Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sad  (Read 8637 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaverTopic starter

Re: Sad
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 09:03:39 PM »
A Bandit says, "“Badges? We ain’t got no badges! We don’t need no badges!  I don’t have to show you any stinking badges!”

A Trolls says, "AOS4? We ain’t got no AOS4! We don’t need no AOS4!"

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
I have consulted a transplant and GI surgeon about how certain people have been able to surgically invert their colon and become able to speak out of their ass; it is amazing how commonly this is done.

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 04:58:19 PM »
I can afford a X1000, but I rather not buy one in it's current state. 4.2 doesn't seems to be near finished, and therefore isn't polished enough to justify the price as you can't use both cores nor get proper 3D support (looking at benchmarks from AW.net Warp3D seems unimpressive on HD cards).

This doesn't mean I could never consider buying one. Reading Epsilons excellent X1000 blog I get the feeling he is having a lot of fun with it (except for it breaking down for him recently). Which is all the justification I need to spend that kind of money on a hobby.

I might reconsider if either 4.2 arrives or Trevor becomes the new CEO of Hyperion as he does get things done! First because he has the cash and second because he is motivated since he got the heart of a supergeek :)

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 06:49:52 AM »
Well it never hurts to be in support of something, even if you are mislabeled as an "optimist" with a cup containing half the amount of fluid it was designed to hold -- this is not a design flaw, but a feature of expanded capacity for the same relative cost.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Show only replies by AmmoJammo
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »
interesting theory....

completely retarded....

but interesting...

I'd never even consider buying an X1000, looks like a complete waste of money to me! But I've blown (ah, invested?) well over $5000 on other "useless" items....

So how does that work for your theory?

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 02:03:16 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;787469
Well it never hurts to be in support of something

Good, then go elsewhere and be in support of something, instead of opening useless and offensive threads here.

Thank you.

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 08:11:57 PM »
A wolf in troll's clothing?

A troll? Who me?
I receive a lot of emails and PMs from Amiga well-wishers who view but prefer not to post in public on the Amiga community forums. I do remember my own situation, way back in 2004, when I first started posting on AmigaWorld.net and Amiga.org. It was a little intimidating at first, even for me, but it did not take long before I was sharing my Amiga passion with like minded individuals. Unfortunately all open community forums seem to attract a few posters who have no real interest in the forum they visit but take delight in causing disharmony and spreading FUD! You will be unsurprised to learn that this phenomena is not restricted to the Amiga community forums. A recent scientific study reported that "trolls are by far, more likely to have narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic personality traits". The report also suggest that such people are "characterized by being vicious and degrading toward others, sometimes physically and in the most extreme cases are sex offenders and serial killers". Ooooeeerr! According to the research, it seems that letting certain people vent anonymously in public forums they are less likely to do something much more destructive in person. So next time you see a troll on an Amiga forum just ignore them and remember you are providing a greater public service.

From Trevor's blog

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
BTW,

Thank you for allowing me to expand my "ignore this troll" list.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:06:07 PM by danbeaver »

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 08:33:10 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;787491
BTW,

Thank you for allowing me to expand my "ignore this troll" list.

I've never used the ignore list feature. I've been tempted to at times, but I subscribe to the theory that in order to ignore someone you first need to hear (see) what they are saying.

Ignoring need not be ignorance.

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
In general, I agree, but when these folks set out to anger-up others, I would just rather ignore them rather than lower myself to their level.  While they may have valuable insight into something, there are 10 non-angry folks not trolling the forums and flaming their crap.  These 10 normal people will provide more information as I will read what they say and not turn away to bump up my ignore list.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
Someone help me out here:

Is this guy just pulling a thick one (aka trolling) or really that bonkers ?
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »
Ignore list updated.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;786281
Here is a theory: the people who complain about the X1000 price can't afford one, and rather than complaining about how they ended up in a dead end, low paying job due to a lack of a work ethic or not getting good grades in school, they whine over the cost of a computer.  It is obvious that they want to be able to own one, but can't make the money to afford one.

So rather than going for the "sour grapes" basis of existence and showing that their poor choices in life are their own fault, they should spend their time trying to make more of their pathetic little lives.

I haven't looked at X1000 related stuff in a while (in fact, I was pretty sure they weren't being sold anymore, but imagine my surprise!  And now under 3 grand!  whoopee!) but it hasn't really changed since its debut.  In the end its a machine to run AOS4, one of three that you can still buy new (sam440, sam460 and x1000) and certainly the most expensive.

If you go with the "blah blah blah its a hobby GFY I can spend what I want" argument, then the x1000 is a great purchase for a great hobby for a great OS.  If you are a little more nuanced with your observations, you may notice that while it may run "faster" than a SAM460, it doesn't really perform that much better - the limiting factor being the software, of course (this assumes you're not running Linux on it - and you aren't, right?).

taking that back a step, for 2700 dollars I could get a decent A4000 or A1200 bare off amibay (or evilbay, lets go with 300 bucks or so, assuming USD and us ebay.  It would be even easier if in GB, as they have all the good stuff).  2400 dollars left...hmm.  Lets go mediator + radeon + spider + soundblaster (call it 500 bucks for easy math).  1900 bucks left.  How about a great indivision 2 AGA (Just because) and a bigram plus at 256MB (lets call that about 500 as well).  1400 bucks...  Well, we can cyberstalk the markets for a 060/PPC card for it ( last one I saw went for around 1200 bucks).  That leaves 200 bucks left over for whatever (maybe a nice Amigakit recapping?).  This assumes you are loading up an A4000.  I think the price might be lower for a 1200.  

So, hey!  Good on you for dropping that money on an X1000!  that just means more classics for me :).

And if I ever get a huge hankering for a next generation amigaOs like, I know that its only 111 euros + the cost of a PPC macmini away :lol:

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 07:55:11 AM »
Quote from: Lionheart;786369

"Sour grapes"?  Keep telling yourself that.  If I spent $3,000 on a 10+ year old Power Mac I wouldn't want to admit it was a dumb idea either.

When I started to move from a maxed out A500 to my towered A4000 PPC back in 1997, I basically started from scratch.

I had won a court proceeding and got 35,000 DM from the opponent's third-party vehicle insurance.

I used roughly 15,000 DM of it to to fulfil my  long-standing dream and bought all the necessary parts for the A4k Tower conversion (mobo, tower kit, HDs, CD-Rom & Ram, tape-streamer, CyberstormPPC with 128 mB, Cybervision with 8mB, a lot of miscellaneous scsi and uw-scsi odds and Ends; later added DVD-Ram, Mediator, Voodoo4 NIC, Terratec 512i digital soundcard and Spider II USB 2.0 that later was replaced by a Deneb), an 19'' Belinea Monitor, a Epson Stylus Color 600 Printer, an Epson GT-4500 SCSI-II flatbed scanner and initially an 56k modem (wich I replaced later with DSL after I got my Mediator and NIC), as well as lots of productivity software.

Next year my self-built A4kPPC-tower will be 20 years old and still serves me well - do you really think I spent too much money it (15,000:20=750 DM = 375 € per year)?

Quote from: Lionheart;786369

Otherwise you're going to be stuck running nothing but a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system with a dual core processor the OS doesn't even support.

Why that?
I still have my two 64 Bit quadcore WIntel boxes and my good old A4kPPC Tower, as well as my old A1.2k Tower, as well as my two maxed out A500s (one of them could be towered any time - I have all the necessary parts incl. Zorro II board).

And if I and my family would not have gotten health problems,  I would have had enough money to afford an A1X1k - I was already on the waiting list and had to step back when the problems arose.

Our health is more important than my Amiga Hobby from my POV.

But I don't feel I am moaning because of that...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline mechy

« Reply #28 from previous page: January 15, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »
Quote from: Lionheart;786354
Speaking of poor choices, who in their right mind with $3,000 would make it a priority to spend it on a computer with an out of production processor with a dead end future road map, 10+ year old technology, and a 32-bit operating system running on a 64-bit processor that can't even support the second core?  

Call me lazy, but the last thing I want is a $3,000 paperweight.  And you might want to lay off on insulting people who don't make a lot of money at what they do.  After all, once Hyperion stops updating OS4 the only upgrade path you'll have is Linux.

+1 the x things are a waste imho.. think if the money had been sent to further the real amiga platform.. Oh well.