Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ALIAS in AmigaDOS 1.3  (Read 2455 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: ALIAS in AmigaDOS 1.3
« on: November 05, 2019, 05:04:46 AM »
Just checked my nearest reference guide at hand. According to Sheldon Leemon's AmigaDOS Reference Guide 4th Edition, ALIAS is an internal shell command, so there won't be a disk-based file for it.

Tested it quickly in a 1.3 environment in FS-UAE and it works.

So go nuts setting up aliases on your 1.3 system! :)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »
It’s an internal command that’s part of L:shell-seg. If you’re in a shell after it’s been made resident as Thomas described, then ALIAS will be available.

I think it’s the same way CD, If, Else, etc. are internal in Kickstart 2+. Those commands aren’t stored directly in the ROM; they’re part of shell-seg, which itself is part of the ROM. The difference in 1.3 is that shell-seg is loaded into memory from disk instead of being automatically/instantly available from ROM.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
You have the command that Thomas posted in your startup-sequence?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
Checked my 1.3 disk. It's
Code: [Select]
resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add(Thomas's line was missing the "add" argument)

Is the p (pure) bit set on your L:Shell-Seg file? I don't really understand how the pure bit works in relation to the Resident command, but I know there's some sort of relationship between the two. If you lost the pure bit, I wonder if the resident command would quietly fail. Thomas, I'm sure you could answer this ;)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:57:34 AM »
I spent some time looking into this further. Basically, under 1.3, Alias works in a *shell* but not in a *cli*
In other words, launch a command line from the Shell icon in the root of the Workbench disk or from the newshell command and you'll have a functional Alias.
Launch a command line from the CLI icon in the System drawer or the newcli command and you won't.