Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A4000 Power Supply  (Read 1522 times)

Description:

Offline spaceman88Topic starter

• Show only replies by spaceman88
A4000 Power Supply
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »
I decided to take box full of parts and turn it into an A4000. I put the motherboard and a hard drive into the case and played around for 10 minutes then shut it off to connect a floppy drive. Now there's no power from the supply. I measure 167 VDC on the two large capacitors (330uF) and over 300 v on what I think is the switching transistor. The supply is made by Skynet (they must have given up on robots ;-). I found a couple of poor connections, but that didn't help. Is there a common problem with these? Are there any PC supplies that can be easily modified to fit?
Thanks

Re: A4000 Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »
BTW, there was no cover on the power supply when I got it, so someone else may have had a problem with it before. The first time I tried it, it didn't come on, but I thought the power cord wasn't plugged in far enough. It may be intermittent.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:43:55 AM »
Quote from: spaceman88;679279
BTW, there was no cover on the power supply when I got it, so someone else may have had a problem with it before. The first time I tried it, it didn't come on, but I thought the power cord wasn't plugged in far enough. It may be intermittent.

You know, while this reply did not answer your question, I must say this. You GOT BIG BRASS balls to be that BRAVE to attempt powering your A4000 while the power supply have no cover what so ever. The very thought that a power supply is with no cover not only terrifies me but turns me into a petrified cat who wish to climb a tree and meow maliciously up on a tree branch.

Not only did you not do that, but you actually attempted to power you A4000 with a power supply with no cover. Personally, I would remove the power supply and throw it on the trash cash and wipe my forehead by removing this evil device from my house.

You've got guts, that's for sure!!!

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:47 AM »
I'll second that. You could easily damage A4000 (and yourself!) beyond repair with broken PSU. You should connect it to some old HDD first to make sure it works fine. (as switching power supplies need some load)
There are 'microATX' power supplies that would fit inside the original case:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25070
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:55:25 AM by orange »
Better sorry than worry.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;679287
You know, while this reply did not answer your question, I must say this. You GOT BIG BRASS balls to be that BRAVE to attempt powering your A4000 while the power supply have no cover what so ever. The very thought that a power supply is with no cover not only terrifies me but turns me into a petrified cat who wish to climb a tree and meow maliciously up on a tree branch.

Not only did you not do that, but you actually attempted to power you A4000 with a power supply with no cover. Personally, I would remove the power supply and throw it on the trash cash and wipe my forehead by removing this evil device from my house.

You've got guts, that's for sure!!!

OK....not sure if that was a compliment or a comment on my insufficient IQ ;-). But your probably right that the best place for the old one is the trash. I'm going to check into the AT or ATX supplies.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
Quote from: spaceman88;679350
OK....not sure if that was a compliment or a comment on my insufficient IQ ;-). But your probably right that the best place for the old one is the trash. I'm going to check into the AT or ATX supplies.

That is SO much better an idea.
And don't use a crappy PC supply either.
Make sure its from a reputable company.

I don't buy junk power supplies for my X86 machines and the parts your about to risk damaging are worth more.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:24:25 PM »
I found a power supply in an IBM desktop and after a little rewiring it works great. Thanks for your input.
Len

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:31:09 AM »
Quote from: spaceman88;679624
I found a power supply in an IBM desktop and after a little rewiring it works great. Thanks for your input.
Len

Good work!

Probably the best solution for Amigas and old Macs (modified PC power supplies).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"