Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CD-ROM on A500...is it possible?  (Read 1057 times)

Description:

Offline nagaflasTopic starter

• Show only replies by nagaflas
    • http://www.twitter.com/shaun_fossett/
CD-ROM on A500...is it possible?
« on: July 14, 2005, 09:03:20 PM »
I picked up a SCSI portable CDROM from Goodwill for $4US. It has a SCSI port on the back. It also came with a wire that connects to the SCSI port on the CDROM that goes into a PCMCIA card.

My question is simply this: is it possible to get this to work on my miggy 500, and if so, how?

Thanx in advance.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Re: CD-ROM on A500...is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 09:05:44 PM »
It should work, if you have a SCSI controller. I had a CRAPPY 1X SCSI CDRom attached to my old A500, via a Trumpcard SCSI controller's daisy chain.

Of course, I haven't had an a500, since 1996. ^_~ By then, I had upgrated to my a2000 and only a year later, got my a3000, before it took a dump and died. *frowns*
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline gafstu

• Show only replies by gafstu
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:08:10 PM »
another option would be to get yourself an A570 cd-rom..

Offline BenShep

• Show only replies by BenShep
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:08:30 PM »
gvp hd+ is another option which has a external scsi port on it - in addition to giving you a hd and extra ram.

Offline nagaflasTopic starter

• Show only replies by nagaflas
    • http://www.twitter.com/shaun_fossett/
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 09:10:50 PM »
Damn. ya'll are quick!!!

Thanks for the info, guys.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:36:26 PM »
I used a SCSI CD-ROM (7 CD changer) on my A500 with Dataflyer 500 SCSI controller.  It's really no different than using a SCSI CD-ROM on any other Amiga.  You need a suitable controller, and CDFS software.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline TjLaZer

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:57:32 PM »
I also picked up one of those and hooked it up to my A590, works great with Xetex CDFS or Babel CDFS under KS 1.3
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:49:09 AM »
The Commodore CDTV is another relation if you can get one cheaply on eBay. It's an A500 + A570 combo in a sleek black case!

:-D

Offline MuLTiViEW

• Show only replies by MuLTiViEW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 11:57:01 AM »
 One of the best solutions I found.... (and I found two)  to get CD ROM drives to work on An A500 is the following:

Get a DATAFLYER 500 (IDE, SCSI, or IDE+SCSI combo) off of EbAY next time u see one.

They usually have several of these.   Or for that matter, any GVP accelerator provided it has scsi with it and the external SCSI port.

I use a Smart N Friendly CD-Writer External to switch back n forth between my PC, A3000 and A500+

I have a dataflyer combo for the A500+ with m-tec's 020 board.

The combo is good because not only do I have the cable/external connector in which to plug this into, but I also could.... if I wanted to.  use a simple SCSI ribbon cable or even an IDE cable to use an IDE CD Rom drive.

Not only that, the other way I found is useful, is a Budda IDE board plugged into the very same Dataflyer-adapter.  Because the Dataflyer's card can come out and go into a 3000 or 2000 or even a 4000's zorro slots.

Chances are if you are serious about adding a CD ROM drive to your A500, you might as well be hunting down two things for your 500.

1.  An EAGLE TOWER CASE  that an A500 motherboard can fit nicely into.  I believe it comes with a zorro expansion slot to add zorro cards.

2. Make your own tower case, and then get a slingshot pro ( I believe it's called)  One was on aminet this past week and I missed it!  Grrr...  This only has 3 card slots . But hey!  thats great.  That's a graphics card, a harddrive card and an 8mb RAM board baby!

toss in a CSA Derringer 030 @50mhz, and watch your IRC friends freak when you fly into chat on an ancient A500.

In fact, the best A500 system I ever encountered,  was in an Eagle Tower Kit, with a Picasso II graphics card, a Dataflyer COMBO board for IDE+SCSI, an ASDG Dual Serial board, and an internal CSA Derringer @50mhz with 32mb RAM.

That was on an old A500+ with the full 2mb chip ram expansion.

Not bad for a "relic"   It was surfing the net as late as last year.

Two CD rom drives were in it, one IDE and one SCSI writer.

So if you really want to hobby around,  know that it "is possible"  ;)

coming soon from Morrowind DVD
a movie starring:  dONKeY
 \\"Shadow of Corky the Guar\\"