Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.  (Read 5415 times)

Description:

Offline nikodrTopic starter

• Show only replies by nikodr
Re: Aros ppc port to ps3.Now that we have homebrew.
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 21, 2011, 01:16:19 AM »
Sdk installed succesfuly.I tested to make the applications included and they seem to compile ok generating the needed elf files,i also downloaded the utilities geohot used and others to make pkg files,so the next step is that i am downloading the aros source for ppc from http://aros.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/nightly-download?20110120/Binaries/AROS-20110120-linux-ppc-system.tar.bz2 once it is downloaded i will try to make a configure for a ps3 output and see what it does.

Will notify all.Let's pray this works.

EDIT: I am not trying to be a smart guy or something,i just need all the help i can get for this.I know it may sound strange to want to port aros to ps3,but if someone can help practically and offer some advice i would be glad to have it.I dont want to make you have other opinions regarding the state of ps3 if it a good console computer or something.I believe as a hobby idea it would be cool and fun to watch sony's machine to run aros :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:20:06 AM by nikodr »

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 01:50:42 AM »
As a hobby project it's well worth a try.

If you're having fun, who cares if its "worth while" to other people.

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »
Quote from: coldfish;607998
As a hobby project it's well worth a try.

If you're having fun, who cares if its "worth while" to other people.

Thanks.Now i really need the original source code of aros,most of those ppc versions require linux,i want to do something different,i want to port it and make an executable for xmb game os,so i think i need the original sources of aros without any linux on them.

so are those the files
http://aros.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/nightly-download?20110120/Sources/AROS-20110120-source.tar.bz2 ?

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 02:03:05 AM »
Quote from: nikodr;607992
Sdk installed succesfuly.I tested to make the applications included and they seem to compile ok generating the needed elf files,i also downloaded the utilities geohot used and others to make pkg files,so the next step is that i am downloading the aros source for ppc from http://aros.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/nightly-download?20110120/Binaries/AROS-20110120-linux-ppc-system.tar.bz2 once it is downloaded i will try to make a configure for a ps3 output and see what it does.

Will notify all.Let's pray this works.

EDIT: I am not trying to be a smart guy or something,i just need all the help i can get for this.I know it may sound strange to want to port aros to ps3,but if someone can help practically and offer some advice i would be glad to have it.I dont want to make you have other opinions regarding the state of ps3 if it a good console computer or something.I believe as a hobby idea it would be cool and fun to watch sony's machine to run aros :)

This board is infamous for having 50 tools telling you not to bother and insulting you and your 5 next of kin for trying.  Be prepared...

One time there was this guy named Dennis who said he could make an Amiga clone using an fpga.  You should have seen how many people ended up with pie in their face.  Look up "Minimig" for reference. ;-)

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 02:04:25 AM »
Quote from: nikodr;607999
Thanks.Now i really need the original source code of aros,most of those ppc versions require linux,i want to do something different,i want to port it and make an executable for xmb game os,so i think i need the original sources of aros without any linux on them.

so are those the files
http://aros.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/nightly-download?20110120/Sources/AROS-20110120-source.tar.bz2 ?

yes those are the nightly sources. tho you would be best signing up for the dev-ml and asking questions there.
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 02:13:37 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;608002
yes those are the nightly sources. tho you would be best signing up for the dev-ml and asking questions there.

Thanks for that will check it out later.It appears the sdk is installed ok,i can output any program i want and i get an elf file for ps3,i also now have the geohot utilities for making pkg files.Now i need help to setup a different configure file that would understand the ps3 sdk parameters,now this is where i need help.

I went to the people of ps1ght sdk joined irc and asked them questions,let's hope we get some answers,i will probably go to the dev-ml like you said.

If you know anyone who can help me in this please send me a message and tell me who to talk to.
Kind regards.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 02:21:05 AM »
Quote from: nikodr;608005
Thanks for that will check it out later.It appears the sdk is installed ok,i can output any program i want and i get an elf file for ps3,i also now have the geohot utilities for making pkg files.Now i need help to setup a different configure file that would understand the ps3 sdk parameters,now this is where i need help.

I went to the people of ps1ght sdk joined irc and asked them questions,let's hope we get some answers,i will probably go to the dev-ml like you said.

If you know anyone who can help me in this please send me a message and tell me who to talk to.
Kind regards.

You've already gone in way over my head on this.
Btw - I'd like to second the sentiment that stated you shouldn't the negative comments too seriously. Good luck.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 02:22:56 AM »
Quote from: lou_dias;608000
This board is infamous for having 50 tools telling you not to bother and insulting you and your 5 next of kin for trying.  Be prepared...

One time there was this guy named Dennis who said he could make an Amiga clone using an fpga.  You should have seen how many people ended up with pie in their face.  Look up "Minimig" for reference. ;-)

Thanks for the kind words,i will try to see what i can come up with.I now managed to build my first pkg file.So i got familiar with how to make pkg signed for geohot 3.55 firmware or unsigned for the new hacked firmwares.

Now let's hope the developers of the sdk provide some help.
:)

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 03:14:29 AM »
http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/developers/porting.php#creating-a-makefile-by-hand i have been reading this and i am trying to make a new makefile by hand right now.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 04:45:55 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;608006
Btw - I'd like to second the sentiment that stated you shouldn't the negative comments too seriously. Good luck.

3rded too. Indeed, if we all lived by sensibilities, we wouldn't have OS4.1, 4.0, AmigaOnes, Sams, etc. at all. If you're interested, go for it!
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 04:56:54 AM »
Quote from: billt;608024
3rded too. Indeed, if we all lived by sensibilities, we wouldn't have OS4.1, 4.0, AmigaOnes, Sams, etc. at all. If you're interested, go for it!

Or MorphOS, AROS, or FPGA projects and all legacy hardware users would be running Window. Yes, its definitely time to stop making sense.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 05:10:28 AM »
As someone who just purchased his first standalone Blu-Ray player for watching movies at home, I might consider the purchase of a PS3 for use in another room of the house, if it could run AmigaOS4.x, or MorphOS2.x, plus Linux, at a decent speed.  The PS3 would be a better choice to run AmigaOS4.x on than a SAM440/460 price wise, plus it would have the advantage of being able to run current games on & watch Blu-Ray movies, which almost all future movie purchases will be on, or combined DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Copy.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Quote from: nikodr;608019
http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/developers/porting.php#creating-a-makefile-by-hand i have been reading this and i am trying to make a new makefile by hand right now.

I doubt this will work for compiling AROS itself; it is only for programs to be run under AROS.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
Fats i know,i downloaded aros source code from http://aros.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/nightly-download?20110121/Sources/AROS-20110121-source.tar.bz2 and i am trying to make a new configure file.I am just trying to find the options in the configs
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:32:13 PM by nikodr »

Offline Cammy

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
Good luck, nicodr! Although I don't have a PS3 myself, I think it's a wonderful idea to try and get Aros running on them. I know a few people who have PS3s who might like to run an operating system on it, and I think something like Broadway would work well on a games console.

Keep up the noble work, the Amiga community needs more people like you!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:40:50 PM by Cammy »
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »
Now that the keys have been made public it is piracy that will explode onto the PS3 scene not homebrew sadly.

Having said that the PS3 is a closed quantified architecture (required) powerful (nice to have) and cheaply available and millions installed in homes (essential). Also the PS3 should be available for at least another 8 years to buy.

I think it's worth porting AROS to PS3. It does tick all the right boxes for a closed platform, just add keyboard and mouse.

I wish you good luck my friend. If someone ports something like Blitz Basic to AROS I will even write games for it too :)