Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recognizing site contributors  (Read 1375 times)

Description:

Recognizing site contributors
« on: May 26, 2004, 04:13:39 PM »
Hi,

This morning, while on IRC (fixing that problem), someone gave me the idea (sorry, I forgot who and have no log) that we ought to find a way to recognize the contributors to Amiga.org.  You know... The people who make it all possible.

To that end, I am trying to come up with a way for special ranks to be used, seperated by level (such as bronze, etcetera) to demonstrate that the person in question is, indeed a good friend to Amiga.org.

I went so far as to grab a complete dump of the records from PayPal as far back as 2001 when the account was created.  The problem is, there is no way to translate the name given by PayPal.com's records into the Amiga.org username of any particular person.  As such, this is becoming quite difficult to figure out how to do.

I would suppose that it'd be best to simply input all the data by name, then ask people to come forward and put their username to the contributor's real name?  Doing it that way would take a long time to assign ranks, but it should be appropriate to do.

Also, if anyone has the time, I really could use some help devising the rank designs, such as Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.  Should be similar to the Webmaster or moderator tags seen beneath my name.  If anyone wants to pitch in, that would be most excellent.

Wayne
(just hoping that no one else steals this idea for their own site before I can get it in place)

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
Re: Recognizing site contributors
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 04:35:01 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Hi,

This morning, while on IRC (fixing that problem), someone gave me the idea (sorry, I forgot who and have no log)

twas me

/me emerges from the darkness

:lol:

nw mate  :-P

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show only replies by SilvrDrgn
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 04:40:15 PM »
Great idea, Wayne.  I will help if I can, though I don't have much time on my hands.
Michael

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 03:59:29 PM »
Hi guys,

It took a while, but I finally figured out a way to do this.  Look if you will, at the bottom left-hand column of your screen at the new "Donat-o-matic"...  Works rather well.

After a lot of thought, there is simply no way to really enter in the data from the last five years of this site's life.  It's a lot -- and I mean roughly 100 pages -- of printed data which would take literally a month to correlate and input.  If you have contributed to Amiga.org in the past, thank you from the bottom of my soul.  

In the future, should you decide to help us stay online, your deed will be recorded in the new system.  

Perhaps this new module will help each of you understand what we're going through on a monthly basis to keep things going...