Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kickstarter for buying and open source Amiga OS  (Read 4957 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Kickstarter for buying and open source Amiga OS
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;745701
Buy Amiga OS and open source it. By using Kickstarter you might attract more of the casual users.

I'm not doing a poll on this because I don't know how much they would sell it for.
What do you think?
Are there any possible legal problems?

But you "don't believe in open source".

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=745700&postcount=35
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;745712
open source can be used in closed source forks usually. the only thing is to find some reason to make the people buy those. so open source is the bottom line. aros might even become a resource for a new closed source paid for amiga os implementation if anyone ever bothered.

I do believe there's a fair bit of in MorphOS already.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;745718
Not to be an egghead or anything, but when you say 'SMP' do you actually mean 'Symmetric MultiProcessing' or do you mean 'some way to utilise multiple cores'. ;)

https://gitorious.org/aros/aros/graph/silly-smp

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;745722
Soon people will learn why open source is a very cool thing, won't they Nik? ;)

I have no idea what you're talking about Matt. None whatsoever. ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;745734
Lies!!!

Of course, it's not possible at all remember? ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;745738
Well lets see:
- would this be 100% source-code compatible to anything written for AmigaOS3.x ?

- would this run stable while executing legacy code on a (non-existant) dual 680x0 setup ?

Noone ever said that it was impossible to write an SMP-OS with an API similar to AmigaOS running recompiled (and patched) SW.

Why don't you ask the author?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:34:36 AM »
For you Morphos/AmigsOS developers - if you would like to bounce ideas off of me with respect to adding SMP to your operating system of choice, feel free to contact me, or just silently watch my 'silly-smp' branch on gitorious.org

AROS (in my humble option) is here for the betterment of all AmigaOS-alike operating systems. We blaze the trail to the unexplored lands.

+1 :pint: