Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone Here Tried Retr0Bright...  (Read 24182 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
Anyone Here Tried Retr0Bright...
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »
Has anyone here tried making that Retr0Bright stuff for de-yellowing Amiga keyboards, cases etc...

Retr0Bright

I have been trying it myself and the results were diddly squat... :(

I bought some Hydogen Peroxide (6% vol) from the chemists and soaked some old A1200 yellow keys in it for the past 2 days, but it made no difference, they're still as yellow as ever... :(

I didn't want to make up a messy paste like it tells you on the RetroBrite site and thought it would work if I just soaked the keys in pure Hydrogen Peroxide with a little Oxy Cleaner thrown in but after 2 days, nowt... :(

I also didn't use a UV light, just sat them outside in the single ray of sunshine we get here... :(

Has anyone had any success with it and if so could you please share your "recipe" for the best results... :)

PS:found a place where I can buy Hydogen Peroxide at 17.5% or 30% vol, just wondering if it's worth having another go with a stronger mixture... :)

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
Re: Anyone Here Tried Retr0Bright...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
Haven't done this yet, but it's on the list..
I'd be careful with the higher percentage..  Too high and you can "burn" the cases (a "bloom" pattern is the usual description) and that can't be fixed (well, paint...)..

From what I hear, the sunlight (UV) is very important...

There was someone who used Vanish (Napisan??) with no peroxide and got pertty good results...

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline mfilos

• Show only replies by mfilos
    • http://mfilos.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
Retr0bright rox...
Tried it a couple of times and worked like a charm both times :)

Some testing here:
http://www.amibay.com/showpost.php?p=72256&postcount=222
Visit my Amiga blog here
- A600: Vampire V3, 128MB, A604n, 16GB CF, Indivision ECS, RapidRoad, MAS-Player + Custom Audio Mixer (internal), HxC SD + Slim floppy (internal)

Offline brianb

• Show only replies by brianb
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »
From what I recall from discussions on other boards...  Decent sunlight and heat (not hot but can't be cold either) were very important.  With one person commenting they had no success in the winter months with little bit of sunlight.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:01:44 PM »
Quote from: mfilos;617292
Retr0bright rox...
Tried it a couple of times and worked like a charm both times :)

Some testing here:
http://www.amibay.com/showpost.php?p=72256&postcount=222

Pretty impressive results from your pictures... :)

Bit surprised you didn't remove the keys from the keyboard first though. Reckon the main problem I had was not enough UV from the very poor sunlight here...

What strength was the Hydrogen Peroxide you used ?

Does anyone know if you need a proper UV light, like the ones used in aquariums that your not meant to look directly at or will one of those "blacklight" lamps used in clubs and things do... :)

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
Hello Franko!
I still did not try the Retr0Bright recipe (but I will this spring with a Commodore VIC-20), but I managed to get good results with water peroxide only (8% if not wrong) BUT with sunlight (during a summer afternoon, here in northern Italy... :D  )... with what? A key for a C-64C keyboard!  :)

So UV is the key to make the reaction run! (energy itself)
BY!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:25:41 PM by ognix »

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »
Cheers everyone... :)

Seems that UV light is one of the most important factors involved here, I think I'll buy one of those "black light" fluoerescent light bulbs as I don't fancy having to buy and wear some special UV goggles that you need for a proper UV light... :)

Gonna order the 17.5% vol Hydrogen Peroxide and give it a try with the black light and see what the results are, hopefully it will work got 4 A1200 keyboards, 2 A1200 cases , 4 C64s and 3 Vic 20s that badly need reviving... :)

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »
Hi Frank,

I tried it and it worked a charm. I used Creme peroxide 12% 40 VOL that I bought from Sally Salon Services. I just poured some into a bowl and aded some oxy and gave it a stir before applying it to the A1200 case. I did mine over winter and the first application was done outside but due to the cold I brought it in. Now here is where my experience differs from the others...I did mine in the laundry room which has no windows and therefore no UV light! Despite this it worked brilliantly and the A1200 looks as good as new. My guess is you're not using the correct concentrate of peroxide.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »
Save money, soak your case in urine. Usually your first urination of the day is the strongest.

Also this works for teens with achne.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
@RMK305

I had read somewhere that some folk had used it without any UV light and it had worked, but the strongest Hydrogen Peroxide I could get from Boots the chemist was only 6% vol, think this was to weak myself.

I'm going to buy either the 12% or 17.5% stuff online (5Ltr for about £25 to £30) as it's much cheaper that way and buy one of those "black light" bulbs for my desklamp and try out various combinations along with the oxy of course... :)

Looked at that "Sally Salon Services" myself but wasn't sure what stuff to buy as they have so many different products. Some sites said you must use pure Hydrogen Peroxide as some of those hair products contain stuff that damages the plastic, so I guess I'll just have to try again and see what produces the best results... :)

Offline desantii

• Amiga Addict!
    • Show only replies by desantii
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:23:37 PM »
I've used Hydrogen peroxide solution at 20% with no other ingredient and it worked great. Although I did mess up one keyboard as I left it too long, the enter key and other "darker" areas developed a swirl effect
Amiga 1200/030 50mhz, 64mb ram

Amiga 2000, 030 25mhz, 7mb ram, A2320,  SCSI2CD

Amiga 3000/030 25mhz, CF SCSI card

Amiga 4000/ 040 33mhz 274mb ram

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:45:01 PM »
Quote from: Franko;617314
@RMK305

I'm going to buy either the 12% or 17.5% stuff online (5Ltr for about £25 to £30) as it's much cheaper that way and buy one of those "black light" bulbs for my desklamp and try out various combinations along with the oxy of course... :)

Looked at that "Sally Salon Services" myself but wasn't sure what stuff to buy as they have so many different products. Some sites said you must use pure Hydrogen Peroxide as some of those hair products contain stuff that damages the plastic, so I guess I'll just have to try again and see what produces the best results... :)

Be sure to get the 40VOL. Here is the one I used:

http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=515713

Try it with the oxy before forking out £25 for 5 litres of the stuff along with a black light. I never experienced any blooming on my case and I did apply the stuff before going to work in the morning so it was on for over 8 hours at a time.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline tone007

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »
Quote from: desantii;617315
Although I did mess up one keyboard as I left it too long, the enter key and other "darker" areas developed a swirl effect

I think you sent me that one! ;)

But the H2O2 definitely works, I've used it a bunch of times.  Never had much luck with UV bulbs, I waited for the good old sun to come out and stuff whitened in hours.  I got the clear liquid 40#, diluted it 50% or so with water, and submerged the items I wanted to whiten in the liquid and left it all out in the sun.

Here's the only example I can find at the moment.

http://cbmvax.com/jungle/128d/128d.htm
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 11:53:29 PM »
I'm telling ya! Urine will set you straight!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline tone007

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »
Keep your piss to yourself!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever