Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Former West Chester CBM Exec Says "Hello" and hints at Special Sale  (Read 8769 times)

Description:

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
Re: Former West Chester CBM Exec Says "Hello" and hints at Special Sale
« Reply #104 from previous page: February 17, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »

CBMer wrote:
I'm still looking around for a right place to add my angles to the history. Maybe I could contribute some to the Ars Series, but I've also got a bunch of materials that could make for a fuller, more detailed presentation somewhere too, if there's a right place for that.

May I suggest that you write a piece in the new user introductions forum for anything you want to write about your personal history as it relates to the amiga.

You might also write in the tutorials forum, with pictures maybe, about the history of commodore from your perspective.

Anything else which does not seem to fit in those forums can go in amiga general chat.

I am sure we would all be interested in anything you had to contribute to this community.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »
@CBMer,

I would like to welcome you to these forums and the A.Org site, but forgive me if I do not grant you the same celebrity status that some others here might give to you.  I come from the camp of Amiga users that harbored a great deal of hate and anger at Commodore's lack of "REAL" marketing of the clearly superior hardware and OS that they had been given.

I don't have any ill will toward you at this time, and as I said, I welcome you to this site and hope you will have lots to offer in the way of entertaining stories and possibly interesting items to offer for sale.

So, welcome aboard, and as suggested, it would be a good idea to introduce yourself properly in the new user introductions forum. :-)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline CBMerTopic starter

• Show only replies by CBMer
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2008, 12:35:42 AM »

amigadave wrote:
@CBMer,

I would like to welcome you to these forums and the A.Org site, but forgive me if I do not grant you the same celebrity status...  I come from the camp of Amiga users that harbored a great deal of hate and anger at Commodore's lack of "REAL" marketing

Well, there was not only some "real marketing", but actually all the more significant within the overall milieu, although I note that it's almost entirely overlooked in the general scheme of things. Or merely denied.

If you keep in mind that I came from "the user base" where I'd been very active with both marketing and professional use of Amigas, you'll realize that not only am I "one of you", but try to imagine my own frustrations and chagrins once in the fray... having to try to operate from that context.

As a matter of fact, the year prior to joining C=, I was the Graphics SIG guy for the Los Angeles Amiga Users Group (LAAUG), one of the largest in the US, and also a regular contributor to the newsletter (produced with Amigas, of course) writing articles, reviews, tutorials, etc. One of my final ones pretty sharply panned C=... and their marketing, much as you and others did and do.

I also co-founded PAX (Professional Amiga eXchange) which was a group of pro users from various industries along with a number of the Amiga products developers, software and hardware. And I'd written for a couple of the Amiga user consumer magazines of the time, about various projects, etc.

And some of us there got not only manifest wins, but even especially notable ones, in some of our respective markets. Frankly, it was these that helped keep the thing going as much as it did, despite the flopping in other areas and overall. It's an ironic albatross for some of us to have had to wear, in that light. Take a look here, for a slight indication;

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/174096756/m/338006530931/p/2

I'm not seeking any celebrity status, frankly. So no prob on that count. But I'm also not interested in any scapegoat status, either, naturally.

[West Chester Headquarters Survivor]

Offline Damion

« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »

downix wrote:

CBMer wrote:
Man, some of you guys are sure cranky.

I was just doing some hanging out with some of you, too.

I just sold a 1084S to a guy tonight for $20. Pristine condition. Did I rip him off?

Imagine trying to do business in such an environment.  Some people have become true trolls.  We even color code them for clarification.

And that seems a pretty fair price for one.

How about taking a look at this thread for an example of "this environment" when people are treated fairly and with respect in said "doing business" environment.

People here are no different than anywhere else. There are "trolls" everywhere, but as a rule, no one responds well to being treated the way a number of amiga-related companies have "done business" with their customers in the past. A little skepticism is probably a good thing.