Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga One X 1000 and Xena/Xorro  (Read 15851 times)

Description:

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Amiga One X 1000 and Xena/Xorro
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;768247
Don't count on it.

It's indeed not, and therefore unreliable for certain real time applications.

Want to do real time 'stuff'? Use a real time OS and don't mess around (right tool for the job).

I don't say much around here, but this IS NOT constructive criticism. Hans gives a LOT of time to what little is left of the Amiga community. Without his work we likely would have NO RadeonHD driver at all. Is a reply like this really going to help Hans, me, or anyone? Can and have you done better? Lets see some of your work!

How would you like to take a shot someone else's work?, Perhaps Trevor, Matt, Jens, -you get the idea. Please take it to the VxWorks forum and bash those guys for a while.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:12:30 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »
Quote from: Hans_;768256
@Thorham

** I guess that I should add disclaimers and qualifiers here to avoid another snarky reply. Whether or not it will reliably handle a real-time task does, of course, depend on the processing power required, what the timing tolerances are, etc.

*** In some cases, I think that the decision to use PCs instead of PLCs for control may have been influenced by the fact that the PC comes with Solitaire installed. :D

This really sort of ticks me a little. Hans really SHOULDN'T need any disclaimers for "A" holes on this forum. He IS ON OUR TEAM PEOPLE. Perhaps a little genuflection instead.

Back under my rock now before the stones start arriving in spades...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:27:37 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:37 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;768304
If you're running your own software, you could adapt it to turn the OS off. Don't know how easy that is with AOS4+ (same for turning it back on), but it's what I'd do with AOS1/2/3.

Anyway, my first post wasn't intended to be negative. Perhaps the tone was wrong?

@Thorham
My post wasn't meant that way either. Apologies all around.

Onward!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:16:22 AM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »
Projects like the wonderful "Minimig" by Dennis started as a thread if I recall. Several other long time Amiga related sites have many neat projects that start from a single thread or idea, often from one person. The community builds on them by adding yet even more great ideas or suggestions.  Sometimes it goes nowhere, other times a new product is born.  

I think we need all of our great minds assembled one place to brainstorm new ideas, no matter how unrealistic or impractical they may seem at the time of discussion.