Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood special offer to celebrate 2018  (Read 5895 times)

Description:

Offline softwarefailureTopic starter

Hollywood special offer to celebrate 2018
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
To celebrate the new year Airsoft Softwair are now officially the hardest DISCOUNTING men in code business because for a short time only Hollywood is now available for each platform individually for just half the price. This offer is very interesting for people who only want the Amiga version of Hollywood, for example. They can now buy Hollywood just for the Amiga platform (which includes native versions for AmigaOS 3, AmigaOS 4, MorphOS, AROS, and WarpOS) for just 49 euros instead of 99 euros which is a saving of 50%! The same is true for people who only want the Linux, Mac OS, or Windows version of Hollywood. Single-platform licenses are now only 49 euros for a short time! People who want Hollywood for all platforms can still buy the all-round version for all platforms for 99 euros of course.

Note that the single-platform versions of Hollywood still support compiling for all platforms supported by Hollywood, so even if you only buy Hollywood for Amiga, you can still compile for all other platforms including Linux, Mac OS, and Windows as well!

This special offer is now available for a short time only on the official Hollywood portal at http://www.hollywood-mal.com/

Brought to you by Airsoft Softwair, the hardest working men in code business.

Offline amigasociety

Re: Hollywood special offer to celebrate 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:46:44 PM »
Quote from: softwarefailure;834906

I been thinking hard about buying Hollywood and Designer.... just for the fun of it.  I am not a programmer but would not mind testing the waters.

Any chance Hollywood Designer 4.0 for Amiga also has the 1/2 off?  

If it is, you may have a new customer in me making a purchase of both that and Hollywood.

I would want both and don't see the point buying only 1 on sale as I can't afford the Designer at full price too... but if 1/2 off.... I may just finally bite the bullet.  :laugh1:

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »
I cant agree more on the sentiment that whilst Hollywood sounds great with all its features, it has no sense at all without Designer to use it.

Would you buy a compiler for a propietary computer language without any GUI for ease of use?

It makes no sense to buy Hollywood alone (without Designer). If that is the case it would be much better to get a C compiler like GCC 6.x which has even more portability options and it lets you even learn and develop in a programming language that is used almost everywhere in the computing world. And if you need multimedia, you can either code it from scratch or just reuse one of the hundreds of libraries available.

On the other hand, Hollywood + Hollywood Designer together, bring something new, and that is a reasonable aproach to ease the effort in developing software. That is certainly a worthwhile product, but the Hollywood compiler alone as a product has no sense at all.

Offline pVC

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:56 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;834914
I cant agree more on the sentiment that whilst Hollywood sounds great with all its features, it has no sense at all without Designer to use it.
I couldn't agree you less :) You probably haven't understood what Designer actually is.

Would you buy a compiler for a propietary computer language without any GUI for ease of use?
Hollywood itself is a programming language, which is bundled on all platforms with a simple GUI to run, compile, and view source codes, but for real programming you need a text editor, or more preferaably an IDE. Hollywood comes with a native IDE for Windows, but on other platforms you need to get that separately (for Amiga compatibles CubicIDE is great and has full support for Hollywood).

Designer is NOT an IDE, and it doesn't help at all in practise with the actual software development. Designer is fine for making presentations (in style of Scala or PowerPoint) and compiling them to all platforms, but Designer doesn't help you when you want to code a GUI based application, making a game of any complexity, or anything which isn't a page by page based presentation. Although you can embed custom code into Designer scripts, Designer itself only uses fraction of Hollywood's features.

It makes no sense to buy Hollywood alone (without Designer). If that is the case it would be much better to get a C compiler like GCC 6.x which has even more portability options and it lets you even learn and develop in a programming language that is used almost everywhere in the computing world. And if you need multimedia, you can either code it from scratch or just reuse one of the hundreds of libraries available.
If you want to code yourself, you don't need Designer. I have both and I've only done couple quick presentations with Designer, but mostly I haven't used it for anything. But I code with Hollywood almost daily otherwise. It makes perfect sense to buy the Hollywood alone without Designer if you're not interested about presentations, but would like to do easy and quick programming.

I've tried to learn C whole my life every now and then, but I never quite got familiar with it and I still don't trust my programs would be clean and wouldn't trash the memory :) And it's really hard and time consuming to make everything from scratch, and not to talk about going multiplatform and learn all initializing quirks on each platform. I never would get anything done that widely.

On the other hand, I bought Hollywood two years ago, learned it already pretty well within couple weeks, and I've already done many complex programs I'd never got around with C. Hollywood is really well documented with lots of examples, graphic routines are high level and you don't need to spend days coding simple graphic effect which can be done in one line in Hollywood, and even though Hollywood is really high level language it's still surprisingly fast. You have all kinds of functions from networking to audio and video playing in Hollwood already there, just get to the actual point of your coding without spending an age preparing code for "secondary" things. Hollywood programs also run "sandboxed", so it's very safe language for beginners and especially suitable for our Amiga platforms which don't have memory protection. With all the nice plugins it's also easy to get into MUI programming etc.

And the cross-compiling really is a beast. It couldn't be more easier, no need to setup complex cross-compiling environments and do platform dependent code at all. Just compile the program for any of the supported platforms (except Android) from the platform of your choice, no need to configure or get anything.

I really wouldn't hesitate buying the compiler alone, if you are interested about easy and rapid software development no matter if you're a beginner or more experienced programmer. If you don't have 24/7 time to learn some lower level languages and tinker everything yourself, but would want to get something done, get the Hollywood and have fun :) It doesn't get any easier than this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:00:07 AM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline dirkzwager

• Show only replies by dirkzwager
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »
Quote from: pVC;834924
I couldn't agree you less :) You probably haven't understood what Designer actually is.

Hollywood itself is a programming language, which is bundled on all platforms with a simple GUI to run, compile, and view source codes, but for real programming you need a text editor, or more preferaably an IDE. Hollywood comes with a native IDE for Windows, but on other platforms you need to get that separately (for Amiga compatibles CubicIDE is great and has full support for Hollywood).

Designer is NOT an IDE, and it doesn't help at all in practise with the actual software development. Designer is fine for making presentations (in style of Scala or PowerPoint) and compiling them to all platforms, but Designer doesn't help you when you want to code a GUI based application, making a game of any complexity, or anything which isn't a page by page based presentation. Although you can embed custom code into Designer scripts, Designer itself only uses fraction of Hollywood's features.

If you want to code yourself, you don't need Designer. I have both and I've only done couple quick presentations with Designer, but mostly I haven't used it for anything. But I code with Hollywood almost daily otherwise. It makes perfect sense to buy the Hollywood alone without Designer if you're not interested about presentations, but would like to do easy and quick programming.

I've tried to learn C whole my life every now and then, but I never quite got familiar with it and I still don't trust my programs would be clean and wouldn't trash the memory :) And it's really hard and time consuming to make everything from scratch, and not to talk about going multiplatform and learn all initializing quirks on each platform. I never would get anything done that widely.

On the other hand, I bought Hollywood two years ago, learned it already pretty well within couple weeks, and I've already done many complex programs I'd never got around with C. Hollywood is really well documented with lots of examples, graphic routines are high level and you don't need to spend days coding simple graphic effect which can be done in one line in Hollywood, and even though Hollywood is really high level language it's still surprisingly fast. You have all kinds of functions from networking to audio and video playing in Hollwood already there, just get to the actual point of your coding without spending an age preparing code for "secondary" things. Hollywood programs also run "sandboxed", so it's very safe language for beginners and especially suitable for our Amiga platforms which don't have memory protection. With all the nice plugins it's also easy to get into MUI programming etc.

And the cross-compiling really is a beast. It couldn't be more easier, no need to setup complex cross-compiling environments and do platform dependent code at all. Just compile the program for any of the supported platforms (except Android) from the platform of your choice, no need to configure or get anything.

I really wouldn't hesitate buying the compiler alone, if you are interested about easy and rapid software development no matter if you're a beginner or more experienced programmer. If you don't have 24/7 time to learn some lower level languages and tinker everything yourself, but would want to get something done, get the Hollywood and have fun :) It doesn't get any easier than this.
pVC thanks for the very good explanation.
Now i understand what Hollywood and designer is.
Amiga 4000/040 with picasso 4, Amiga 500 with ACA 500 plus, Powerbook G4 17* 1,67 Mhz and MorphOs,

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:17:37 PM »
Thank you for the detailed explanation of Hollywood. It really helped me understand a lot more about it's capabilities.

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;834912
I been thinking hard about buying Hollywood and Designer.... just for the fun of it.  I am not a programmer but would not mind testing the waters.

Any chance Hollywood Designer 4.0 for Amiga also has the 1/2 off?  

If it is, you may have a new customer in me making a purchase of both that and Hollywood.

I would want both and don't see the point buying only 1 on sale as I can't afford the Designer at full price too... but if 1/2 off.... I may just finally bite the bullet.  :laugh1:

TJ

Just made the purchase.

Thanks

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
@pVC, nice convincing job.... reading your text made me take the plunge.  ;-)

Purchased just the Amiga version for now and see how things go.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline pVC

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;834966
@pVC, nice convincing job.... reading your text made me take the plunge.  ;-)

Purchased just the Amiga version for now and see how things go.

Hehe, good :) I just feel that Hollywood is a bit underrated and misunderstood by many. It just deserves more love and with it it would be possible to revive software development on our platforms.

BTW. Crash Course to Hollywood Programming tutorial is a good starting point for beginners.

Offline pVC

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
And one killer feature I forgot to mention is Hollywood's RapaGUI plugin. It takes the multiplatform support to a level never seen before.

The portability of C was mentioned, but with C it means that program has to be written portability in mind, and even then it means basically of porting command-line only programs or programs with custom graphics output or UI. And if a coder has used fork() or similar stuff (like almost every Linux coder does), then it's practically a no-go for Amiga.

And even bigger issue arises when there's a program using native GUI of an operating system, because then you should write the whole GUI from scratch for each platform you would want to support. In most cases it practically means that you write almost the whole program again. Ever seen any GUI based programs from mainstream platforms ported to Amiga successfully?

But with the RapaGUI plugin you just can write one program with just one GUI definition, and it will work on all platforms with their NATIVE GUI toolkits as it is! If you run the program on Amiga, it uses MUI. If you run the program on Linux, it uses GTK. If you run the program on Windows or Mac, it uses their native GUIs too. You as a coder don't have to know anything about different GUI toolkits on different platforms at all!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:56:37 AM by pVC »