Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: anybody use mandrake linux 9.1 with soundblaster live?  (Read 3232 times)

Description:

Offline WarPiperTopic starter

• Show only replies by WarPiper
anybody use mandrake linux 9.1 with soundblaster live?
« on: August 23, 2003, 11:23:55 PM »
If there are any users out there that use Mandrake linux 9.0 with a soundblaster live card, can some one please let me know if and how you got it to work, also if you know how to get hardware accelleration for a geforce 2 mx graphics card going, it would be a giant help if you can please direct me in the right direction.

Thanks
There was a time I can remember computers were fun...I miss my A1200.

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
Re: anybody use mandrake linux 9.1 with soundblaster live?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 11:42:18 PM »
A sound blaster should work without any hassle , i have not tried mandrake since version 9.0. Hardware accelleration for a geforce 2 mx graphics card should work after you have downloaded and installed the drivers from nvidia, i have had these working when i used suse 8 it makes a big difrence to games  i used the update feature of suse to get nvidia drivers installed . :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 11:47:30 PM »
@WarPiper

9.0 or 9.1? You've listed both.

Either way, the SB Live should be automatically detected, but you will probably find that the sound is muted by default. Fire up Kmix or whatever mixer you have installed and unmute the sound channels.

As for the hardware acceleration, you will need to install the nVidia drivers. I haven't done this yet on 9.1, but on 9.0 it involved installing the two archives nVidia provide and making a quick change to a config file (all documented in the readme). Restart and you should get the nVidia logo before X fires up.

9.1 is really nice, specially the urpmi software management system. You may find the Easy URPMI Configurator site handy.
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 12:02:35 AM »
thanks I was talking about mandrake linux 9.1,  here is my problem, I am still kinda new to the linux thing.  Using the advice and opening Kmix, I un muted everything, and still no sound, during linux installation it said that I had the soundblaster audigy, (which I dont, I have the soundblaster live 5.1 platinum) so I chose the alternative and, so now I dont know how to change it back.  and for some reason I cant seem to log in as a root user to make the modifications, and when I click on configurations/hardware/harddrake, all I get is a spinning hour glass in the task menu then it goes away.

I know, I know, I must sound like a retart...  ...but if I knew it all, there would be no bill fakes, I mean gates.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 12:20:22 AM »
when I click on KDE control center then go to system, them click on login manager then click administrator mode, nothing happens

I cant even get to the login manager to login as a root

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 12:22:58 AM »
@WarPiper

Heh, no problem. I'm something of a newbie when it comes to Linux too, relatively speaking.

OK, the first problem you have is the root issue.

Open up a shell and type "su". This should then ask you for the root password (I assume you did give it one during installtion - 9.1 allows you to not set a root password, but that's a bad idea IMHO). If that works OK, the first thing to do is restart the system to make sure there are no detected problems, and then use the menu to select "Configuration" and "Mandrake Control Center" (this should be the last option I think). You will now be asked for the root password again, and once you type it in the Control Center should come up. Once there you should pick the hardware config... (let me fire Mandrake up and I'll be right back...) :-)
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 12:31:54 AM »
I opened konsole, typed su, typed my pw, then closed console and clicked on log out, then restart, upon shutting down, something called susloth (I think) failed, then while rebooting, somthing else failed but then they system just loaded into the k desktop like normal, there was no menu to boot into root

mandrake 9.0 had a nice menu to chose user/destop/theme, but not 9.1

Offline shIva

• Show only replies by shIva
    • http://preshi.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 12:32:52 AM »
@warpiper : for getting root access, either login as root, to get the $DISPLAY enviroment variable set, or use "su -" for root access from (any) shell. the difference is, that with "su -" (seen against "su") the .bash-profile  (if using bash) is read from the root user. if you only use "su" your $PATH variables might not be set correct.
shIva
the answer is [color=CC3300]42[/color] Support  Distributed Amiga - moo ;)

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 12:34:02 AM »
oh man

Offline shIva

• Show only replies by shIva
    • http://preshi.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 12:34:49 AM »
come to #amiga.org on irc.webchat.org, this might be easier.
shIva
the answer is [color=CC3300]42[/color] Support  Distributed Amiga - moo ;)

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 12:42:23 AM »
ok shlva, I am there using KSirc, crappy irc program

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2003, 12:43:43 AM »
(...right, I'm logged into Linux now...)

I'm running KDE as my default desktop, so your mileage may vary slightly.

Let's go back to the point where you have just logged in under your own name. (9.1 hides the root login option by default)

Use the Kicker to go to "Configuration->Mandrake Control Center". This should come up with a requester asking you to enter the root password. Do so and the Mandrake Control Center 9.1 should pop up for you.

Select Hardware and then HardDrake. this will now list the hardware detected. You should be able to see the SB Live! (audio) under the Soundcard section.

Highlight the card and then click on "Run Config Tool". The Sound Config will now come up, showing "audigy" by default. Click on the selection arrow to the right of the text field and select the emu10k1 driver. Click "OK" and this will apply the config.

(Take a look at the troubleshooting part while you're there. It gives you some shell commands you can checke your setup with)

Quit the Control Center. use the Kicker to select "Mutimedia->Sound->KMix" The green "LED" on the leftmost slider needs to be on. (You should be able to see the muting on the speaker icon that appears next to the clock. If it's crossed out your sound is muted. Turning the LED on and off should reflect on this icon). Also make sure xmms, or whatever else you may be using to test the sound doesn't have the volume turned right down. (The reason sound options are usually turned off is to prevent damage to audio equipment should levels be set too high - better safe than sorry)

If you still have problems logging in as root, even under the shell, you may want to consider re-installing to get a clean install. (although it should be possible to fix your problem anyway, though I may lack the know-how)

Bill Hoggett

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2003, 01:23:39 AM »
how or where is the kicker?

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2003, 02:35:10 AM »
heh I did a clean install and now I get sound and able to access root, thanks now I have to get graphics accelleration going. it was a bad install.

thanks

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2003, 02:44:37 AM »
@WarPiper

Check out that URPMI link I posted earlier. Clear your software sources list, then use a console in "su -" mode to type in each one of the urpmi.addmedia lines to the console (or better still, use copy & paste). This will add an excellent list of repositories for you, including the nVidia archives packaged for Mandrake.

BTW, the Kicker is the bar at the bottom, with the KDE equivalent of the Windows "Start" button at the left side of it.
Bill Hoggett