Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any Apple Quadra Users Here?  (Read 2555 times)

Description:

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
Re: Any Apple Quadra Users Here?
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 11, 2009, 01:09:41 AM »
  Hey,old 68k Macs are not  totally worthless:why I paid 50 cents each for my last 2 pizza box models!

On the other hand, somebody on craigslist in Cincinnati wanted $450 for a Quadra 650 setup ; and got very upset with people emailing him to say the decimal was in the wrong place in his price !(He down to$275 now.

I think there are few legacy Mac users BECAUSE there has been readily available newer hardware all along.A1 and Pegasos were definitely not widely  available or advertised ;the Amiga magazines were gone by the time Pegasos systems were available-at least I didn't see mention of them,and I hung in there buying Amazing Amiga,Amiga Format to the bitter end ! Even subscribed to the short-lived Amiga mag out of Michigan (I think 2 issues were all I received for my year's sub.

Amiga users were encouraged to upgrade from the 500 and 1000s to the big box and then the AGA machines  Peggys are a niche within a niche market!

Finally,if nothing else old Macs can be a source of SCSI hard drives for the classic Amigas.Might as well give someone  a couple dollars for the old Mac and yank the drive before epaying $20 for an old scsi !

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 04:06:16 AM »
It seems like Peecees want the processor to do all the work.
Do Quadras have this same philosophy?
The Amiga seems to offload the work to other processors.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »
It seems like Peecees want the processor to do all the work.

That was more than a decade ago  - the GPU in my PeeCee has 10-20 times the calculating power of the main CPU. With stuff like DirectX, OpenGL, PhysX, CUDA, ... the GPU severely offloads the CPU today. No current CPU is capable of playing back HD video just on its own.
Playing MPEG-4 video loads the system to a mere 5%. Macs use the same architecture, hence the same situation.

But the Amiga has been there FIRST. ;-)

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »

Crisisdog wrote:

I have a Quadra 630 sitting in my closet that I haven't used in years.  I overclocked the 68040 from 33MHz to 40MHz by resoldering some resistors.  Loaded with OS 8.1, definitely slower than my A3000 with an 040/40.  The only good thing about it was that it had IE4 and could support Javascript, a somewhat better browsing experience than anything the Amiga had / has.

Macs didn't become "useful" until OSX.  I had a PowerMac 9500 running with a hacked copy of 10.2, way better than OS9.

I also have a PowerMac G5, kinda sad to see Apple once again forcing users to upgrade hardware to another chip platform as all PowerPC systems will no longer be supported with the next revision of OSX (10.6).

8.1 was more than just a 0.1 update to 8.0.  It even hobbles a 200mhz ppc mac when you go from 8.0 to 8.1.  Stick 8.0 and your quadra will go very nicely.

Yeah i hate the way Apple kills off hardware that could run its latest OS if they chose to continue to support it

Offline DrZarkov

• Show only replies by DrZarkov
    • http://www.retrocom.de
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »
Technically spoken, the Quadras weren't a bad line of computers. They came with MacOS 7.0.1 up to 7.5.5., that was the bigger problem. With MacOS 8.1 it runs quite stable, and you have access to a bunch of applications that weren't (and aren't) available for AmigaOS, like Word 5.1, Netscape up to 4.something, Duke Nukem 3D, Tetris Maxx, Photoshop up to 4.x and so on. Of course you could do the same, but much faster with a well equipped Amiga 3000/4000 running Fusion or even Shapeshifter.

Offline Tron2k2

• Show only replies by Tron2k2
    • http://www.pbronline.us
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
Back in the day, my wife had a Performa with 32 megs and an 040.  I had an Amiga 3000 with eight megs and the same clock speed 040, 25MHz.  The Performa was a slug that could barely get out of its own way.  The Amiga could fly, by comparison.  The difference was phenomenal, but we all know that and it's why we were/are here ;-)

However, even back then, the Mac had the software advantage because Apple, in addition to the legion of fans, was smart enough to hand computers out to developers who might, and usually did, get hyped on them and make applications.  A lesson never learned in this camp until Genesi started handing out Pegasos IIs  to Linux developers-the PowerPC Linux world benefitted greatly from this.  Apple always had the Jobs cult of personality going on (well except for the Scully years..) and sold largely because of that.  Commodore had the superior tech and managed to somewhat sell DESPITE Commodore's being giant D-bags.  When the world caught up to the tech, they were done.  BTW, Commodore did make a boatload of money on the 8 bits.  They just pissed it away, that's all.  Commodore bit the dust for real after Tramiel left and Medhi took over.

Offline LawlessPPC

• Show only replies by LawlessPPC
    • http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZlawlessppc
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 09:23:31 PM »
which kernel are you using. Also disable anything uneeded in bios.eg firewire etc atleast till you have it on drive.