Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daylight saving bug  (Read 3859 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
Re: Daylight saving bug
« on: October 28, 2007, 09:52:33 PM »
The new DST rules also provide an opportunity for operating system vendors, like Microsoft and Sun, to require exorbitant amounts of money to provide a patch for older operating systems.

I don't know about Microsoft, because as well as a patch for purchase they also provided registry entries for Windows 2000.  Sun, however, wanted an existing service contract or the purchase of one for $10k per machine to provide a patch for anything older than Solaris 8.

It so happens that I have a box running Solaris 7 providing secondary MX and NS.  When the woman at Sun quoted me $10k per server, I told her that my machine is a 40MHz SparcStation IPX, and if I had $10k laying around I would have bought a Netra or something.

Fortunately, the base of most Unix DST rules is freeware, and it was a simple matter of compiling and testing.  Wham!  Solaris 7 now StupidUSA-DST compliant.

[EDIT: A Netra or more Amiga kit!!  :crazy: ]

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 12:59:48 PM »
Floid wrote:

The question is why you haven't standardized on UTC for a production machine.  Is it because it's a MX?

I have no compelling reason to do so at this time.

Offline LoadWB

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:13:54 PM »
Could be an artifact in the older version of the board software a.org runs to remain compatible with Amiga browsers, which would be a seemingly fair trade-off.

I have had customers call me about the time on my servers being wrong, when it is actually the application which calculates the zone's DST information.  Blah.