Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why CUSA's need to take Pre-Orders?  (Read 4703 times)

Description:

Offline ValisTopic starter

• Show only replies by Valis
Why CUSA's need to take Pre-Orders?
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
Since there seems to be a lot of CUSA activity here I thought this might be a good place for a some decent discussion.  I've seen recently the C64x has been offered for "pre order" on the Commodore website.  

I'm curious as to why a company that has millions of dollars in advertising revenue alone would need to start pre-ordering months in advance, for June in this case, instead of just waiting until they have their product ready to actually deliver.

Seems curious when they are so obviously tied to a community that is so fraught with a long history of pre-order disasters.  Many of those unintentional, but from honest people that got in over their heads and couldn't deliver what they though they could at the last minute.

Just was wanted to see what CUSA representatives here had to say about the reason for a multi-million dollar company taking money well in advance of having product ready to ship.  

Look forward to the discussion.  Thanks.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Why CUSA's need to take Pre-Orders?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:59:41 PM »
Cos Barry after buying a shipload of redundant PC motherboards needed to find out how many mugs were out there that were looking for retro stuff. He knew these mugs would pay a hell of a lot more for these old motherboards if he stuffed them in an old retro style case rather sell them off to folk who knew what they were and just how little they are really worth... ;)

Actually quite shrewd to be honest, but  I still don't like him... :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »
If you are worried about it, use a Visa or Mastercard, you have more then enough consumer protection to safe guard your purchase.  Now if they were only accepting bank drafts, now that would be pretty dodgy.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:13:11 PM »
@Valis

Valid question that has still gone unanswered.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »
Quote from: Valis;629647
Since there seems to be a lot of CUSA activity here I thought this might be a good place for a some decent discussion.

You couldn't have been more wrong. They have their own forums, where i'd imagine you'd get a better response.

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »
Same reason as to why you have to wait 3 weeks for a VIC.

CUSA doesn't have anything in stock.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
Quote from: Valis;629647
Seems curious when they are so obviously tied to a community that is so fraught with a long history of pre-order disasters.
Are they? My impression is that the said community wants nothing to do with C=USA and they're actually targeting a totally different crowd (nu-retro folks.. someone who doesn't care what is inside the box as long as it looks nice & runs facebook and messenger). Makes sense, after all this nu-retro scene has a huge potential compared to the tiny classic retro crowd.

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Quote from: CSixx;629657
You couldn't have been more wrong. They have their own forums, where i'd imagine you'd get a better response.

+1

Yeah it has been made painfully obvious that decent discussion is no longer appreciated at Amiga.org but I digress..

In answer to your original question, many if not most companies take pre-orders...   I am certain that if I had a DIME into a project of this magnitude I would take pre-orders as well...

If folks don't like the pre-ordering offer for whatever reason, then don't pre-order...

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
Quote from: Piru;629660
Are they? My impression is that the said community wants nothing to do with C=USA and they're actually targeting a totally different crowd (nu-retro folks.. someone who doesn't care what is inside the box as long as it looks nice & runs facebook and messenger). Makes sense, after all this nu-retro scene has a huge potential compared to the tiny classic retro crowd.

Out of curiosity, what makes a PC in a C64 case an interest to an amiga community, as opposed to a C64 one?

Im not actually trying to be snide here, I think its a cool idea, if overpriced for what you get.
But Im not sure there's much relevance other than "the company that made your computer also made this other computer, so here's a netbook power PC put into that case".
A PC in a spectrum case would be as relevant.

If I was in the market for something "retro amiga" that isnt my 1200, I'd go with Morph OS instead

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »
Regarding the subject, the way I've heard this story is that the first batch of orders is going to a big-box retailer, thus delaying sales to individuals. Just repeating what I've read.

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »
now if they were only accepting bank drafts, now that would be pretty dodgy.

:lol:

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »
Because it's all a load of -moderated-?

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 06:52:29 PM »
You know I find it amazing all the folks who say they'd love one of these C64x cases, Why.... ???

I mean have you ever owned or used an original C64 breadbox style case, it's the worst design ever when it comes to doing any prolonged typing on, the C64c case was far more comfortable to use... :)

It's not like this case is something new and has never been seen or available before, if you really wanted a C64 case then for donkeys years they have been and still are available on eBay, so why not if you really want a C64 breadbox style case just buy the genuine article on eBay rip the MB out and do whatever it is you need this case for... :)

It's way beyond me why anyone thinks this C64x case is so amazing and a "must have" or "cool" item... I just don't get it... :confused:

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
Quote from: runequester;629664
Out of curiosity, what makes a PC in a C64 case an interest to an amiga community, as opposed to a C64 one?

Im not actually trying to be snide here, I think its a cool idea, if overpriced for what you get.
But Im not sure there's much relevance other than "the company that made your computer also made this other computer, so here's a netbook power PC put into that case".
A PC in a spectrum case would be as relevant.

If I was in the market for something "retro amiga" that isnt my 1200, I'd go with Morph OS instead

As has been stated multiple times it is relevant if it resides in the part of the forum that addresses other operating systems or computer systems.  Pretty much anything is fair game in that location.  Once again if folks don't like it don't open the threads..

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 06:56:43 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;629666
Regarding the subject, the way I've heard this story is that the first batch of orders is going to a big-box retailer, thus delaying sales to individuals. Just repeating what I've read.

Doesn't explain the need for pre-orders.

Most companies won't take your money until they have product ready to ship.