Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Market research for new PowerPC system  (Read 16456 times)

Description:

Offline markos

• Show all replies
Re: Market research for new PowerPC system
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 28, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »

Offline markos

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »
Quote from: tonyyeb;524170
Who wants to spend $600+ on a system without even trying it out then to find it is limited as to what can be run on it.

I don't remember myseflf asking for preorders. When it's out, I'll send a few boards to reviewers, you can make your decision afterwards.

@tonyyeb:
EDIT: I wrote by mistake "paying without trying". No, I guess I didn't want to write that. But I will offer a full refund -minus shipping costs of course- to anyone that feels the board doesn't do what he wants. But it *is* too early for this talk.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:04:39 PM by markos »

Offline markos

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »

Offline markos

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 10:25:59 AM »
Final results about the market research here:

http://www.codex.gr/index.php?pageID=&blogItem=100

Quote from the blog -the interesting part-:

... Actually, I just thought of an idea, there is another way that we might build a nice ppc board, but I think it will find even less interest: open-source hardware, donation based. Say, we do a bounty -or what even its legal term is- and each of us, donates an amount, until we reach the desirable amount. If we could get 500 people to donate 100e each -or more in some cases- we might reach the goal to design the board. Since the board design would be open, anyone could then produce it. If the goal is not reached in a specific amount of time, everyone gets their money back -or we leave it open until the money is raised. So, what say you all? It's the last thing that can be done I think. So, if you are really interested in the idea, please say so, if enough people second this, I'm sure something could be arranged.

COMMENT: The nice thing with that approach, is that the end design will be open. If the amount of people does not reach critical mass for a mass production -eg. 500- there might still be a few (100 or even less) people that may go for a small production scale and get the board of their dreams, albeit a bit more expensive! And if I would decide to drop out of the project for whatever reason, the design would be open for anyone to continue development on it. Actually, I wonder why didn't I think of that scheme before...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:43:15 AM by markos »