Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread  (Read 8319 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Suggestion: Ban-rationale thread
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »
It's not a bad idea but it makes the site even more of a pain to moderate than it already is. Trust me, it's by and large a thankless task.

The moderation policy here is fairly relaxed, but when a warning is given to a member and not heeded then action is taken. As the bottom line reads "We almost always give warnings, but never to the same person twice."

Moderators already are accountable to the site admin, who ultimately lays down the rules. There is a mailing list to which all reported posts go that all moderators have visibility of. Furthermore, deleted posts leave an audit. As part of being accountable, deleted posts remain visible to admins and moderators, along with who deleted it, when and why.

We don't simply delete posts and ban people on a whim.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
Quote from: hooligan;656917
Ban people who question bans. Problem solved :hammer:

int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:10:24 AM »
So, as I was saying, a thankless task...

Quote from: smerf
Just because Magnetic cannot keep from blasting Franko at every opportunity, doesn't mean that you should ban Franko, all Franko was doing is what Franko does best, defend himself, if you can't understand that, then you shouldn't be officiating this argument, Magnetic is the one that always starts the BS on Franko, when all Franko is doing is having fun on the site. He is bothering no one, except for Kesa (who we all bother), now I am not one of Franko's friends and I am always busting him, but me and him take it in stride, we get in no real arguments, but when I and Magnetic get into it, then you are in for a war, and to tell you the truth Magnetic is about as smart as a pissant walking up a tree. If you look at it, all the times Franko was banned is when he gets in a tassle with pis Magnetic, and he usually doesn't even say anything to him until Magnetic has opened his keyboard one to many times.

I find Franko's ban very unfair, and I am not even one of his friends. I just like reading his posts, he has a very petite way about him.

Let's be completely realistic here. You've tried to goad me countless times and if I reacted to you in the same way Franko reacts to magnetic, I'd fully expect to be moderated by the admin. However, I simply choose to ignore it as that's the adult thing to do. That and the fact that I actually don't believe for a second there's any genuine malice in it and quite like watching you figure out how far you can try to goad a moderator... ;)

However, your post above seems to imply this was an entirely one sided incident. It wasn't. Both Franko and Magnetic were warned, first in public, then by infraction and PM not to continue their bickering. When they didn't, they were both banned for the same length of time.

Quote from: Duce;657122

More pissant, pedantic behavior from everyone.  Don't get me started on Franko.  He's an issue, but he can be dealt with.  With all due respect Argo, should have had mods take the high road and sh!tcan this thread before it gets 4 pages long, no?  

Don't assume moderators are surgically wired into the site all day long with absolutely nothing better to do than clean up after people who seemingly do have nothing better to do than make a mess. We do have things such as jobs, families and beds.

It's 7am here and I've just woken up to this same four pages of drivel and other than comment to Argo, I quite agree regarding the action to be taken about the thread.

Thread closed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:54:43 AM by Karlos »
int p; // A