Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Alternative" platforms as primary computers  (Read 5190 times)

Description:

Offline mr_a500

• Show all replies
Re: "Alternative" platforms as primary computers
« on: September 15, 2006, 04:11:40 PM »
I use an Amiga 500 as my ONLY computer. Yes, this is a bit insane ...and similar to a Japanese WWII soldier hiding in the jungle 40 years after the war ended. Here's my story (as briefly as possible):

I was pretty obsessed with computers from 1983 to 1987 and spent long hours making my own games and "demos" - typing code as if I was possessed..or on drugs. Then, I started to see computers as an extreme waste of time (and I didn't want to become a "computer geek" - which was a bad thing in those days) so I stopped using computers.

Then I saw "Shadow of the Beast" and became obsessed with Amiga and spent long hours PLAYING games. In 1991 I put my Amiga away - mainly because of lack of software (stores in my area stopped selling Amiga stuff) and because once again I saw computers as an extreme waste of time.

In 1997, I decided to get back into computers because I now saw that computers were not only a waste of time, but big bucks. So I bought a cheap used 486 to teach myself Windows & DOS programming. At first, I had nothing against Windows or Microsoft. The more I programmed, the more I got annoyed. Then I got a programming job where I used Windows every single day (except weekends) and by 1999, annoyance changed to disgust. By 2001, disgust changed to anger and by 2002 anger changed to extreme hatred and loathing.

While browsing the internet in 2002 (...with extreme hatred and loathing), I saw to my utter amazement that Amiga Inc. was still "alive" (although this later turned out to be a cruel hoax, but anyway). I had no idea that there even was anything past Workbench 2.0 or that the A1200 existed. I had no idea that you could do email or browse the internet with an Amiga. I discovered there were lots of possible upgrades for my Amiga 500.

So I started buying upgrades and software for my A500 as if I was possessed..or on drugs. Every week I discovered more and more things that were possible on this old computer. I've used my Amiga 500 every single day for the last 4 years and I always feel happy while using it (*cough... except for a recent unexplained random crash...*cough).

(...but lately I'm starting to realize that computers are an extreme waste of time...)