Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which amiga game could do with a modern makeover?  (Read 7351 times)

Description:

Offline djrikki

• Show all replies
Re: Which amiga game could do with a modern makeover?
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
At the moment I am up to Level 3 Mission 2 of Captive.

I would really love to see a remake of this game.

Since all games of this genre went wolfenstein->doom->quake->tomb raider the gameplay has been lost.  Lifelike games suck, games aren't meant to be realistic to life.

I'd quite happily walk around a maze 1 square of the map at a time in a modern remake with cool 3D graphics and as opposed to moving in a 3d world.  Captive was fast and real-time enough for my liking.  I am loving playing this game again after a 18-20yr 'break' lol.

Offline djrikki

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
The biggest problem doing an Amiga game remake is that even if a programmer was up to the task and I'd imagine there are a few around, a programmer is not the same thing as a graphics artist or 3d guru- and most modern games these days require a few of these guys to work their magic and sell such a game.  There are so many disciplines in making a game these days!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:21:09 PM by djrikki »

Offline djrikki

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;574171
I say skip Captive (the remake, that is, by all means play the game :)) and go straight to a remake of Liberation. Fantastic dystopian/noir atmosphere and nonlinear gameplay. I think a modern version would do very well, especially with cooperative multiplayer.

Liberation was pants period.  But yes something along those lines, but the player should not be left running around for hours wondering what the hell to do or where to go; linear gameplay is better than non-linear in my opinion.

The only thing I remember being unique in that game is how you stored items in inventory - slotless - you basically dragged whatever you was carrying to fit in the given space on the screen; that alone was highly original.

Liberation was a huge let down for many players who loved Captive.