Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA introduces new Amigo computer!!  (Read 12954 times)

Description:

Offline Pete_Noir

• Show only replies by Pete_Noir
    • http://twitter.com/the_pete
Re: Commodore USA introduces new Amigo computer!!
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 08, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »
But can it run Snowman Maker and Telnet Force??! That's the real question!

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
Mabe I should build a omap 3.5 into a keyboard and call that an Amigaz ;)

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »
Quote from: dentunes;552092
Without a screen though it is stuck as a desktop unit. If netbooks didn't exist maybe though it doesn't make sense. Who would actually buy one?

people who love wedgeboards :)

or need to save space.  get a nice bigass LCD and use that, takes up the space of a keyboard but is the whole puter!
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Pete_Noir

• Show only replies by Pete_Noir
    • http://twitter.com/the_pete
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 02:14:29 PM »
Ah, no need to panic, their latest product is indeed fully Snowman Maker & Telnet Force compatible:

(yes, I have too much time on my hands today)

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;552071
@skurk

What do you mean? Do you doubt it is legit?

Yes.

They're selling the Commodore Phoenix right now.

Where?  And who told you?

I've spoken to the owner

..of the commodoreusa.net domain?  That could be anyone - hell, it could be me pulling your leg, for all that you know.

Don't be surprised if you see an actual Commodore advertisment some time soon.

All right, I'll be waiting right here, on the edge of my chair. :-)

Oh, and please don't take this as a personal attack.  It's not.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline BigBenAussieTopic starter

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Quote from: Pete_Noir;552111
On the bottom of their page:

"Amiga is the trademark of  Hyperion Entertainment, registered in the U.S. and other countries..."

Umm.. no it's not! And why mention Amiga, they're not selling anything with that name even mentioned as far as I can see..

They intend to sell "Amiga Forever". It is listed as a product they want to sell, but it is unavailable at the moment.

I believe the idea was to clarify, in order to avoid any legal unpleasantness, that Commodore USA do not own the Amiga trademark, or more to the point, the AmigaOS trademark. They are not selling anything that can be construed as a native "Amiga" operating system, but just an emulator. In attempting to clear that up, they went a little too far and incorrectly(?) attributed the "Amiga" trademark to Hyperion. Should the real owner front up I am sure they will happily change it.

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »
Reality Check:

PCs aren't Amigas, this is a POS and AROS is a pile of crap atm, has too many Linux influences and can't run anything good. Now the Atom is okay, its just underpowered to keep it efficient and cool, but I hate all these new devices, they're castrating an old laptop and squeezing it down into a small, crammed device that my iBook runs circles around
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »
@skurk

Of course you are entitled to your opinion of its legitimacy or existence. You can also go on to believe that because you've never seen an X1000 or a SAM460 that they doesn't exist either, despite people telling you that they do, and they are all merely a scam.

I hope you don't take this personally, but certain people in this community act like beaten dogs who no longer trust anyone, and anything you tell them is met with derision. With all the crap that's gone on that it is understandable, but there comes a point where you should just get over it.

The Commodore USA owner is Barry Altman. For some reason his bio has been removed from the menu, probably due to clutter, but here is the page anyway. http://www.commodoreusa.net/profile.html

He seems to be a reputable business man, rather than someone who just walked off the street. I have posted a bio before but I can't find it right now. Will post it when I find it.
edit: it's on another site, and not entirely related to this topic so here is the quote.

The owner has heaps of engineering and computer knowledge and founded a major satellite cable hardware company in the 80s with hundreds of site locations. He used Commodore64s to run his multi-million dollar business back then and became quite enamored with them. Later, he even used the Video Toaster for overlays on some broadcasts. He used Apples in his businesses for quite a while.... and also used these Cybernet All-In-One PCs because it reminded him of the Commodore64 he enjoyed and loved, and he is passionate about it and wants to share that Commodore adoration with the world. His family also owned major shopping complexes in New York and has a history in retail. I may be a little off on the bio, as it is from memory, but you get the gist.

He told me he used to run one of his first businesses on Commodore64s and loves them. He is relatively unfamiliar with our world of Amigadom, but seems willing to cater where possible.

This Engadget article is by no means presented as proof of anything, but I thought you might find it interesting.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/16/the-commodore-name-licensed-again-for-a-line-of-keyboard-pcs/

With any luck, later this year the company's monumental advertising campaign will have had its effect ("something like you've never seen in your life," as Altman described it to us on the phone this afternoon)

He told me the kind of ad campaign he had planned. If it is a 30 second ad that I think it will be, the first 5 seconds, you'll think you've seen it before, the next 10 seconds you'll get a slight surprise but still think you'll know where it is headed because you'll have seen something like it before. The last 15 seconds you'll be WTF....how did they do that? If it is what he told me, they'll be talking about this in advertising circles for years. It's either going to be cringe-worthy or shocking depending on how it is done, but definitely will get people's attention that Commodore is back.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:53:01 PM by BigBenAussie »

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 03:43:42 PM »
Why won't they just let it die?! >.<

This is basically a re-branded surf-board, with performance comparable to a 800 MHz PIII (which is more than enough for surfing, but not really impressive).

Unless the whole "built-into-a-keyboard" thing makes you tick, you'd be better off with a cheap netbook.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline VingtTrois

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by VingtTrois
    • http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/6006/1_2316_My_AMIGA_Collection_Sept2010.jpg
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 04:03:03 PM »
Another a copy:

Decembre 2009.

http://www.blogeee.net/2009/12/gecko-surfboard-un-autre-pc-integre-au-clavier/

Thanks you YODA

Definitively a FAKE ?!?!
-A3K(T)040@35MHz/78MB/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/PICASSO II/GVP IO/A2088XT/DENEB/HDD18GB
-A3K(D)030@25MHz/134MB RAM/KS3.1/OS3.9/Buster11/RETINA Z2/OKTAGON 2008/VLAB YC/MIDI/DKB3128/HDD18GB
-A2K/ROM 1.3-3.1/2MBCHIP/8MB/A2091/OKTAGON 2008/A2058/TANDEM IDE/FlickerFixer-Scandoubler/Genlock
-A1200/KS3.1/2MB+9MB/CF2GB A1200[/

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »
@VingtTrois
Thanks... Seems I was way off on the price.
Expect around $100US without Windows.
That seems like a great price!!!!

No-one was under any illusions that Commodore USA had created this from scratch were they? Especially after re-branding the CybernetPC.
http://www.slashgear.com/norhtec-gecko-surfboard-99-linux-pc-in-a-keyboard-1766281/

Definitively a FAKE ?!?!
Unless your definition of fake is different to mine, something that exists, is readily available and is re-branded, is not fake.
This is no different to rebadging done by other PC vendors.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:17:46 PM by BigBenAussie »

Offline tone007

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;552134
but I hate all these new devices

Your hate is your weakness, and shall be your downfall!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 05:16:24 PM »
No DVI? That's a bit of an oversight.
int p; // A

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;552136
@skurk

Of course you are entitled to your opinion of its legitimacy or existence. You can also go on to believe that because you've never seen an X1000 or a SAM460 that they doesn't exist either, despite people telling you that they do, and they are all merely a scam

Well, I haven't seen Japan either, but somehow I know that one exists :-)

It's just the whole package that I'm not buying.  Unprofessional website, domain registered March 17th this year and expires next year, anonymous registration, cut-and-paste text from other websites, poorly photoshopped images, stolen images from other websites... I could go on, but in short this just smells like a troll/prank.

I hope you don't take this personally, but certain people in this community act like beaten dogs who no longer trust anyone, and anything you tell them is met with derision. With all the crap that's gone on that it is understandable, but there comes a point where you should just get over it.

Of course.  I'm a beaten dog as everyone else here, but I the only one I don't trust is Amiga Inc, obviously.  I have faith in Hyperion, A-Eon, and others that at least pretend to be professional.

The Commodore USA owner is Barry Altman. For some reason his bio has been removed from the menu, probably due to clutter, but here is the page anyway. http://www.commodoreusa.net/profile.html

You see, since I think this is fake (or at least something very unserious) I don't take anything on the website for granted.  Everything could be made up.

He told me the kind of ad campaign he had planned. If it is a 30 second ad that I think it will be, the first 5 seconds, you'll think you've seen it before, the next 10 seconds you'll get a slight surprise but still think you'll know where it is headed because you'll have seen something like it before. The last 15 seconds you'll be WTF....how did they do that? If it is what he told me, they'll be talking about this in advertising circles for years. It's either going to be cringe-worthy or shocking depending on how it is done, but definitely will get people's attention that Commodore is back.

He-he, well, it's my thoughts against yours, so I'll keep my pessimism to myself and believe it when I see it.
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 06:28:09 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;552056

If you shop around you can find them even cheaper, I did. And they're not that small either, here's me with mine - http://i46.tinypic.com/2envwx3.jpg

They're not stuck with some ugly PC company's name or badge on them either, just that Intel Atom sticker which you can peel off.

Cammy, is that Hal Jordan on your wall? :)

@ Skurk,

Actually, as of 2008, Japan has become entirely virtual. It exists, but only in the virtual world. The real Japan is actually the 52nd state of America, right after the 51st State, the United Kingdom.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:32:57 PM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 11:06:44 PM »
The UK isn't a country...

Honesty I've no idea about this C= USA stuff. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the fireworks.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.