Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

suggested prefs layout showing benefits of using window tabs
suggested prefs layout showing benefits of using window tabs
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: Although the pic is far from detailed (rather flawed actually), it gives the idea of the functionality that could possibly be gained by using window tabs. In reality there would be more tabs for things such as network settings etc etc.

Obvious faults with the pic are the missing buttons in the recessed window group such as icons for revert, default, load prefs and others.

re: the actual screen prefs section. i have changed it a bit to illustrate that at least the screenmode prefs could be updated with dramatically better usability and more logical layout, im sure my design can also be improved to a large degree too.
Picture Stats:
Views: 3000
Filesize: 39.67kB
Height: 768 Width: 1024
Posted by: teo at June 12, 2003, 02:52:59 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments (8)

AMC258
December 23, 2007, 08:58:01 PM
Tabs are only tolerable if there are a small number of them.  This would not be acceptable for Prefs due to the unlimited number of Prefs editors.  The Prefs drawer itself works better.  Also, you don't want to Save/Use ALL preferences when you change screen modes!  At least, I dont...
motorollin
February 08, 2006, 08:43:16 AM
I don't see any reason why this couldn't be achieved under 3.x. Unless I am mistaken, the prefs programmes in 3.x only parse and manipulate text files containing settings.

It probably wouldn't be a difficult job to write a master prefs programme that can use plugins. Each plugin represents one of the 3.x prefs programmes and creates a tab in the master prefs programmes.

The plugins themselves contain the layout of the prefs module, and how it loads and saves the information from ENVARC:.

Then you could delete the original prefs programmes, or at least move them to an "Unused" drawer.

Hmmmm, time to learn how to programme on the Amiga! :-D

--
moto
Methuselas
August 03, 2005, 10:06:39 PM
Um.......

no.
iamaboringperson
January 16, 2004, 11:34:17 PM
Ever seen the prefs under MOS?
CD32Freak
October 27, 2003, 12:34:24 PM
If you could have the freedom to put the most commonly used preferences in a tab, that would be a great idea!  :-)
Kronos
October 11, 2003, 11:33:06 AM
The principle is somewaht similar to the MOS-prefs (here a vertical toolbar
is used forselecting pages),and the only thing I can say is that it is much
easier/nicer to use than fiddling with a dozen or mor single progs in the
AOS-prefs drawer.
that_punk_guy
September 14, 2003, 01:12:56 AM
it looks nice but tabs for each preferences 'item' we are used to in the Workbench would be crazy...
Oldsmobile_Mike
September 01, 2003, 06:10:20 AM
I like it!

Mike
(Who uses Opera on his PC, and ZLauncher on his Zire 71, both of which have tabbed interfaces)