Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strange links being added to postings  (Read 7711 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: Strange links being added to postings
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
This has annoyed me A LOT quite some time now. I think site owner tries to make more money by allowing this kind of scripted spamming. I really hate this because important links in postings are lost because people won't click any links anymore because of these frigging spam links.

When you say it does happen only on certain browsers or machines, I don't think it's made that way. I believe it is intented to happen with all setups, but some setups just manage to block it.

For me it happens for example with OWB on MorphOS and I don't believe my machine is infected with any adware add-ons.

This is over the limit I'm willing to accept for advertisements.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline pVC

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
Here is a quickly picked thread for an another example.

Ad links for words "mac g5", "Apple PowerPC", "Mac mini", "PowerMac G5", "professional OS", "alternative OS", "Mac PPC"... all in one page only.

And I've seen those links on more general words too... and with clearly Amiga related words.

Offline pVC

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
This is quite horrible thread too, with all those general computing terms linked... and oh there's a link to a new A5000 machine too.

If I was a paying member, I still wouldn't want to be logged in all the time when reading forums to get rid of that crap. Put those ads anywhere else, but not on artificially created links which ruins the experience and purpose of the real links in posts for the most.

Offline pVC

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;752062
I don't mind the link throughs in the least. It's obvious what they are just from the context of what's written in a post and the fact that they're little one or two word deals with a line underneath them. :roll eyes:

Some of us use the links for real purposes, but when people are taught that they're mostly spam, you lose content from your postings in practise. I'll become unlikely that your informative links will be noticed anymore. Real Mac mini links won't be clicked because of spam Mac mini links etc.

Offline pVC

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
Can these links be removed from people's signatures at least?

Offline pVC

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
New status doesn't seem to affect the issue... I still see the links too.

Offline pVC

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;752814
Why wouldn't you just keep AdBlock enabled all the time?  Honestly on my machines running Firefox or Opera, I don't even remember how to turn it off... I've never had to for any site that I visit.

It doesn't work with all browsers. For example AdBlock implementation I have in use doesn't block those embedded links.