Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS has started wigging out on me :-(  (Read 6012 times)

Description:

Offline that_punk_guyTopic starter

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
Re: AROS has started wigging out on me :-(
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 26, 2003, 03:06:10 PM »

falemagn wrote:
Thanks, your effort is very much appreciated :-)

Well, I'm a crap coder so I should make myself useful somehow! ;-)

The results are in and it's bad news I'm afraid :-( I managed to recreate the conditions which stopped AROS booting, and it still affects the 25th November build. I've got the latest (26th) downloading now, will test it in the next hour (I have replace the machine's FDD first because of a freak accident I've just had.)

I think I've narrowed it down somewhat though. This is the order I did things in:

Installed QNX, made a BeOS partition and a FAT32 partition. Put WinME on the FAT32 partition so I could install BeOS from Windows, installed BeOS, then Mandrake Linux. At this point AROS is still booting from CD with no trouble. However Mandrake's LILO overwrites QNX's boot selector and I couldn't for the life of me get LILO to boot QNX or BeOS (although it would boot Windows.)

This is where Smart Boot Manager came in. When you install SBM in the drive's MBR, it keeps the original MBR someplace (is there room in the MBR for both?? I don't know but it's all I can think of...) so that if you choose 'Previous MBR' at the boot selection screen, LILO comes up and you can load Linux.

As soon as SBM's installed, the AROS CDs won't work.

You can find SBM here.

Hope this helps in some way :-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2003, 03:14:11 PM »

Methuselas wrote:
On friday, I tried the latest build and found that it worked fine on my Athlon and my P4... I even tried the HD install and that worked perfectly... (For the first time I might add  )

Matt!!! You got the bootloader working finally??!?? Don't tease, 'cos I LOVE what you guy's are doing.

:-o  :-o  :-o

Yup, I was just tinkering around and I set up an RDB drive, I was about to go through a manual install... then I thought; "hell, why not just use the Auto Installer". So I ran the program "InstallAROS" and that's what it did :-D

Took about an hour of it not looking like it was doing much  to do it, but do it, it did :crazy:

Now I turn on the machine and it boots into Grub, you can see a GRUB screen Flash up that allows you to select which OS to boot, but that goes away really quickly, AROS then ask what screen mode you want and you're in...

I have fully customised the Prefs and start up sequence to get my machine booting like my Old A1200 :-)

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2003, 03:21:31 PM »
Update: Affects 26th November build too. :-(

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2003, 03:23:08 PM »

that_punk_guy wrote:

So it seems that SBM is causing the problems right?

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2003, 03:26:43 PM »

bloodline wrote:

that_punk_guy wrote:

Yeah, although I still don't understand why. I have the BIOS set to boot from CD-ROM as the first priority, it shouldn't (and as far as I can tell, doesn't) even look at the drive's MBR.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2003, 03:30:25 PM »

that_punk_guy wrote:

bloodline wrote:

that_punk_guy wrote:

Yeah, although I still don't understand why. I have the BIOS set to boot from CD-ROM as the first priority, it shouldn't (and as far as I can tell, doesn't) even look at the drive's MBR.

All I can think is that once AROS has loaded into the RAM, it starts to look for a bootable drive (ie the boot CD, an FFS floppy or a FFS hard drive)... SBM must cause the drive to look like an FFS one ,and then AROS tries to boot from it, Thus the "CPU Deadend" you get when it can't find anything meaningfull on it!!

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2003, 05:11:02 PM »
Ok, I'll forward that post on the AROS-Dev ML, if you don't mind. My wild guess is that SMB fiddles with the partition table in such a way that leads AROS to do some division by zero at bootup, but that's all I can draw from this your description. I'll let you know more as soon as this issue is sorted out.

Thanks very much for your effort, it's very much appreciated!