Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released  (Read 8946 times)

Description:

Offline redfox

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
Downloaded Update 4 and completed update.  Testing out my stuff right now.

Thanks,
redfox

Offline redfox

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »
@gizmo350

Most of my 68K programs are system friendly and work just fine with OS4.  However, I have a few very old programs which require AmigaOS 3.1 and will not work with OS4.  They will however work with E-UAE (the Ubiquitous Amiga Emulator).  Some of the old games expect classic Amiga hardware, which is emulated by E-UAE.

The OS4/PPC version of E-UAE has been available for many years.  E-UAE is the same concept as WinUAE and Amiga Forever.  It allows a person to emulate a classic Amiga on newer hardware.  You require an Amiga Kickstart ROM and Workbench files, which are not included in the E-UAE package.

In my case, I have used E-UAE for several years to create an AmigaOS 3.1 system for a few very old programs which will not run on OS4.  When I launch E-UAE, a Workbench 3.1 Workbench Screen opens up ontop of my OS4 Workbench and I am able to run the old programs just as if I was using my old Amiga 2000HD.  This method has worked ok for me.

The RunInUAE package included with OS4 Update 4 automates many of the steps I currently do manually.  I have not tried this program yet..  I am assuming the Amiga Kickstart ROMs and Workbench files have been included with OS4 Update 4 to make it easier for people to use E-UAE and RunInUAE.  Many people still like to run older games.

---
redfox
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:05:47 PM by redfox »

Offline redfox

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »
@gizmo350
how do you load your 68K software from your old floppys onto your OS4 machine... or do you download (or create) ADFs?

That's the million dollar question.  My OS4 system does not have a floppy disk drive.  Back when I first built my OS4 system, I purchased Amiga Explorer to copy some programs from my old A2000HD hard drive to a pc where I burned them to a CD-RW disc.  Then I copied the files from the CD to my OS4 hard drive.  That is how I installed Final Writer 97 on my OS4 system (copied the entire FinalWriter drawer from my old system to CD and then to my new system).  Since that time, I have downloaded some programs, such as TVPaint, Real3D and Imagine 3.0 which unarchive into ADF files (or floppies).  I used E-UAE to install TVPaint, Real3D and Imagine 3.0 onto my AmigaOS 3.1 Workbench partition which is actaully just a drawer on my one of my OS4 partitions.  Once these programs were installed on the hard drive, I just moved the program drawers to a more convenient location where I could easily use them directly from OS4.

Back in the day, I also used Amiga Explorer to copy the AmigaOS 3.1 Workbench, Install and Extras floppies as ADF files to the CD-RW disc.  Same with my Amiga kickstart ROM.  Now these files come standard with the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4.

E-UAE can mount ADF files as floppy disks.

---
redfox

Offline redfox

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »
@Rob

Thanks for suggesting Disk Image Device.  I will give it a try.

---
redfox