Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Alternative" platforms as primary computers  (Read 5214 times)

Description:

Offline DamageX

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
Re: "Alternative" platforms as primary computers
« on: September 17, 2006, 05:39:18 AM »
Surely if our cars were like computers we would have to keep rebooting them and having to open and close the windows to keep them running

You know... when autos that are full of computerized gadgetry get old and corroded, very strange things can happen. Besides that, I have found that rebooting (or disconnecting the battery or flipping the breaker as appropriate) is standard procedure for pretty much all software-controlled things that don't feel like doing their job properly.

And I would say that computers have made more progress in two decades than cars have. Todays cheap wintel box can emulate the once impressive and pricey Sharp X68000 but todays VW Jetta (or whatever) doesn't offer much compared to an '87 BMW M3.

Back to the topic... I first used an Atari 800XL and later became an MS-DOS/Windoze user. With a dozen or more years experience, many MBs of code written in QuickBASIC/EDIT, etc. I will probably never switch. It remains to be seen whether I will "upgrade" to Windoze XP or Vista.

Never really liked any of Apple's OSs. Unix is too complicated. Opensource is a nice idea except that actually reading source code is the least fun thing I can imagine. Amiga ru1ez but is out of date and not cost effective.

Sorry for the long post but this kind of topic is irresistable for a nerd (and gearhead) like me :-D