Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raspberry PI  (Read 25021 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Raspberry PI
« Reply #209 from previous page: October 24, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;712453
bbond007: I think you have something wrong somewhere.   My 256Mb Pi (and those of friends) all work fine with whatever keyboard/mouse we happen to have spare.  It definitely sounds like something isn't right there ...
Thinking about it, I suspect that bbond007 has a power supply issue... The Raspi model B needs at least 700mA to function and some keyboards/mice will try and pull much more that that.

I'm using a 1.2A (IIRC) supply, and have has no USB issues at all.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #210 on: October 24, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;712454
Thinking about it, I suspect that bbond007 has a power supply issue... The Raspi model B needs at least 700mA to function and some keyboards/mice will try and pull much more that that.

I'm using a 1.2A (IIRC) supply, and have has no USB issues at all.

I'm using a PS with 2A and ther PI actually runs just as well without the PS - getting power from my 16 port USB HUB.

The problem seems to be with the Cosair and Logitech backlit keyboards. It works well with the cheapo keyboards I have tried like the Belkin and I just tried a Lenovo OEM.

Settign the clock back to 700mhz does not seem to make a difference.

this is the update guide I followed:

Quote from: some dude

Here's the how-to I made from my troubles getting it to recognize the memory split for 512MB Pi boards

Create your new installation on SD
boot it
change the following in raspi-config
· Resize partition (as needed)
· change password (as needed)
· 128mb split (or whatever value you need)
· timezone set to your locale
Exit raspi-config (do not choose to reboot yet)
set your time
date -s "22/10/2012 08:00am"
Run raspi-config again
· update raspi-config (now that your date/time is set properly)
Exit raspi-config
sudo reboot (to Resize partition)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git (Since you can't run rpi-update without it)
sudo wget http://goo.gl/1BOfJ -O /usr/bin/rpi-update
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/rpi-update
sudo rpi-update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo sh -c 'cp /root/.rpi-firmware/* /boot'
sudo rm /boot/arm*_start.elf
cd /boot
sudo nano config.txt
Add "gpu_mem_512=XXX"
Add License Keys for MPEG & VC-1
Add overclocking settings (if desired)
Ctrl=O
Ctrl-X
sud

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #211 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;712463

The problem seems to be with the Cosair and Logitech backlit keyboards.

I ain't no rocket scientist, but driving all those LEDs for the backlit fanciness could very well be an issue.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #212 on: October 24, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »
@bbond007

Well, I would say backlit keyboards definitely pull too much current... But as you say, it's on a powered hub so that "should" be a non-issue.

Also, you should run the Pi at 1Ghz turbo mode really... And only drop it down if the device is unstable (an unstable pi, will just reset when the load is too large) at that over clock. Linux is not a lightweight OS by any standard, and prefers the faster clock speed!

Offline bbond007

« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;712471
@bbond007

Well, I would say backlit keyboards definitely pull too much current... But as you say, it's on a powered hub so that "should" be a non-issue.

Also, you should run the Pi at 1Ghz turbo mode really... And only drop it down if the device is unstable (an unstable pi, will just reset when the load is too large) at that over clock. Linux is not a lightweight OS by any standard, and prefers the faster clock speed!

Cool. I'll try it when I get home, I'm at the eye doctor now and I don't know if they would appreciate me plugging in the PI to the TV in the waiting room.... But if they take as long as usual...

I also tried playing a few video files, one was 1080 h264, one was Divx. Used VLC, mplayer, the supplied one(o..something) and it did not go well. I did end up buying those codecs, hopefully it helps. Not installed them yet. I was playing the video files from /home/pi...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;712476
Cool. I'll try it when I get home, I'm at the eye doctor now and I don't know if they would appreciate me plugging in the PI to the TV in the waiting room.... But if they take as long as usual...

I also tried playing a few video files, one was 1080 h264, one was Divx. Used VLC, mplayer, the supplied one(o..something) and it did not go well. I did end up buying those codecs, hopefully it helps. Not installed them yet. I was playing the video files from /home/pi...
For video playback I use omxplayer (which is command line only at the moment), it plays back 1080p H.264 videos with virtually no CPU usage!!! :)

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #215 on: October 24, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;712464
I ain't no rocket scientist, but driving all those LEDs for the backlit fanciness could very well be an issue.

Speaking of which - has anyone gotten the G15 LCD display working on the Pi yet? I'm thinking about buying one just for tinkering around, and would love to have a terminal running in the keyboard. :)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline bbond007

« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2012, 06:40:40 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;712478
For video playback I use omxplayer (which is command line only at the moment), it plays back 1080p H.264 videos with virtually no CPU usage!!! :)

Yeah, that's the one that I could not rember the name of. Was not able to play the videos smoothly. I suppose you have the codecs?

I can try the codecs when I get home...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:47:01 PM by bbond007 »

Offline bbond007

« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;712478

I tried omxplayer again and it now plays videos really smoothly - even the 1080p video. I'm not so sure what I was doing wrong last night. Maybe I just needed to reboot. It would play really fast then stall over and over... strange.

Anyway, I put my codec keys in the config.txt and changed my OC settings and now this thing is running pretty well. I did not go for the full 1000mhz yet but that is next.  

I'm still using the Logitech backlit KB, usually resetting the hub after each reboot.

thanks.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:51 AM »
Wow! I received a shipping notice from Farnel, I guess the backlog is clearing :)

Offline bbond007

« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;712529
Wow! I received a shipping notice from Farnel, I guess the backlog is clearing :)

I ended up getting mine from MCM electronics.

this is the case i got with it.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/ADAFRUIT-INDUSTRIES-859-/83-14388