Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frustrated SAM460 owner  (Read 19480 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Frustrated SAM460 owner
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
Buy a newer series card off ebay for pocket change, likely your best bet.

Would I be ticked off if I bought a prebuilt OS4 machine with a 4000 series card in it, only to find out that I'm not going to ever get proper drivers for it?  Yes, I sure would be.

I would ask why vendors ever sold the things with those cards in the machines to begin with, and I'd never do business with them again.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Frustrated SAM460 owner
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »
Was full 3d support ever promised for the 4000 series cards?  If so, I hope those that bought such rigs with 4.1 get some sort of free upgrade to 4.2 where the hardware they purchased with the machines is actually fully supported.  I've always been very interested in the SAM 460, but I'll wait until MOS support comes to it to have the best of both worlds.  Are all the onboard chips on the X1000 and SAM460 now all supported without the need for add on cards?  Been curious about that lately as well, and the fact they weren't on the X1000 actually kept me from buying it.  I don't like buying things twice.

Otherwise it's like me buying a car with a sticker on it that says "this car is only designated for city usage, but a highway usage upgrade will be coming soon" and it never comes, lol.

All this, being said - you can still pick up a 5000 series ATI card for under $30 brand new.  I recently bought one for an older server I've got here for $29.99, in fact.  Passively cooled XFX 5450, and it works just great.

Thanks for the clarification, Amigakit.