Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any SGI owners out there? Info wanted..  (Read 1715 times)

Description:

Offline marcfrick2112Topic starter

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
Any SGI owners out there? Info wanted..
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »
Hi everyone,
Well I've heard/read a bit about SGI machines... I made the mistake of looking around EPay last night, saw an O2 w/ Lightwave5, and other software pre-installed (although only 128MB RAM) . I thought I could network it to my A1200T for Lightwave renders... But I have no specific info on SGI's ... I know at least one person here on A.org has an SGI (computer? Workstation?)
So, can you help... Where could I find hardware/upgrade info about specific SGI models, such as Indy, Indigo, O2, etc. Max. RAM, drives, monitors, printers, etc...

Tried Googling.. I now know the full history of the company.. but...

What models are recommended? What can, and what can't be done with them?  Mind you, I won't be getting an Altix... ;)

Thanks much!
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T

Offline Splurge

• Show only replies by Splurge
    • http://www.neogeofanclub.com
Re: Any SGI owners out there? Info wanted..
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
http://sgidepot.co.uk

Has some great write ups, check the Tech Advice section.  If you need more detailed help, email Ian, he is extremely helpful.

As far as parts and stuff, ebay is still your best bet.  Some SGI dealers on the net still charge a shitload.
SAM440Flex 800MHz 1GB, OS4.1
A3000D/040 24MB OS3.9, Prometheus/Ethernet/Voodoo
A1200/030 128MB, 20GB OS3.1
A2500/030 OS3.1
A4000/040 dead.. again

Offline gazgod

• Show only replies by gazgod
    • http://www.lincsamiga.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »
I can probably help with memory upgrades, I have a number of o2s and lots of parts here including 2 of the much sort after R12K machines. Though shipping one across the pond is probably too expensive.

As for lightwave, someone else is going to have to help you with that, if you see a machine with it preinstalled *AND* it has the required licenses installed it probably worth buying as the software is the difficult and expensive bit to get.

Gaz

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:51:39 PM »
I've got a couple SGIs I picked up on a whim.  As already stated, a lot of the vendors still charge a fortune for SGI parts.  Craigslist and eBay are the places to get things on the cheap.  Though, beware of location.  Shipping can be expensive.  Most SGI models are deceptively HEAVY!!!

Information is a bit sparse on the models, and there are a lot of variations.  I don't have an O2, so I can't help you on specifics for it.  Personally, I've always had a soft spot for the Indigo2 and Octane models, but probably because those were what I had the most exposure to at work early on.  They are all really cool and unique systems.  Personally, I'd love to have one of the massive Onyx Reality Engine machines, but I'd have to find one locally, as I wouldn't want to even dream of the shipping costs!  

Obsolete has an SGI Buyer's Guide you might want to check out.  They have some helpful info for starting out, and a good overview for each of the common model lines.

Offline dreadwin

• Show only replies by dreadwin
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:16:47 PM »
Hello!  Another SGI owner here (central WI) -- I have an Indy and a couple of O2s (which may even still work!).  I recommend looking at nekochan.net for help.

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
I have two SGI 320's..I like them look pretty cool :-)

Check out two pics I posted here

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?u=4251

Let me know if you would like more info.  Well I have two of them..and they are still a bit of a mystery to me.  They would probably do someone else good rather than me..  I cant remember the last time I used it.  

Thanks
Rich
ny

Quote from: marcfrick2112;456347
Hi everyone,
Well I've heard/read a bit about SGI machines... I made the mistake of looking around EPay last night, saw an O2 w/ Lightwave5, and other software pre-installed (although only 128MB RAM) . I thought I could network it to my A1200T for Lightwave renders... But I have no specific info on SGI's ... I know at least one person here on A.org has an SGI (computer? Workstation?)
So, can you help... Where could I find hardware/upgrade info about specific SGI models, such as Indy, Indigo, O2, etc. Max. RAM, drives, monitors, printers, etc...

Tried Googling.. I now know the full history of the company.. but...

What models are recommended? What can, and what can't be done with them?  Mind you, I won't be getting an Altix... ;)

Thanks much!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:20:39 AM by Vlabguy1 »

Offline marcfrick2112Topic starter

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 02:25:22 AM »
Wow, thanks much everyone... I knew this was the right place to ask :)

gazgod: thanks for the info, I forgot about the licences, etc. And I may take you up on your offer to help with memory, depending on what I get ....

Next to my 1200T is an x86 PC running Xandros (Debian-ish) It was free, there's nothing really bad about it, but it doesn't do anything fun... If I could have a PC that did all the common 'boring' tasks, as well as run LW and such, it would be great...

Well, off to check out the sites you guys suggested. Again, Thanks!
---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T