Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Funny but true  (Read 4370 times)

Description:

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Funny but true
« on: September 20, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
Loving it on my laptop, it's actually very easy to use. I'm lucky enough to be old enough to have gone through the Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 change which also had the same comments flying around.

"Oh the start menu will never work, it will be a flop" etc ;-)

The start menu is still there, it's the metro UI (or whatever they want to call it now), click on the desktop app, hover the mouse where the start menu usually is, up pops the metro menu.

Run the mouse pointer down the left hand side of the screen and up pops the new task bar with large icon previews of each app, which is far more informative than the old.

Run the mouse pointer down the right hand side brings up settings for apps and the computer depending on what app you're currently in. PC settings down the bottom brings up the control panel.

Pin anything you like to the metro menu, expand out and see all apps. I've created groups and added the games and apps I need.

Many more cool things.

Anyway, doesn't matter what I say there will be some replies complaining and as per history the same old arguments will come up.

All this will calm down and people will adapt just like they did when the start menu appeared.

There's always the odd few stuck in their ways, these same people will more than likely  prefer Windows 3.11.

I've seen 5 year old's adapt to windows 8 like fish to water. Some have never used a computer before but they seemed to find it more natural.

Anyway things are changing and we will move further and further away from what we see a computer as being today.

I can't stand sitting at a desk anymore.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;708778
How do you play games then? Standing and moving your fingers on a pad (oops it just fell down!)? :)

Old school Amiga, sitting on a bean bag with a joystick.

PC gaming with a laptop in the lounge.

On the move it's either the PSP or Android phone.

I just can't bring myself to sit in a computer chair at a desk, have done that for far too long :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
As expected the old complaints and arguments roll in, to be honest it's not worth getting into the same discussion that was had back in 1994/1995 :-)

A year from now... :-)
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;708782
You sir, aren't a true nerd then! :D ;)

Have been sitting at some form of desk since 1982, started with a Commodore 64. Typing lines of basic code from gaming books.

Had/still have a telnet BBS which I first had online in 1984. Started off part time with a 2400 baud modem, eventually moved up to a 28.8k... sad thing was I could tell what speed they were connecting at by the sound of the modem connection noise.

All the jobs I've had have been fixing PC's. Starting with a job where I built machines from scratch back when AT PSU's were the norm.

I've had 15 odd different cellphones, starting with an infamous Motorola brick phone all the way through to my Ideos X5 (which is getting old now but I love it). Which I like rooting and installing custom ROM's.

I've seen a few different interfaces over my lifetime, starting with a green amber screen with a flashing cursor to what we have now :-)

Even own a Mac.... which I'm ashamed to mention, although it has morphos on it. But sits under the table in the lounge gathering dust for the last 6 months. :-/

Think I still have some nerd in there :-)
-=[LurcH]=-