Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of  (Read 7535 times)

Description:

Offline mechy

Re: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot
« on: November 25, 2021, 03:14:19 PM »
i use a 6 slot pcd-60b scsi card reader on the warpengine scsi in a A4000 and even checking all luns at boot its pretty fast still. 8 minutes is crazy long.

Offline mechy

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 09:52:34 PM »
A few more things to check, i have had 4000's where the cpu slot was dirty and needed a good cleaning with Deoxit-clean the accelerator and motherboard connectors.
also its not uncommon for the pins in the cpu socket to make bad contact and i have fixed many by going behind each pin on the motherboard side with a needle to bring the contact out a bit,very delicate operation with a thin needle,but has fixed some stubborn problems.
I dont recall reading if you had checked power supply voltages. i find a4000's become flakey on boot at around 4.92v or lower on the 5v rail.

Some of the things you mention make me thinki of a bad OS install,have you tried another drive and or cf card with a fresh basic install?

The warp engine jumpers have some delayed HD booting options,are you sure the jumpers are correct? can you post a picture of the warp engine how you have it jumpered?

As for the mouse acting weird at time,this could be related to power supply issue or bad caps.. A bad CIA etc..but it almost seems software affects this from what you wrote?

Offline mechy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 04:42:46 PM »
Thanks for the picture,
I see nothing wrong with the jumpers other than "D" should be removed to have no wait state ram(if its 60ns ram,remove it).
this would no affect anything.

Are the Amiga motherboard jumpers set to EXT?

even if boot delays were set and luns scanning on it still wouldnt take that much time.
I am using the warpengine in a A4000 with scsi card reader and full device and lun scans and it is still pretty quick.

Its a perplexing problem you have there.

Offline mechy

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 07:00:07 PM »
Everything looks ok settings wise.
Here is the warp engine manual: http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/WarpEngine.pdf

Someone mentioned you have the middle of the cable connected to the scsi card? this is not recommended,but since you had scsi completely disconnected with no change its likely not the problem.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 07:02:18 PM by mechy »