Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga vs PC  (Read 33063 times)

Description:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
Re: Amiga vs PC
« on: August 11, 2010, 12:16:52 AM »
Quote from: Franko;574247
One very rabid Amigan responding... :swords:

If your one of those sad, sad people who use a PC / MAC / Mobile Phone or any other modern day piece of crapnology , then good luck to you. :)
I'd rather be one of those sad but productive people typing on your so called crap, than be flailing around on a computer that has charm, but isn't practical for me anymore.  If I tried doing 6502/z80 assembly and cross development on an Amiga, I'd have slashed my wrists awhile ago.

That being sad, it's cool to see some people who use the thing as a day to day machine still.  I can't do it since it doesn't suit my needs.

The true Amigan uses real Amiga hardware, for the simple fact that it is and was the best home computer ever created. They learn not just how to play games on it but how the actual hardware and OS works, they use it for creativity and using their minds to come up with some brilliant and ingenious solutions to keep the thing up and running. :)
The price to get a solid Amiga up and running these days is pretty bad.  and once you're done, you'll still find 5+ year old modern hardware outperforms it.  The Amiga can't do like 32 channel stereo audio w/ MIDI and line-in recording out of box, and once you set it up to attempt it, it'll still yield a worse experience than a PC running Fruity Loops or whatever you like to use.

It also can't play the latest 3D games.  If it was the best thing ever it would somehow magically be able to.

Such is the nature of 20+ year old hardware.  I think the Amiga engineers would point and laugh at you for spewing this nonsense.  They'd be reading this from a PC of some sort for sure.

Now if you simply want to play games that all look the same. have no gameplay and think that cos the graphics look cool, then by all means stick to your Pee,Cee's Crapple Macs and eggBoxes.
Macs don't play games, everyone knows that.

If you think they all look the same and have no gameplay, then you're a moron and should remove your penis from your Amiga for a day or two and play some new games.

also, your name-spinning is pretty horrible.  eggbox? really?  Is that the best you could come up with?  I thought since you're such an AMIGAN, you'd be able to problem solve a better insult for an Xbox.
Or if you just want to point and click on something and hope it works, and when it doesn't you sit there staring blankly at the screen, because you've never used you brain to figure out how it works or how to solve the problem. then that what comes of using such boring mundane technology.
So you're saying that unless you have gone through the hassle of setting up an Amiga, you are unable to solve problems?  

also, it isn't like the Amiga is void of problems.  It's got its fair share of "WTF" moments.

But why oh why, if these Pee'Cees and Craple Macs are so good do you run an Amiga emulator on them... :huh:
The real answer:  For the same reason you run a C64, NES, Sega or Atari emulator on your PC:  You can't be arsed to fuck around with ancient hardware that takes up time/space, when a fast solution is right there and all you want to do is play a few games and then get on with life.

The answer... cos you know deep down in your heart that the Amiga is better than the machine your running the emulator on... :roflmao:
If its better, how come you can't emulate Windows 7 on it, dingus.

Bit of an Ironic thought here... I'm typing this on my Crapple Mac... :o

That explains alot.  and its not irony, its hypocrisy.

Quote from: smerf;574253
How many of you can say that about your PC or MAC?

smerf

I can.  Solid state drive, 8gb ram, Phenom II X6 w/ Windows 7.

boots up faster than I can say "Franko's on meth"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:28:58 AM by Arkhan »
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:03:41 AM »
Quote from: Franko;574266
Why is it 99.9% of you folks in the good ole U S of A, have not the tinyist bit of sense of humor... :)

I mean after all you voted in George. W. Bush, Good old Ronnie RayGun and eat things called weaners... :)

That to me proves you must have a very good sense of humor, lurking about somewhere in your minds... :lol:

Man your play on words are just TOO CLEVER.

just kidding, they blow.

I can indeed be arsed to play my SNES games on the original console and spend anything up to £100 per game just to buy the old classic RPG games for this little beauty of a machine... :)

Sucks to be you.  I own them all already.  and we weren't talking about SNES, we were talking about getting an Amiga up and running.  The SNES works out of box to its fullest potential.   You plug it in and go.  The end. Success.

And why on earth would a dingus like me be sad enough to want to use MickySoft Windoze OS or even a Pee'Cee in the first place... :)

I don't know, you said you were using a mac.  You make no sense.  

and jesus christ youre like 45.  Get better insults for Microsoft.  Every time you type mickysoft you sound like you need a helmet, or that you're already wearing one and the chin strap is too tight.

If your quite happy with whatever you use then, good for you. Im quite happy with what I use, so good for me, but a good old exchange of very differing points of view, is just what's needed in these days of the sheep who queue up for 3 days to buy the latest Crapple gadget just to look cool and trendy whether it even works or not. :)

Well, you're the one calling us sad and implying were dumb for not being balls deep in an Amiga 24/7.

Irony or Hypocrisy... I like to think I have a bit of both, as like the Amiga I too can multitask... :)

Don't multitask too hard, you might get man batter on the hardware.

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:25:03 AM »
Quote from: Franko;574271
With all you little sexual innuendoes, methinks that your a bit frustrated... :)

Why not try taking your stubby little fingers of the keyboard for a while and giving yourself a bit of light relief... :)

lol, stubby fingers.  You sure are a riot.

Don't look stubby to me.  

and yes that's a mickey table cloth, and no I don't give a rats ass if someone thinks its homo.

PS: Already relieved myself.  played some Elvira, if yknow what im sayin.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 02:23:40 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;574287
It wasn't the table cloth that made me think it...not that there's anything wrong with that..

ah youre just mad I get hot wimins, and youre still an idiot.

Quote from: smerf;574289
Hi,

@Arkhan,

I do believe you mis interrpeted my post. What I am saying here is that the Amiga has a soul, and that a lot of people are still using it because it is a fun type computer. It has something a PC lacks, people who will keep it for many years and use it, they don't care if it has fallen behind, it is a hobby to them to keep it and use it, the Amiga has spirit, and a lot of people supporting it.

Lets look at a PC, where is it at 5 years later?
Do you still have your old 8088 pc?
How about a 80286?

The answer is probably NO, and why because they are outdated pieces of cow manure.

Now how many people still have their Amiga?

I know all my Amiga friends still have it and some since 1985.

The Amiga has heart, and a soul, so that is why we still like it and use it, nothing more nothing less

smerf

Thats because the Amiga hardware didn't advance the same is all.  Its a shame it didn't.  Itd probably be kick ass if there was modern Amiga compatible stuff competing with the rest of the computers.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:29:15 AM »
I thought smerf was saying noones modern PCs can boot up super fast.  

my computers blue and glowy.  It has a soul

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;574332
I can't speak for every PC ever built (there's always soemone who seems to come up with something "unusual" in these threads), but I can honestly say that compared to the PC's I've used and seen used by other, the Amiga could do more (FAR more) with far less.

Wheres the far-less solution to using 10+ VSTs in fruityloops and making a 32 channel tune with line in and midi input added in as well?  I don't think there is one.  If there is, it probably isn't a great one and would induce suicidal thoughts.

An A1200 running at 14 mhz and 8 mb fast ram could fit a TCP stack, a browser, an email client, newsreader, an FTP client, IM,  a paint package like Dpaint, a word processor and even do a 3D render in the background ) especially if you had an FPU, play music/mods, a file manager like Dopus on top of a GUI OS-with god knows how many little commodities running in the background and the thing was still responsive to the user.  I can't imagine any x86 platform doing that.

Funny story! Don't we all do that on an x86 platform every day? I know I do:
TCP stack: Yep.  
Browser to reply to this kind of stupidity: Yep!
e-mail: lol duh?
FTP: sho' am good
IM: 3 of them at once! + IRC
paint: Lol Photoshop CS3 to make 4chan.org funnies
among other stuff too, and then I usually even play a game at the same time! 3D rendering!  Networked gaming even!  

Maybe the PC's you are using are pieces of shit or you don't know how to keep them running properly.

I'm not sure if  that advantage in the efficient use of hardware resources was there by design or as a consequence of little hardware development since Commodores demise, nor if that would have continued if AmigaOS survived today.  But what has been achieved by tiny teams of programmers with Morphos/AmigaOS/AROS suggests it might have (yes I know they run on limited hardware, but thats what custom chips were in a way).

I think the efficiency is due to the nature/era of the platform.  When you introduce unique chips, they tend to function better.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:57:33 PM »
Quote from: save2600;574353
BTW: you don't need 8mb of RAM, Windoze 95 or Netscape to "surf the web" on an Amiga   ;)

No you just need one of the Amiga browsers, crossed fingers, and some patience as Google attempts to load.

Did you quote "surf the web" because rather than surf the web, you doggy paddle?

Yeah you can get a decent browsing experience if you set it up right and have the right hardware...it sure aint out-of-box internets ready.

any PC with a modem or NIC is though.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »
Quote from: save2600;574356
No, no, no... I was trying to compare apples with apples timeframe wise. In the mid to late 90's, the few Amiga browsers we had handled the web just fine. Early 2000's even. It wasn't until support stopped, computing "evolved" and we started seeing new inefficient web languages that the Amiga started to choke on. Java, CSS, PHP and more.

oh.  Well, those old windows 95 boxes can handle all that nonsense just fine.  Must be magic.

I mean you can still browse the lolernet with a 486.  It'll be kinda herpyderpy, but it sure does work.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »
Win95 w/ IE works better than the Amiga in my experience.  *shrug*

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:39:50 AM »
Quote from: amigaksi;574371
I don't get as much time these days for these threads, but your inconsistency is that you compare latest and greatest hardware add-ons with standard Amiga setup.  

About an hour later (post #39) you wrote:  "Yeah you can get a decent browsing experience if you set it up right and have the right hardware...it sure aint out-of-box internets ready."

You can also buy audio cards for the Amiga or even some sort of PCI interface.  None of my PC machines have 32 channels audio (which you keep mentioning).  Perhaps, it's being emulated in software but you can also do the same then on the Amiga.  .

in regards to the original post, if the Amiga is so great it should be able to stand toe to toe with anything modern computing throws at it, and it should just be so easy and simple to get it to that competitive state.

It doesn't have the music setup I am looking for, so that means it can't.  

I don't care about the behind the scenes stuff because its all relative.  I care about ease-of-use.  my fruityloops setup is more expansive and easy to use than an Amiga sound setup.

its called changing times.  thats all.  More power to people still using octamed, etc.... but I have found better solutions.  *shrug*

Quote from: stefcep2
In 8 meg with 2 meg video ram..I doubt it!!!

Lol, doing all of that on an Amiga w/ 8meg and 2meg is about as fun as jamming your shaft in a bugzapper.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;574591
And this comment is about as reliable as his one stating a 5bit 15khz sample chip produces better quality than an 8bit 48khz sample chip...........and then argue it on the basis of a CD-ROM mastered soundtrack using studio hardware not the actual soundchip  lol classic comments from little arkhan.
Wow, you're still gripping onto that whole argument that you barely understood at the time?

I argued the PCE soundchip and the PCE CD audio as two separate points.   It's not a sampling chip.  It's a WSG.  It just happens to be able to sample on each channel also (6 channels!).  The CD audio argument is that it surpasses everything since it can have music made up of sound from whatever in the piss you want.  Studio mastered audio on a CD based game is going to beat the piss out of any sound chip. Mix Amiga, Atari, a kazoo, and a friggin roland from 2010.  Who cares.  It can do it all.  You do know what a CD is right? It's those shiny discs you stare at and drool as the light reflects off the bottoms?

I also never said it's (the WSG) is better quality.  I said it sounds better and works better for games.  There is a reason why arcade machines used FM/PSG/WSG instead of sampling a majority of the time.   It fits and is much smoother for the type of game in question.  Kind of like how if you were to have a live band for the soundtrack of a NES game.... it wouldn't fit at all.  Having the music and sfx blend properly is very important in games.

I know you're sort of dopey and don't really get it so I will just leave it at that.

1 IE was always iffy as hell compared to the likes of Netscape at the time, which is what most people used simply because IE was really that slow and buggy and rendered pages incorrectly at that time. As any web designer knows, you finish your site, then modify it so IE can render it in an identical fashion to how it already renders ;)
Thats nice.  Doesn't change the fact that iBrowse loads pages up kind of slow and jerky, and a comparable win95 machine doesn't have the same dilemma.  

Also, now that you mention it, Netscape works better too.  Thats two browsers.  

2 Win95 had a notoriously famous world wide bug of a memory map as solid as a leaky old bucket when it comes to web browsing/emailing activities lol.
man, nothing gets past the AMIGA_NUT.

3 There's the Win95 GDI resource issue to compound that socket related leakage into oblivion problem with the effects of gradually losing GDI memory resource due to using graphically intense programs (for 1995 that is) like web browsers all day long. Result = crash city/loss of OS functionality = frequent reboots.
Hmm.  Don't recall that problem.  then again I was like 9 at the time.  My computer didn't crash alot back then, and doesn't now.  

It only crashed when we got AOL.  

So it turns out you have no experience of how 'good' IE was originally in that time frame, and no awareness of two of the biggest reasons corporations found Win95 nothing but a toy OS for business applications lol surprise NOT.
Yet Win95 and then 98, and beyond, are what most corporations used and still use.  Maybe you have no experience with what the real world is doing past 1993.

Maybe it's time we ALL had a poll vote to decide if Arkhan should be banned, clearly the moderators here are going for quantity rather than quality as far as member numbers go on Amiga.org haha
Big words from the flid whose opening argument here was a direct attack, and who bounces from computer scene to computer scene being fanboy of said computer until he's gone so r-tard that he has to leave.  Your problem is you have tunnel vision love for the computer the forum you are currently hamfisting on is about.  You can't see past it being the best thing since sliced bread because you just want approval.

As usual bullshit off-topic trolling has actually derailed an interesting thread, the simple facts are....
Dumbass, go read the title of the thread.  In fact, here let me help you since you will probably go ADD on the way to reading it and start spewing more idiocy:
 AMIGA vs PC.  

I don't see how discussing the pros/cons of a PC is off topic in a thread where PC IS IN THE FRIGGING TITLE.    As usual, hamfisted fliddery has made you look like the forum tard. You know, sort of like your opening comment in this post.  What is on topic about insulting me and bringing up a thread thats been done for awhile now?  Good job.  Loosen the chin strap on your helmet. It's cutting off the circulation to what little brain you have left.

A1000 vs 8086/80186 PC XT etc  = slamdunk to A1000 on every possible aspect.
I should hope so considering an A1000 is newer by some years.

A1200/4000 vs 386SX/486DX ISA PC = grey area of swings and roundabouts.
Oh, but I thought it was clear that the Amiga was superior no matter what.  Now you change your stance to a "maybe", depending on how you have everything configured?  Simpleton.

Comparing today's PCs with souped up A1200/A4000s is about as useful as comparing an IBM XT with 128k ram and Hercules graphics card and PC speaker audio to a 512k A1000.
So you're saying this whole thread is useless?  Try leaving then.  You've contributed nothing but nonsense, as per the AMIGA_NUT standard.

LITTLE ARKHAN, OVER AND OUT.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:42:38 PM by Arkhan »

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;574623

By the time any such render finished, chances are Duke Nukem Forever would have been ported to Amiga!

quote of the year!
:afro:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;574667
I always write peecee on Amiga fora, what's the big deal?
Typing more letters to get the same phonetic thing out makes you look dumb.  It'd be like me typing some scholarly reply and typing "uhmeeguh" in it. The whole post is reduced to: Dumb.

And on a certain MSX forum there are people who will argue that MSX is better than Amiga/peecee/St/whatever. How mature is that?

Are you talking about MSX.org?  That forums so n00b about the MSX its not even funny lol.  their infighting drama is the stuff legends are made of.

On a side note, I like the MSX more for music making.  having 17 channels of chip-noises is pretty neat, and I like that more than sampling.

and for games usually... but only because they have that distinct (obvious) Japanese style that has been attempted by the whiteman, but never duplicated.  ... and metal gear 2... :D  talk about awesome.

Its an opinion, not a fact.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:43:23 PM by Arkhan »

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 02:43:22 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;574706
You're not serious, right? Oh man... :(

First someone who thinks it immature to write 'peecee', now someone who thinks it dumb because he doesn't understand :lol:

Here's the explanation: 'peecee' is similar to 'M$', 'Winblows XPee' and 'Linsux'. Get it? I sure hope so...

Except for this simple break down

M$: $ = money, fight the power.
Winblows XPee:  Blows is an insult.
Linsux: Sux is an insult.

winblows and linsux aren't phonetic clones of the original.

PeeCee is just you trying to be cool.  I think you're done.

I mean it's almost funny with the Pee, but whats so insulting about a Cee.  What is a Cee.

Flid.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 02:47:49 AM »