocking experiments a while back...  During which time, a large block of ice broke from the polar ice-caps.  Coincidence?  I think not.

I started with a lowly 10% overclock, and my box started putting out more BTUs than my furnace.  I was happy, though, because I found myself saving big on my winter heating bill.  However, encoding DivX required me to open the windows of my apartment to avoid heat-stroke, even on sub-0 freezing winter nights.  Kids couldn't build snowmen for blocks because everything thawed and trees started growing new leaves in December.

But, I figured that was safe enough, so I wanted to push things further.  I raised the core voltage a few points and boosted it up above a 20% overclock.  I found out I could cure pottery and sterilize medical equipment, simply by putting it inside my apartment!  Now I was saving on my water bill, as well.  Dirty dishes?  Here, we can autoclave them clean!

Of course, due to the heat, I couldn't get close enough to the machine to try pushing it further.  My next set of experiments involved cooling the thing with dry ice and pushing the core voltage up to 1.21 jigawatts.  In hindsight, I suspect this configuration might also cause problems in space/time and perhaps even bad sequels, as well.  It may be best that this series of experiments were never carried out.  ;-)  

These Athlons are clearly dangerous.  We should start a class-action lawsuit before someone goes and destroys the universe, or something.   :lol:

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2004, 04:31:51 PM »

I once turned down sex to watch Star Trek II... The young lady involved was NOT impressed... I wasn't even that interested in watching the film either (I'd seen it countless times before :-s )

I'm not surprised she wasn't impressed!  Was she THAT bad?

:-o

Couldn't you have done the decent thing as just gone out on the lash with your mates instead?  She's have probably been able to deal with that one.

Actually, I know a guy who turned down sex to go mountain biking...  Before you ask, no it wasn't me!

Just had an idea from a new thread....
Cecilia for President

Offline blittrstrm

• Show only replies by blittrstrm
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2004, 11:35:19 PM »
hi I noticed something supicius about this, homepage, he has a "certificate" Top 25 pc games websites.

I am not a hardcore PC gamer, but i realy doubt this site http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/ qualify for this title.

I suspect it migt be made in MS Paint, but I dont know.

If he falsely claims this title it would, be nice to have the link for his PC gaming homepage removed from Amiga.org.

I made some quick, seach for Top pc games websites on google, to find out If this claim is correct or not.
Hope somebody, can find it easyer than I, if not I WILL take the time to find out.

This guy "BoingBoss" seams to have a quite a bad attitude.