Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any Apple Quadra Users Here?  (Read 2562 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Re: Any Apple Quadra Users Here?
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 07:35:28 AM »
@ DrZarkov
I guess Asymmetric computing rocks.

The more things change the more....     .... we find out that peecee is ripping off the Amiga.
 :-D
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Chrome

• Show only replies by Chrome
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »

Methuselas wrote:

Chrome wrote:

It sucked big time with very expensive proprieraty hw.

*laughs*

Still sounds like OSX to me. :lol:

Heh. Its true. Apple hasnt learnt a thing...
***A500rev6/1MB/kick1.3/dual floppydrive heaven!***

***A1200/Kick3.1/Blizzard 030@50MHz32MB/4GB CF HD/IDEFix/IndivisionSD/FF***

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »
I've always felt the 68k Macs were a bit too sluggish, the first PowerMacs weren't much better - but much of that was caused by the OS, Mac OS <=9 is a very weird story. I've got an old PowerMac 9500 (G4/1000) I'm running OS X Tiger on - quite nifty actually, even on 14 year old hardware...  :lol:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »
Didn't get into Macs until they were *nix.  Pre-OS X Macs didn't even have a command line let alone do simple things like:

cat .bash_history | tr '|' '\n' | awk '{print $1}' | \
 egrep -o '([^/]+)$' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | awk '{print $2 "," $1}'

or

find . -name *.conf -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l -Z mem_limit | xargs -0 -i cp {} {}.bak

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Crisisdog

• Show only replies by Crisisdog
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
I'm a junk collector, I just can't seem to throw anything away.

I have a Quadra 630 sitting in my closet that I haven't used in years.  I overclocked the 68040 from 33MHz to 40MHz by resoldering some resistors.  Loaded with OS 8.1, definitely slower than my A3000 with an 040/40.  The only good thing about it was that it had IE4 and could support Javascript, a somewhat better browsing experience than anything the Amiga had / has.

Macs didn't become "useful" until OSX.  I had a PowerMac 9500 running with a hacked copy of 10.2, way better than OS9.

I also have a PowerMac G5, kinda sad to see Apple once again forcing users to upgrade hardware to another chip platform as all PowerPC systems will no longer be supported with the next revision of OSX (10.6).

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »

Chrome wrote:

Heh. Its true. Apple hasnt learnt a thing...

*snort*

That's my whole point. At least the hardware is getting a tad cheaper, but not by much. Luckily, my Toshiba is a blatant rip off of a MacBook, so I just turned it into a Hackintosh. Granted, my Wifi doesn't work, but I'm just waiting for *nix drivers. My only complaint is the copy of OSX I bought. I still can't do a vanilla install from the original OSX DVD.  :-(
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
I totally agree with Crisisdog... Mac not becoming useful until OSX, etc. And about 10.6 not supporting PowerPC... that's fine by me. As I said in another post, I've noticed major slowdowns in everyday usage since 10.3. 10.4 was pretty good. Probably the best of the modern systems IMO. 10.5 sucks big time and adds nothing useable for the tradeoff in speed. I especially HATE how long it takes for the Finder to tell me things about files I could care less about or do not need to see in the finder. I'm talking about how the various "info" is loaded in the pane. AmigaOS simply knows how to handle hardware and doesn't trip over itself - but we've always known that  :-)

@Methuselas:

How are you getting OSX.xxx on the Toshiba if not by DVD? Was it a real pain?

Offline neofree

• Show only replies by neofree
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »
Mac's pre-OS X sucked and deserved all the bad mouthing any Anti-Mac person gave them.  They did have a nice windowed OS early on, but it was very limited in what it could do (no color, no command line) and the machines where not very multi-tasking friendly despite any windowed environment makes you want to multi-task.

UNIX and it's variants are still the most secure, stable, and multi-tasking capable OS's on Earth.  

Apple currently sells the most user friendly flavor of a UNIX variant.. OS X.

Thanks,

Neofree

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »
 Let me remind the Apple bashers that Apples are still being sold by Apple,unlike Amiga.

Apple users didn't have to wait 15 years between production of hardware:A4000 to SAMep.

Apple has, and continues to make a profit!

Yes,Apple hardware and software  has always been  very high priced.
 I bought most of my orchard used and cheap;except paid $400 for a year old  Bondi iMac  and a couple years later $1000 for a week-old iMac DVD model.Both still work except for  a lightning strike  damaged internal modem in the Bondi.When I bought  those iMacs there was no new Amiga !

Conversely all the really cheap computers  sold by Commodore,Atari,Texas Instruments,Timex/Sinclair,etc meant those companies either lost money or made no profit, so those computers and their software  faded from the mainstream like disco!

Jack Tramiel mania for cost-cutting may not have been the best thing for home computing.Example:his decision to save a few dollars and saddle the C64 with a serial bus  much slower than it need have been frustrated C64 users and helped classify it as  not a serious machine.Tramiel basically ran several companies into bankruptcy and helped clear the field for IBM.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
I think it's funny that Amiga users complain about Apple having high priced hardware, Apple hardware has at least a magnitude better price/performance ratio than Amiga...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 08:58:17 PM »
Yea.  Well, if we could just get obsolete Apple hardware to run Amiga OS4.x....

...I'd have better use for some of the stuff I've rescued.

I've found a G5 for $200.  Good deal?

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 09:15:04 PM »

@Methuselas:

How are you getting OSX.xxx on the Toshiba if not by DVD? Was it a real pain?

No, I'm installing it by DVD. What I'm saying is, the vanilla version of OSX 10.5.6 hangs on install. Now, the [truncated] version works fine, I just can't update it through the software. I'm sure it's something to do with the BIOS. I had to downgrade my BIOS revision to get it to work properly.

It screams, BootCamp works really well with TinyXP and I'm quite happy with it. As I said, my only complaints are that I can't just install directly from my purchased OSX DVD and that drivers for my Wifi don't work. Everything else is fine and has no problems with drivers (My sound chip was a bit of an issue, but was quickly fixed thanks to the abilities of the linux world and their developers).

[EDIT] - I should point out that it is possible to install OSX, via flash drive, but that's not a topic for Amiga.org.

\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 11:19:58 PM »
@ save2600

The 68040  :-)

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 11:32:51 PM »

recidivist wrote:
 Let me remind the Apple bashers that Apples are still being sold by Apple,unlike Amiga.

Apple users didn't have to wait 15 years between production of hardware:A4000 to SAMep.

Apple has, and continues to make a profit!

I agree with much you said, but conversely, I'd be willing to bet there are umpteen more Amiga legacy users (for whatever purpose) than "legacy" Mac users. Especially lines such as the Quadra, classic, etc. And Amiga users didn't have to wait 15 years between production... we've been happily using our gear for all this time  :-)   MorphOS, Sam, Pegasus and the A1 are all bonuses for us! lol

And Apple making a profit... you can thank the iPhone and iTunes for that. Those two important concepts are what is carrying every other concept made by them, including their PC's - which hardware and software wise, are receiving less and less care as they focus more on the other products.

Further, what or how many 3rd party company of Apples are still making hardware for their ancient systems? Unless I'm wrong, I count none. Compare that to the support the Amiga gets. GVP, Creative Computers, etc. There is a lot of value left to squeeze out of Legacy Amiga computers. Most olden Mac's are used in peoples tech museums (if they weren't thrown away in the first place) and are worth diddly-squat comparatively.

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 12:32:15 AM »
This is not an Amiga thread.
:(

Offline recidivist

• Show only replies by recidivist
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 11, 2009, 01:09:41 AM »
  Hey,old 68k Macs are not  totally worthless:why I paid 50 cents each for my last 2 pizza box models!

On the other hand, somebody on craigslist in Cincinnati wanted $450 for a Quadra 650 setup ; and got very upset with people emailing him to say the decimal was in the wrong place in his price !(He down to$275 now.

I think there are few legacy Mac users BECAUSE there has been readily available newer hardware all along.A1 and Pegasos were definitely not widely  available or advertised ;the Amiga magazines were gone by the time Pegasos systems were available-at least I didn't see mention of them,and I hung in there buying Amazing Amiga,Amiga Format to the bitter end ! Even subscribed to the short-lived Amiga mag out of Michigan (I think 2 issues were all I received for my year's sub.

Amiga users were encouraged to upgrade from the 500 and 1000s to the big box and then the AGA machines  Peggys are a niche within a niche market!

Finally,if nothing else old Macs can be a source of SCSI hard drives for the classic Amigas.Might as well give someone  a couple dollars for the old Mac and yank the drive before epaying $20 for an old scsi !