Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Convince me  (Read 748 times)

Description:

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
Re: Convince me
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 24, 2016, 10:20:25 AM »
Quote from: mgerics;816653
Would I use these skills professionally, to make money ? Not likely, but who can rule out the possibility.
No. That is, there's always a small chance and there are exceptions to the rule, but in general, no, you will not suddenly gain any skills on an Amiga nowadays which are likely to make you any serious money in the future. Selling selfmade hardware projects to other geeks might be your only chance...

Hmm...almost I think I have answered my question-if I want to do these things, any platform will require the correct software/hardware combo. Do I like (the Amiga) (any) platform enough to invest time and money into what would essentially be a hobby ?
And that's entirely up to you!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 11:09:00 AM by Jiffy »
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
Quote from: kolla;816774
Why do you want an RTG card in addition to the RTG output that the Vampire provides?

Because the drivers offer a better level of compatibility.
I appreciate the Apollo teams efforts to streatch the goals for the Vampire2, but instead of graphics or multimedia instructions, how about just finishing the cpu's fpu?

Feature creep was always a problem with the Natami.
You would think Gunnar would have learned his lesson.
Get it done, figure out how to produce it in the volumes demanded, THEN you can work on improving it or expanding it.

Maybe Von Bohem and company plan on living forever, but I'm personally worried about seeing this completed in my lifetime.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;816746
Modern computing is more about consumption than creation.

This!!!

Since the golden age of Amiga, computer user experience has devoluted into mere consumption.

Amiga keeps the creator spirit alive :)
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2016, 02:59:37 AM »
mgerics - I use my Amiga almost everyday with the fs-uae emualator on a Linux machine, but I also have Amiga Forever for my PC.

Now why did I choose Linux and FS-UAE, mostly because they are free. and linux and the Amiga combined will do everything I want them to do. While on the PC you have to pay big bucks about every 5 years to get new software for your PC. I find Linux quite convenient to get stuff done.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2016, 05:56:24 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;816746

To me though, Amiga was all about creating things. There's software to cater for every need, I never got bored. Modern computing is more about consumption than creation,.

Not really true. Its all down to how a person uses a machine. There's a plethora of fantastic creative software for modern computers with features I could only dream about having on the Amiga.
A typical use of a modern machine may be more consumption based than in the Amiga's heyday, but that has nothing to do with the machines or their software.
I'd even argue that a modern machines makes it easier to be creative if a person is inclined.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2016, 06:00:15 AM »
Quote from: soviet;816770
Get a Vampire II and sure you can play quake 2 on a stock Amiga.

You sure about that? :)
Firstly, quake and quake2 require an fpu. Secondly, adding a Vampire II would make an Amiga something other than stock.  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.