Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Setting up a Video Toaster Flyer system  (Read 3740 times)

Description:

Offline mbrantleyTopic starter

Setting up a Video Toaster Flyer system
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
One of my issues with the Flyer system project I have going on is touched on quite a bit in a marketplace thread at http://amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=704951#post704951 but I thought it would be better if I started a new thread on the subject in the right place.

I have an Amiga 2000 with a 68060 accelerator board, a boatload of fast ram, 2MB of chip ram, and Indivision flicker fixer, a Video Toaster and a Personal Animation Recorder card with attached hard drive just for the PAR. There is also a Deneb USB card, and the system boots from a USB thumb drive attached to the Deneb. The 2000 has 3.1 kickstart and runs AOS 3.9.

I have just got the latest/last Video Toaster/Flyer 4.3 software from NewTek, and I also have here a Flyer card. The Toaster is installed and working (still with older 4.1 software), but the Flyer card is not in the machine and never has been. I just bought it for $20. :-)

I want to install the Flyer card and use this machine for some "retro" nonlinear editing. I'll either track down a trio of SCSI hard drives and run cables to a second enclosure or track down SCSI-to-IDE converters and run the Flyer from a trio of Compast Flash cards. (The SCSI-to-IDE converters seem to be harder to find now and more costly than they were just a couple of years ago, unfortunately.)

My stumbling block is the ribbon cable that should connect the Flyer card with the Toaster card inside the computer. I don't have it, and I'm getting conflicticting information on it.

Plaz was kind enough to provide a very nice photo of the cable he made, and that's in the abovementioned thread. I believe I can make this if necessary, but I need to know for certain that the cable that connects a Flyer with a Toaster 4000 and the cable that connects a Flyer with a Toaster 2000 is the same -- or not. I've been told both ways.

Also, I need to know where exactly to plug in the cable on the Toaster 2000. I see two 16-pin headers that are not labeled on my Toaster 2000 card. On the Flyer, there is clearly a 20-pin header labeled Toaster I/O.

Anybody know -- for certain? Anybody got pictures of how this goes together? Diagrams? Any documentation? I have no manuals or instructions for this stuff, alas.

Best yet -- anybody have this cable as a spare and willing to part with it? I was told by one person that the Flyer originally shipped with both 4000 and 2000 cables (which would indicate they are not the same).

Or.... anybody got a Toaster/Flyer setup they'd be willing to sell? Or a Toaster/Flyer set of cards with all necessary cabling? Wouldn't mind having a spare.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:28:16 PM by mbrantley »

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
Re: Setting up a Video Toaster Flyer system
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »
I have the EXACT same problem. Transition had supposedly sent the cable to me but it never showed up. The cable is the only piece preventing me from using the whole setup (that I have a good chunk of change invested in). Please if anyone can locate a couple of these it would be much appreciated. Maybe AmigaKit could make up a couple?
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:59:43 AM »
For the Toaster 4000, the "cable" actually replaces the BNC I/O board (with the 4 inputs and preview and program connectors). With Toasters and Flyers so often being sold separately these days, the cable tends to (inadvertently) stay with the Toaster instead of the Flyer. It look me a long time to find one after I got my Flyer.

Can't remember the details on the Toaster 2000. It is described in the manual (some versions, at least; mine are unfortunately far away at the moment). I think Pyromania did a scan. DLH has it on his site.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 06:49:13 AM »
Matt, thanks for the link to DLH's site. Also found it on DiscreetFX's Open Video Toaster site. I downloaded the Toaster 4000 manual, which includes instructions for installing the Flyer with the Toaster 2000 as well. Page 28 tells and show how to connect the ribbon cable. Looks like the cable Plaz made (which is pictured in the above-linked Marketplace thread) is what I need to make or find.

gizmo, I hope we both get our Flyer setups working soon and can compare notes!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:51:34 AM by mbrantley »

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show only replies by Ami_GFX
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »
@mbrantly

I just looked through my Toaster paperwork and found a pinout for a Toaster 2000/Flyer/YCPlus S-video board cable which looks like it just piggy backs the YCPlus connector onto the Toaster 2000/Flyer cable when I compare it to the photo Plaz posted. I've got to rush off to a meeting that I don't really want to go to right now but I'd be happy to scan it for you. Even better, I know I once made one of these cables and if I can find it and it's in usable shape, I'd be happy to send it to you for $5, shipping included.

Send me a PM. I'll be home this evening.
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:27 PM »
Transition is DiscreetFX....  guess I'll have to back to trying to score from Ted...  (whom quit this forum) sheesh... anyway if I could at least get a pinout of the cable maybe I could just make one.. thanks for the reply!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:50 AM »
Ami_GFX, PM just sent.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:11:13 AM »
Page 47 figure 9. Seems to show the same cable from my photo.

Plaz

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:29:41 AM »
Plaz, you should go into business making these cables! You'd have a market of, ahem, well.... two. :-)

Offline Plaz

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 03:40:50 AM »
Newtek was charging $25+shipping a pop when you could get them. But I'm afraid that after a worldwide sales blitz of maybe 5 cables, I'd quickly be out of business. If you continue to struggle getting one, I can make another. I made the two I have, but don't have any more parts handy. I could do something like remake an old floppy cable. It would work fine, but the connectors would look kinda ratty.

Plaz

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 03:58:51 AM »
I've got a spare Toaster 2000 kicking around that I wouldn't mind pairing with another Flyer, so make that 6 cables :)

Actually, this might be the kind of thing that AmigaKit could do.

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
I would be another customer, if such cables were being made.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Offline Ami_GFX

• Show only replies by Ami_GFX
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »
Ok, here is a scan of the Toaster2000/Flyer/YCPlus pinout. It looks like you would just have to eliminate the YCPlus extension to have a Toaster2000/Flyer cable.
A2500 owned since 1993 with A2630/DKB 2632, DKB Megachip, GVP EGS Spectrum, A2320 and GVP HC+8 on the inside and a DCTV on the outside. A4000D with CSPPC, Cybervision 64 and a Flicker Magic flicker fixer. A4000T Toaster Flyer & CSMKII. All systems completly retro and classic and mostly used to do geometic art as in my avatar.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
Nice!!! Thx!  :)

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
Just a follow-up note to say I have just made my A2000/060 Video Toaster Flyer system functional. I have two of three 36GB SCSI hard drives connected at this time for video streams A and B. Before I can get the third drive online I will need to figure out how to house and power it. I found an old two-drive external SCSI enclosure in my closet but I have not found anything to hold the other drive yet. Man, the stuff I used to have and discarded! Anyway, I did make the Toaster-to-Flyer ribbon cable myself.

So, anybody got a TBC I can have? ;-)