Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gameduino  (Read 1606 times)

Description:

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Gameduino
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »
I'm sure this has popped up on another thread somewhere. But most here will know that I enjoy playing with Microcontrollers, and by far the best hobby platform I have found is the Arduino.

Anyway, the Gameduino project is a little "sub board" based on an FPGA that provides graphics and audio output, with a similar specification to the A500 (actually the video modes are lower resolution but with better sprite hardware, and its copper is actually a full CPU)... I'm curious about FPGAs and will be seeing what it would take to increase its addressable RAM and increase the video modes...

But the reason why I bring this board up, is that it is loosely as powerful as the Amiga chipset (similar features), but is connected via an SPI interface so is CPU agnostic... It would have been nice if the Amiga had been developed like this :)

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Gameduino
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »
You mean this thingy... :)

gameduino-arduino-for-gamers

I read about it a couple of days ago, seems quite interesting, did you get one and if so what's it like... :)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »
I have to check it's you and not KESA now :roflmao:

And....in 1985? or 1992/3 in AGA years. Either way all Amiga computers can have a different CPU unless you meant 680x0 <==> 80x86 type interchangeability.

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;627187
I have to check it's you and not KESA now :roflmao:

And....in 1985? or 1992/3 in AGA years. Either way all Amiga computers can have a different CPU unless you meant 680x0 <==> 80x86 type interchangeability.
The Amiga's Chipset is built around the 68000 bus, this chipset is built around the very simple SPI bus and I find that quite a fun idea... Like a low cost, low speed PCI :)

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »
What about the GP2x Wiz/Caanoo  (about 140 Euros)
or the Dingoo A320/A330 (about 70 Euros)
or, best and most expensive of all, the Pandora (about 360 Euros)?

These are all powerful handhelds, with tv-out, and all have Amiga emulators. :)

I myself have a GP2x Wiz and with the OLED display, it really has the "Amiga" feeling, much more than on the pc.
Though the emulator hasn't been updated for more than a year :( (so if you have some time left ;) )
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:04:59 PM by Speelgoedmannetje »
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
I like the iCade way of styling myself. Get one of these things, stick it inside an old Coleco/Grandstand tabletop game and ram some mini arcade controllers and 4" LCD screens inside them :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;627182
I'm sure this has popped up on another thread somewhere. But most here will know that I enjoy playing with Microcontrollers, and by far the best hobby platform I have found is the Arduino.

Anyway, the Gameduino project is a little "sub board" based on an FPGA that provides graphics and audio output, with a similar specification to the A500 (actually the video modes are lower resolution but with better sprite hardware, and its copper is actually a full CPU)... I'm curious about FPGAs and will be seeing what it would take to increase its addressable RAM and increase the video modes...

But the reason why I bring this board up, is that it is loosely as powerful as the Amiga chipset (similar features), but is connected via an SPI interface so is CPU agnostic... It would have been nice if the Amiga had been developed like this :)

That does look a lot of fun, I must say.
int p; // A