Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Alternative" platforms as primary computers  (Read 5221 times)

Description:

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
Re: "Alternative" platforms as primary computers
« on: September 15, 2006, 05:22:36 AM »
My conversion hit around 1996, up until then I had an A500 mostly used for playing games.  I did actually use it for typing one of my frist-year Uni term papers connected to a dot-matrix printer, Shudder!!! I couldnt afford a  proper word processor and used some text editing program I found.  It was quite aweful.

After that experience, I sold the A500 and got myself a used 386 with Win3.1 and Word for $50, it made my Uni life a LOT easier.

When I started work, I got a AMD-K6-350 (still didnt like intel) running 95, it was actually very good, maybe 5 lockups in 2 years, (I have above average mechanical sympathy).  By its side I had an A1200 for a while as a hobby box, but that eventually moved into storage after I started using WinUAE.

Eventually, I became more interested in PC's, building, modding, tinkering.  Now, they are no longer a mystery or intimidating, Ive build 7 or 8 machines in the last 5 years and put PC's in arcade machines, built a HTPC and recently got into Linux which I dual-boot on my laptop.    

I really would never go back.

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:14:40 PM »

TheMagicM wrote:
When you say "I would never go back" .. you mean to the Amiga?

Sorry, I meant I'd never go back to using these "retro" real machines as my main computer.  I'd hate to have to use a real C64 or A500 as a main computer nowdays, there's too much I now take for granted;  Speed, 16M colours, MP3s, Connectivity, Cheap upgrades, Software, the list goes on...

Also, I probably wouldnt use a future-Amiga as my only computer, Windows and/or Linux here to stay, for better or worse.

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 01:21:03 PM »
Homer wrote:

I've spent many long hours since pointing out to Windoze afficionados that when they had a 40Mhz Win 95 PC they could surf the web, send emails, write letters, and what can they do now, with 100 times the Cpu power ? Surf the web, send emails and write letters ! :lol:
Thats enough for now, lets all have a couple of :pint: !!  

Oblivion!