Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Data Recovery (formatted NTSC drive)  (Read 5144 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Data Recovery (formatted NTSC drive)
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
Not sure where to post this, so I'm posting here:

A while ago I was going to format a USB stick with the HP Format Tool, and chose the wrong drive (a 4Tb drive will ALL my musick, apps, games, vintage, etc. on it from over 20 years of collecting).

The Tool said the drive was in use and it could not be formatted. "Pheewwwww" I thought, as I realized what I had done.

Well regardless of what it said, it formatted it, as it is no longer readable by any OS, so I ran the Easus Data Recovery sofware on it before doing ANYTHING else to it. It took about a week, but it recovered the drive to another 4Tb which I was forced to order. The space used ended up about the same, but....wtf...

...folders are missing the entire contents, folders which I accessed the most like my Applications folder for restoring and setting computers after a fresh install. All my work tools, Amiga programs, MP3's/Flac's etc.
 Everything MOST important, MISSING.

Why would this be? And if it is missing, then why does the hard drive reflect that that space is still used?

THere are lost folders and files in root, but I'm not seeing the stuff I"m looking for. This is odd and I'm wondering if I should not use Easus and use something else instead?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Thomas

Re: Data Recovery (formatted NTSC drive)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »
I would try a chkdsk on the destination disk.

Offline zipper

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:19:01 PM »
Try Recuva (it's free) in Deep Scan mode - no idea if it gets a better result and it will also take a long time to scan.

Offline amiman99

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »
Did you do FULL FORMAT or QUICK?

I did full format once by mistake and I could not recover anything, but quick format IS possible.
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline Plaz

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;769715
Why would this be? And if it is missing, then why does the hard drive reflect that that space is still used?

Possible the tool you used didn't recognize all the different file types you had saved so didn't know how to properly recover them. You may have to use more than one tool and do separate passes with each to pick up all the different types.

Here's a free one I ran across that might be worth a try.
Though it doesn't know native Amiga files, it may do well on most everything else and does say it has unformat ability.
 http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Have a look at this review first too.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224577/6_data_recovery_tools_for_SD_cards_USB_drives_and_more?taxonomyId=150&pageNumber=2

Good luck.

Plaz

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »
It was a quick format, and the drive had only been formatted to NTSC one time since I first bought it.

Will test PhotoRec as well as the free TestDisk which I am reaing is supposed to be exceptional
 If both fail, I will then try Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery which is also rumoured to be exceptional somehow.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline amiman99

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 05:32:15 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;769723
...and the drive had only been formatted to NTSC ...
You have been saying "formatted to NTSC", what do you mean? Is is for PC, Amiga? (NTSC is a N.A Video Standard)

Quick format should be easy to recover from mentioned tools, just try not to write anything to the drive.
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32

Offline Pentad

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
I think he means NTFS, not NTSC.  I was confused at first too.
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Quote from: Pentad;769727
I think he means NTFS, not NTSC.  I was confused at first too.

No no, I meant PAL. ;)

Offline Pentad

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
Quote from: xdelusion;769732
no no, i meant pal. ;)

:-)  lol!
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline amiman99

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 08:01:59 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;769732
No no, I meant PAL. ;)
Now, that make sense now! :hat:
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »
I would second the suggestion of trying Recuva.  It's a dumb name, but it's free, and has had very good results for me in recovering damaged partitions.

A 4tb drive can be running into a lot of issues, regardless, though.  Certain controllers and NTFS block sizes can cause serious chaos.  Make sure your controller and OS support partitions of the size you're working with.  

Make sure you don't write anything to the original drive, and double and triple check your steps.  There is a lot of peril there.

If you totally fail, there's always OnTrack.  You'll have to send the drives to them.  And they cost some money.  But they're like dark magicians at data recovery.  They can do unholy things.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:14 PM »
Quote from: Ilwrath;769738
I would second the suggestion of trying Recuva.  It's a dumb name, but it's free, and has had very good results for me in recovering damaged partitions.

A 4tb drive can be running into a lot of issues, regardless, though.  Certain controllers and NTFS block sizes can cause serious chaos.  Make sure your controller and OS support partitions of the size you're working with.  

Make sure you don't write anything to the original drive, and double and triple check your steps.  There is a lot of peril there.

If you totally fail, there's always OnTrack.  You'll have to send the drives to them.  And they cost some money.  But they're like dark magicians at data recovery.  They can do unholy things.

Unholy things you say? Well if worse comes to worse, I may just goto them.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 01:26:56 AM »
I've had pretty good luck with Recuva.  For actual drive integrity problems and drive maintenance, I swear by Spinrite.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 02:12:15 AM »
Quote from: Duce;769745
I've had pretty good luck with Recuva.  For actual drive integrity problems and drive maintenance, I swear by Spinrite.

Spinrite added to my list of programs to try. I might as well make a comparison while I'm at it, unless of course during my testing I just find one that is PERFECT, then I'll quit and declair a king. :)