Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows fudges it again  (Read 6118 times)

Description:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
Re: Windows fudges it again
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:07:42 AM »
Quote from: TheGoose;594302
I do agree, people I work with (in a university) don't know how to use Excel or Word to any better degree than they did in 1995. Or use a computer in general with any more proficiency than they did in 1995. They are no better with a quad-core machine than a 486. CPU Power is really just off-set with glossy icons and sliding screens and widgets. How is that "Advancement"?

because there are people using computers for other things besides jacking off in Office?  Important things!

You want NASA to run on 486s, or your bank?   How about the hospitals?

Yeah lets just throw out all the newest technology and slam down some frigging IMSAIs all over the place, just because the people you work with are frigging retards.

If you can afford >4gb of RAM, you can probably afford a 64bit CPU and OS installation, so stop whining and fix the problem.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 05:54:09 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;594602
WTF?  The number of people that work for NASA or a bank are minuscule subset of the world's computer users.  Just coz they might find a use for more than a gig of two of ram doesn't mean 99.99% of everyone else will.

NASA sends humans into space.  They need state of the art technology.   If I were an astronaut and I saw a C64 w/ cables and shit hanging out of the back as the device responsible for sending me hurtling through the atmosphere, I would quit my job immediately.

And what were the specs of the computers used to send men to the moon?

Yes, that was STATE OF THE ART.  It was also dangerous, risky, and HOLY SHIT caliber to do what they did back then..  Theres alot better technology now.  Lets use it, k?   We don't need another Apollo 13 debacle because nostalgic zealots don't want to use new gear and would rather use Fossiltron9000 to send people to the moon.

Most hospitals around us run fairly low spec'd machines, beacsue its all they need for a patient database-yeah and i know about remote live video for diagnostics is A Good Thing, but its a niche thing that is mostly never needed.

I worked for the Cleveland Clinic.  Its a pretty big deal, that clinic.  They exist overseas.   They're everywhere.  They don't use low spec'd machines.  Shit is top notch.   It's like that for a reason.   Cutting edge technology = success and efficiency.   Good luck running patient databases on a Pentium II w/ 128mb RAM.  

Or those real-time monitoring databases with alert software.  Yeah that will go well.

"HOW DID THE PATIENT DIE?"  

"WELL YOU SEE, THE AMIGA CRASHED BECAUSE WE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH RAM TO DO A TRIPLE BYPASS SURGERY AND STORE ALL THE DATA IN REAL TIME AND THEN THE MONITORS FROM 1982 STARTED FLICKERING AND WE COULDN'T SEE HIS VITALS.  WE THOUGHT MAYBE THE 286 RUNNING ALL THE OTHER GEAR WOULD WORK OUT BUT WIN 3.1 CRASHED. SRY"

Newer technology has its place-in the not too distant past, there were users who NEEDED the power of a Cray, now people are logging on to facebook or watching a poor quality you-tube of someone's cat with the a better-specced machine, saying they NEED that 8 Gig 8 core behemoth.

No they're not.  Sounds like you're just jealous your Amiga doesnt run youtube so well.

AAh the motto upon which the PC market is built on:"If it doesn't run fast enough, buy new hardware", which really  means "make it run slow, so you HAVE to". And the only reason why people accept it is because its cheap to upgrade so people just shrug and do it.

Yet again, you bust out the fail.  What do you do when your Amiga isn't fast enough?  YOU BUY MORE RAM AND ACCELERATORS.  JUICE IT UP, GO GO GO.  

The "if it isnt fast enough, upgrade" motto has existed since computers were made.  Apple, Commodore, Amiga, IBM, all of them.  Quit being a bigot.  You updated your Amiga at least once when it needed more oomph, and you know it.

Except there is a looming shortage of rare earth metals, so unless they find another way to make the circuitry, it aint gonna be so cheap to upgrade forever.

get out.  I think there are chimps with higher levels of thought than you. :laughing:

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:07:06 PM »
Quote from: Fats;594685
What NASA needs is anything but state-of-the-art. For mission critical projects they will only use parts that are made with a stable process and that has proven their reliability over time. They won't use the latest, greatest multi-core CPU.

AFAIK you are not an astronaut so you won't need to quit. When you would be an astronaut you would know that you have to use the equipment they provide to you and that it would be tested in-depth to be sure it fulfills the military specs.

greets,
Staf.

You ever been in their research labs and crap?  They're not exactly using vintage equipment...some of it may be a few years old, but its still "new".

Alot of the things done at NASA are using state of the art gear.  Maybe the probes aren't, but a tonnnnnnnnnn of stuff is.  Go there and see for yourself, they give frigging tours of some of the research places ffs.

same with the government itself.  You think they're running the country on some VIC-20's or something?  No.  They aren't.

Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje
QFSPE

(Quoted For Stupidest Post Ever)

How so?  If all you are going to do is quote it and say its stupid without a reason, then well, you're stupid and don't know what you're talking about.

Some of it was exaggerated for effect, and if you missed that well... then.. yet again, you're stupid, and don't know what you're talking about.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 12:53:26 AM »
Quote from: Fats;595000
I was talking about the stuff they send into space not the compute equipment on the ground, e.g. the stuff an astronaut has to work with. For the latter they use the most cost effective, e.g. state-of-the-art equipment.

I live in Europe and did not have much contact with NASA. I am doing radiation hardened chip design for ESA (the European counterpart) though. We use 0.18um technology, not really state-of-the-art.

greets,
Staf.

oh, I was talking about all the stuff in the research center like 10 minutes from my house.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;595147
...where you hang out all the time to tell them what's what and sing the virtues of the PC Engine, amirite?

where I had an internship, toured like 20 times, and have family that works there you mean?

uamrong.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:36:04 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;595197
How's the food there?

aeronautic.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 02:10:55 PM »
Quote from: lurch;595481
i usually just read, not really a big poster. But after reading this thread it appears some people are still stuck in the 80's/90's...

The amiga is a great machine but to me it's just a hobby now. Working in a defence environment vintage tech would prove to be a big mistake.

If i could rewind time back to being a kid with my amiga/c64 i would but in the real world time moves on.

fire the agnus missiles!  The enemy ships are inbound.

We cant sir.  The amiga is out of ram and the accelerator just blew out.

fall back on the breadbin defense mechanisms!!!!!

sir, we cant! The 1541 is misaligned and the program wont load, and hopkins just tripped and unplugged the supercpu.  Its prolly broke now.

fools, what about the vic 20 shield pods?

sir, now youre just talking stupid.

Offline Arkhan

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 06:04:14 AM »
at least when they fail, you can cheaply replace the problem hardware with a few clicks on the googlemachine.