Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of  (Read 7127 times)

Description:

Offline mechy

Re: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot
« Reply #59 from previous page: December 15, 2021, 07:00:07 PM »
Everything looks ok settings wise.
Here is the warp engine manual: http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/WarpEngine.pdf

Someone mentioned you have the middle of the cable connected to the scsi card? this is not recommended,but since you had scsi completely disconnected with no change its likely not the problem.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 07:02:18 PM by mechy »

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2021, 12:13:26 AM »
This is not going to help one bit but each day I switch on this A4000D behind me and it takes around the same time as yours to boot the floppy. I just leave it for ages and eventually I hear the floppy kick in. And the reason its no help is cus this has a busted hard drive and its on an eternal spin. I have left it over a day and it still doesn't validate the drive... its had it. I just have a Parnet waiting here and an A1200 just in the hope she will boot one last time. But the time taken is weird cus the 4000 is obviously waiting for the hard drive and it takes so long for it to decide there isn't one coming and then boots the floppy. If I wait 20 minutes I will get the CD drive power light flick on.

I haven't read all the thread but I assume after the time period it boots into something. I just get the feeling the computer may be seeking something but can't find it. I have had so many issues with long boot processes. One machine I have to softboot three times in succession and she boots each and every time. I also have one machine that hangs on the SCSI which someone suggested with the dreaded phase shift. I set the computer with the echo so I can see the startup process and I get a stall on the SCSI.

No help sadly. My solution will be to finally accept the hard drive isn't going to validate and change the thing.  You don't have an old 3.5" hard you can connect up. Sorry if you already do that. I just read something about a CF. I don't use them myself so I can't comment. To quote U2 I fear your computer is looking ' But it still hasn't found what it's looking for '... and then boots something else.

Offline David WrightTopic starter

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2021, 02:37:44 AM »
Sorry for your issues Scuzz, I feel it. Playing with all this old stuff requires grit and patience.

Now, coincidentally I just came here to announce it is mostly solved.
I Took all of the jumpers off the scsi settings on Warp card and now, voila, everything boots fine. No erratic mouse movement either. I know I have done this  a few times before but nothing worked. Maybe in conjunciton with another jumper removed (or added) or scsi cable removed completley, I don't know. But there it is.

Does that mean I can't use the scsi connection anymore. I do have a half assed cd rom (scsi) that is now working properly anyways . In the future a ide cd rom maybe?

A sincere thanks for all those that looked at this and gave their input and consideration. Pat the Cat comes to mind who was closest,(prob a few others). Pat did the math on time for lun check and the like and came up with a comparable time.

There still the age old issue of it now hanging on last signal for suspended booting. Always happens after I move too many things around or leave idle for months. Then at some time when powering up it just happens and stays good. That happened yesterday.
That my friends is for another day.
Thanks all and Merry Christmas.

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
Re: Amiga 4000 takes eight minutes to boot (solved) sort of
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2021, 05:38:57 PM »
These jumpers are on the accelerator/processor card?

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2021, 05:51:36 PM »
Yes on the warp card. I had done a total removal before but didn’t change anything then. Maybe a combination of another jumper or disconnect device, not sure.

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2021, 02:40:04 PM »
Dang. Pick up a 3640 card...would have been quicker to find the cause of the issue. So seems something is up with the Warp card?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 12:58:27 AM by Vlabguy1 »

« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2021, 02:49:56 PM »
Well at least it works now and boots fast. Screw scsi, I will live without it. Probably will put an Ide cd-rom drive in it

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2021, 07:51:05 PM »
It's probably fine. More likely to be OK than the CD drive.

The default of "all 3 jumpers on" assumes that all scsi drives will sync.

Most scsi drives default to asynchronous. And all will dumb down to single ended "Amiga era" scsi.

Warp scsi is very good when it's setup right, but it certainly isn't dumbed down or basic options only.

EDIT: OK, SAS SCSI drives excepted, and 68 and 80 pin SCSI drives need adapters to connect to a 50 pin cable.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 09:56:10 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »
An oldie but goodie... rough guide originally written with the A4000 user in mind;-

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/SCSI/SCSIExamples.html
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi