Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Alternative" platforms as primary computers  (Read 5192 times)

Description:

Offline stopthegop

• Show all replies
Re: "Alternative" platforms as primary computers
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
Amiga 4000 060/PPC is my "main" computer.  I also use my CT60 Falcon for a lot of projects.  Less frequently, I use my Milan040, Amiga 1200/060 and TT030.  No Macs (can't stand the OS).  I also have PCs in the house (like almost everyone else), but I've never actually bought one.  I have two PII machines and one PIII, all of which I've plucked from the trash.  The only thing I really use the PCs for is to remote into work which is MS Office VB apps via VPN or through Citrix or to view some websites that unfortunately don't work with Ibrowse.   Not really into games at all so I don't need -or want- a "quad" duo core orgasmatron or whatever..   My computers are more than powerful enough -and then some- to satisfy my needs, plus they're a joy to use.  Unlike windoze, which is a burden to use.  Mostly I use my "retro" machines to, ummm...., compute things.  :)  I do C and .asm coding, DTP, PLC and robotics projects, automation, D.R. modeling,  database design, and to balance my checkbook.  :)          
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline stopthegop

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 09:12:40 PM »

I've spent many long hours since pointing out to Windoze afficionados that when they had a 40Mhz Win 95 PC they could surf the web, send emails, write letters, and what can they do now, with 100 times the Cpu power ? Surf the web, send emails and write letters ! :lol:
Thats enough for now, lets all have a couple of :pint: !!  

haha!  funny. :)   How true
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline stopthegop

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 09:34:06 AM »

DamageX wrote:

And I would say that computers have made more progress in two decades than cars have. Todays cheap wintel box can emulate the once impressive and pricey Sharp X68000 but todays VW Jetta (or whatever) doesn't offer much compared to an '87 BMW M3.

Yes and no. I guess it kind of depends on how you look at it.  In a broad sense cars have only one real purpose; that is to haul one's **tt from point a to point b.  Since they only perform this one function, certainly a very important function, they tend to do it quite well.  PCs, on the other hand, are pitched as the tool for every job -- a digital swiss army knife.  Consequently it tends to be a mediocre tool for a lot of jobs that could be accomplished faster and with less effort than with specialized, yet more primitive tools.  My favorite example (no, LEAST favorite example) is the computer screen as a substitute for the printed manual!  A huge leap backwards!  Another is computer "photo albums".  Pleasing to the eyes maybe, but no substitute for the real thing.  Real photo albums are like living time capsules, physical witnesses to a bygone era.  They have a unique texture, even a faint musk; that charm is completely lost in digital.  Too much "duct tape" (tacked on "features") in newer machines. Computer companies have long abandoned the time-tested wisdom found in the K.I.S.S. principle.  As such I would say that computers have not necessarily advanced more than cars over the last two decades.  I say "advanced" in the purest sense of the word.      

Never really liked any of Apple's OSs.

Me either!  MacOS is like trying to work in Crayon.  

Amiga ru1ez but is out of date and not cost effective.

Yes it does. No it isn't. Perhaps.  

Dave
Primary:

Collection: