Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any Mandrake users here?  (Read 1002 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Any Mandrake users here?
« on: May 27, 2004, 06:37:04 PM »
After a long line of other Linux distros, I'm trying Mandrake 10 out.  Does anyone here use it?  I'm trying to find out the best way of installing a recent build of Firefox and Thunderbird 0.6, but the package management system ('control centre') doesn't list it.  I've subscribed to the newbie Mandrake user list, but I'm used to you guys, you're a tad more agreeable :-)

Offline Ilwrath

Re: Any Mandrake users here?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 07:11:20 PM »
I used the MDK RPMs available from RPMFind.  Haven't had a chance to use it much (darn work has kept me trapped in Windows the past few days) but it seemed to work on my 10.0 Community build pretty well for the little testing I did.  

You'll probably want to install the Microsoft core font set from sourceforge, as well.  (That way Mozilla Linux will format text almost the same as Mozilla Win, which formats almost the same as IE, which means even poorly laid out sites should look pretty close.)

RPM Find Mandrake 10.0 Contrib.

Sourceforge MS Core Fonts project

Offline alx

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 07:15:34 PM »
I used to use Mandrake 8.1 but I'm on Fedora Core 1 now.  I installed Firefox on both of these from RPM though I cannot find a Mandrake 10 one on RPMFind (there's a 9.2 one here though)

---edit---

@Ilwrath

Looks like you beat me and managed to find the RPMs :roll:

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 07:27:17 PM »
Looks like you beat me and managed to find the RPMs :roll:

:lol:  Hey...  I'm almost quick, sometimes.  They were filed under mozilla-firefox and mozilla-thunderbird for some reason. (instead of just firefox and thunderbird, like I thought they were supposed to be.)  Anyhow, I knew they were there, because I had spent time digging them up for my own MDK10 build.  Thunderbird is .1 version behind (.5 instead of .6), but I never had a problem with .5 on any system I've used, so I wasn't too concerned about it.

I tried to run Fedora Core 2 test 2, but I was the lucky owner of certain BIOS type that it refused to boot on.  After that, I decided to give Mandrake a roll again.  (Like you, I hadn't used it since good ole' 8.1)  At first glance, I'm liking 10.0, but I haven't used it enough for form a real opinion, yet.

Offline lorddef

• Show only replies by lorddef
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 08:10:16 PM »
The main problem with mandrake 10.0 is that they have moved everything about, the {bleep}s. I'd personally stick with 9.2 untill they have ironed out the bugs in 10.0, there will be some I'm sure.
Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you!

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 11:31:32 AM »
I use Mandrake, standard installation (internet version).
everything works just fine, except for the sound (wich is extremely soft, anyone has a solution to that? :-))
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Blomberg

• Show only replies by Blomberg
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 10:42:35 PM »
@mikeymike

Don't know if you're still struggling with this, but here is an easy setup ... thingy for urpmi, just choose the mirrors you want to use and click proceed. Then just paste the output line into a command prompt, and you're all set (well, almost).

If you're still missing sources, you can visit Mandrakelinux.com's mirror page (use the non-iso ones) and add some of the mirrors to the source manager thingy (i forget what it's called at the moment, but it's in Mandrake Control Center), it will usually find the hdlist.cz (or whatever) automatically.
Oh, and you might need some Penguin Liberation Front mirrors as well for the stuff they couldn't get licenses for.

Oh yeah, and I *did* get a Firefox RPM from one of those mirrors, I used the tar version before but after trying to put it "in the right places" it stopped working  :lol:
Before you ask: yes, I am a noob  :-D

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 11:23:34 PM »
I haven't plucked up the courage to boot Linux again yet :-)

I did use that easy urpmi page, but I still wasn't getting anywhere in installing stuff I wanted.  I'm planning on giving more exact troubleshooting info next time I try it.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 07:15:18 AM »
I'm not sure that I could be bothered upgrading. I'm happy with 9.2 (or 9.1, or whatever I'm running now).

If you get it working, tell me if it's good, though. :-)

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 09:07:40 AM »
I've written a page about it on my website so far, if that's of any use to you? :-)