Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Donate to the Kickstarter Elite: Dangerous! and Win Lifetime Membership!  (Read 4237 times)

Description:

Offline Plaz

A bit long, but hang in there to the end....

As a teen I have fond memories of playing what was at the time a fairly new RPG game called "Traveller" (1977) with my brother and other misc friends. It was D&D like except it was space/science based. It was a blast and far better than D&D in our opinions. This is the one of the games the original Elite was based on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveler_(role-playing_game)

Elite Wiki with Traveller reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

Years later came home computers and Elite. "Awesome" I thought, "Travellers on the computer!". Of course I bought a copy.

Though Elite was a great accomplishment in it's own right. I was saddened. The game play and objectives were similar, but it was like playing a dead zombified version of Traveller. Gone was the quick interactive team play aspects of the game replaced by my commodore's best 8 bit efforts at simulating a galaxy and it's inhabitants. I never finished the game and never looked at the sequels that followed.

Now comes this kickstart Elite: Dangerous with the hope of interactive online team play. If this happens, it could well be one of the most fun games I could think to play possibly surpassing my current all time favorites HalfLife 1 and 2. This past couple of weeks I've not been considering IF I would support the effort, but HOW MUCH I could safely contribute. 1.2 million pounds, whew that's a big goal. I can't go enough to get a galaxy or planet named PLAZ, but I'll do what I can.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

Re: Donate to the Kickstarter Elite: Dangerous! and Win Lifetime Membership!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:53:38 AM »
Oh, and you may want to through a few pounds at this Elite related project as well. Sounds interesting and might add some more of that original Traveller back story to the universe....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1245019716/reclamation-an-elite-novella-by-a-fan-for-the-fans

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »
@Failure

Holy cow, another surviving Amiga near Atlanta that plays Elite. What are the odds. :)

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 03:58:55 AM »
Getting close with a couple of days to go. If everyone who's already participated kicked in a extra five'r it would be done. There's many probably just waiting until the last minute for dramatic effect.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:45:01 PM »
Oh spankers, that's a nice start to the new year thanks. Here's looking forward to many other nice surprises to 2013

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 11:39:26 PM »
Kickstart's primary goal of 1.25m was reached today. Now they're going for a Mac version at 1.4m. I look forward to chasing (or being chased) by some of you pirates next year.

Plaz