Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 keyboard adventures  (Read 242 times)

Description:

Offline AmigazTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amigaz
A1200 keyboard adventures
« on: February 16, 2024, 03:05:58 PM »
I am currently in the works of servicing an Amiga 1200 but I have ran into some issues with the keyboard.

Caps lock is dead, some keys need to be pressed very hard to register.
I have taken the keyboard appart and cleaned the membrane (was slighty dusty), plungers (with soapy water) and keycaps.
I have also cleaned the connector on the keyboard and the end othe membrane flat cable that goes into the motherboard connector.
The cleaning helped a but, some keys now work better but you still ned to step on some for them to register.

I've haquite alot of Amiga computers during the years but no keyboard has behaved like this, is there a chance the end of the plungers are worned out somehow on some of them so they make bad contact? I mean if the membrane was broken it shouldn't work at all?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Amiga 4000T - A3640 '040
Amiga 4000 - CS MKIII
Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MKIV
Amiga 1200 - Stock
Amiga CD32 - TF360
A bunch of ol' A500's

Offline Boing-ball

Re: A1200 keyboard adventures
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 04:07:00 PM »
I am currently in the works of servicing an Amiga 1200 but I have ran into some issues with the keyboard.

Caps lock is dead, some keys need to be pressed very hard to register.
I have taken the keyboard appart and cleaned the membrane (was slighty dusty), plungers (with soapy water) and keycaps.
I have also cleaned the connector on the keyboard and the end othe membrane flat cable that goes into the motherboard connector.
The cleaning helped a but, some keys now work better but you still ned to step on some for them to register.

I've haquite alot of Amiga computers during the years but no keyboard has behaved like this, is there a chance the end of the plungers are worned out somehow on some of them so they make bad contact? I mean if the membrane was broken it shouldn't work at all?

Not much to a A1200 keyboard as the Keyboard controller is housed on the motherboard unlike the A500 ones.
Ideally you need to clean the keyboard plunger rubbers with a Piece of plain paper. Hot soapy water ain’t going to sort it. The rubbers are a conductive graphite. The membrane can suffer partial failure, but you will notice certain keys not responding whilst others will function. Plenty of replacement Keyboard membranes for sale on EBay. Make sure you get the right one though. Different types on certain A1200. Most common was the Mitsumi.

Offline AmigazTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amigaz
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 04:51:55 PM »
Not much to a A1200 keyboard as the Keyboard controller is housed on the motherboard unlike the A500 ones.
Ideally you need to clean the keyboard plunger rubbers with a Piece of plain paper. Hot soapy water ain’t going to sort it. The rubbers are a conductive graphite. The membrane can suffer partial failure, but you will notice certain keys not responding whilst others will function. Plenty of replacement Keyboard membranes for sale on EBay. Make sure you get the right one though. Different types on certain A1200. Most common was the Mitsumi.

I see, so maybe a go through with a q-tip with IPA on and clean all of the ... "rubbers" then?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Amiga 4000T - A3640 '040
Amiga 4000 - CS MKIII
Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MKIV
Amiga 1200 - Stock
Amiga CD32 - TF360
A bunch of ol' A500's

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 05:17:48 PM »
Noooooo! You’ll might make it worse! Just try rubbing a plain piece of paper. Think of these like the same substance you find in a HB pencil. You will notice black markings when rubbing. This is normal.