Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OWB/MUI Banner and Screenshots  (Read 4318 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: OWB/MUI Banner and Screenshots
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 21, 2011, 01:53:39 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;616814
well OS4.1 update 2 for the classics is just around the corner & therefore the 060 crowd can run OWB & Timberwolf when ready

No they cannot.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:27:56 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;616661
I expect that whilst compiling OWB for OS3.x is perfectly possible* (WebKit itself is pretty clean, you'd probably need to spend most time on the GUI side), the end user experience is likely to be a bit disappointing without a great deal of effort put into optimisation. And by that I don't mean changing a few, frequently called functions for inline assembler variants (as fun as it is), but a very detailed analysis of the overall flowgraph for the layout engine / renderer to see if any of the algorithms need to be changed.

*Caveat: the core WebKit code is largely written in C++ and makes a lot of use of abstractions and generics. It may prove difficult to compile for existing amiga m68K targets.

With the CPU grunt Natami is hopefully going to have with its planned 070 core that should not be a problem.

Theoretically.....
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 09:51:58 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;616814
well OS4.1 update 2 for the classics is just around the corner & therefore the 060 crowd can run OWB & Timberwolf when ready

You kidding... after my experience of OS4.0 I ain't gonna be buying 4.1 for classics and I'd recommend anyone else not too either... :)

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
Quote from: Franko;616628
Reckon you should change your banner from "for AmigaOS" to "for AmigaOS 4.x", had me thinking for a moment there someone had written a new browser for 060 based Amigas...:(

Why does a third-party application's splash screen have to specify a particular version of AmigaOS?  Anyone who is familiar with OWB already knows it requires the latest version of AmigaOS anyway so the point is mute.

I do however think the boing-ball graphic should be removed... its okay appearing on websites and such, but does it really need to be everywhere? :roflmao:

Its not like OWB has a boing-certificate of authenticity from Hyperion or anything.

Offline kas1e

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
@djrikky

Yeah, that boing-ball stuff sucks hard. But that strange banner done not by fab, not by Mason, not by Deniil, not by me, not by anyone else who somehow works now/ in the past on project. Its just Xeno74 by some reassons draw such banner. I personally dislike it totally: because of boing-ball crap, because of bad font, because of wrong phrase at all (not for amigaos, but for amigaos4, that should be right, and not mui/owb but muiowb, and if put any logo there, then there should be butterfly , not the that crappy boing ball in the half of banner)

@Karlos

I expect that whilst compiling OWB for OS3.x is perfectly possible* (WebKit itself is pretty clean, you'd probably need to spend most time on the GUI side), the end user experience is likely to be a bit disappointing without a great deal of effort put into optimisation. And by that I don't mean changing a few, frequently called functions for inline assembler variants (as fun as it is), but a very detailed analysis of the overall flowgraph for the layout engine / renderer to see if any of the algorithms need to be changed.

*Caveat: the core WebKit code is largely written in C++ and makes a lot of use of abstractions and generics. It may prove difficult to compile for existing amiga m68K targets.

There is tons of other problems than only WebKit (and in webkit itself, there is still some  morphos related parts was , and now some amigaos4 related parts, not many , but still). And even some mui parts are uses in WebKit itself, which done only in mui4 and mui3.9.

Other problems it porting of all the necessary libs (half of them can't be just plain ./configure ; make, and need to work on sources).

One more problem its MUI : our aos4's mui3.9 are pretty fixed in terms of many-many wellknown old bugs from mui3.8. I even can't describe them all, because its so many that make no sense to write about they here. Some classes of mui3.9 also was updated, so add those problems as well.

And not the latest problem, its the compiler/linker/targets, which for sure will happens at some point, and that all need to fix , workorounds and loose tons of time (dunno who will do that).

But in theory - porting of course possible and to aos3, and to aros (with aros need to fix zune in many places, but its open source, so that is pluse). Imho porting to aros is preferable, because zune can be backported to 68k and no need to stuck with mui3.8 anymore for those who stack with aos3.

@all
Related to sources : when we will done, we will release it as well. And if someone will in interest to port it to aros or aos3, fab already agree with that, and i can help with all the stuff (if , of course, someone brave enough will mantain it).

Offline Franko

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »
Quote from: djrikki;616927
Why does a third-party application's splash screen have to specify a particular version of AmigaOS?  Anyone who is familiar with OWB already knows it requires the latest version of AmigaOS anyway so the point is mute.

I do however think the boing-ball graphic should be removed... its okay appearing on websites and such, but does it really need to be everywhere? :roflmao:

Its not like OWB has a boing-certificate of authenticity from Hyperion or anything.

And what about those like me who don't even know what "OWB" stands for, so the point is far from mute... ;)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 01:48:09 AM »
Quote from: Franko;616910
You kidding... after my experience of OS4.0 I ain't gonna be buying 4.1 for classics and I'd recommend anyone else not too either... :)

c'mon Franko give that a break won't ya:D...that was then & this is NOW!
the OS4.1 update 2 (soon update 3) experience is way different than the OS4.0 Final experience & you have the chance to run the latest AmigaOS on your classic miggy man

btw, amigauk.com now too !?!?...damn for a guy that just started using the net you sure want to monopolize on amiga sites don't ya :-)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:52:34 AM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Franko

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;617128
c'mon Franko give that a break won't ya:D...that was then & this is NOW!
the OS4.1 update 2 (soon update 3) experience is way different than the OS4.0 Final experience & you have the chance to run the latest AmigaOS on your classic miggy man

btw, amigauk.com now too !?!?...damn for a guy that just started using the net you sure want to monopolize on amiga sites don't ya :-)

How much different ???

It's not my fault Hyperion sold me a piece of crap and I can only base my judgement on it from that... :)

Bought AmigaUK.com around the same time as CommodoreScotland.com but it got tied up for 2 months when I switched hosts and then forgot all about it.... :)

This time next year I'll own the net... ;)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
Quote from: Franko;617185
How much different ???

would be a good idea to email some of the beta testers to get an answer..i think there's a detailed thread over at amigaworld.net & you can check out the OS4.1 for classics blog over at Hyperions web site.

I know you still actively use your classic miggy so this would be a great upgrade path for you if works well:)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;617207
would be a good idea to email some of the beta testers to get an answer..i think there's a detailed thread over at amigaworld.net & you can check out the OS4.1 for classics blog over at Hyperions web site.

I know you still actively use your classic miggy so this would be a great upgrade path for you if works well:)

Without an RTG card it's pretty much a dog for obvious reasons.

Offline Franko

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:06 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;617344
Without an RTG card it's pretty much a dog for obvious reasons.

Yup... I'm starting to think BVision cards don't actually exists and it was just a rumour to get me to buy the BPPC... :(

Still, when the NatAmi arrives things sure will change for the Amiga & web browsing methinks... :)