Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMD Opteron: NUMA based MP.  (Read 3094 times)

Description:

Chathurawind

Re: AMD Opteron: NUMA based MP.
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 28, 2002, 08:09:13 PM »
Unfortunately, the only major PC vendor who use AMD CPUs is none other than ...  Gateway!

DELL never use AMD. IBM, HP and COMPAQ had discontinued AMD based product because of inefficiency in manufacturing. They prefer to use only INTEL CPUs.

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
Another 64 bit VW chip ....
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2002, 08:09:26 PM »
Someone might be interested about 64-bit PPC rumors:
"Q: I noticed late last year there were a lot of rumors circulating about the G5 but I haven't heard much recently, do you know what the current / rumored time frame for the G5 is?

A:
Just take one look at Steve Jobs' statements from the recent press-restricted shareholder meeting, and you'll get the answer: "we have some pretty good things coming."

In Steve-speak, we're led to believe that this means: we're not going to trample all over the performance issue in one fell swoop, but we're going to continue to come out with systems that widen the gap in certain areas, and catch up in others. In short, the G4 has legs and will move to 1.6GHz+ in the year ahead, along with 400-500MHz high-bandwidth memory. But for those seeking the G5....expect to wait a little longer. It may also not be the processor we are expecting....unless of course Apple passes off the new high-bandwidth G4s as "G5"s."

http://www.macosrumors.com

;-)

Offline eddit

• Show only replies by eddit
Re: Another 64 bit VW chip ....
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2002, 12:35:21 AM »
Personally I think the G4 still has some milage in it.  The current G4's (MPC 7455, ie Apollo) are still using  a 0.18 micron fab process.  When Motorola move to a 0.13 fab process there will be a further speed bump.  

PS: The MPC8540 (Currently the only G5, or e500 core processer being produced) uses the 0.13 micron process.

Edwin
Edwin

Offline eddit

• Show only replies by eddit
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2002, 12:39:47 AM »
Intel will NOT be using the x86-64.  This is a AMD specific extension to the x86 instruction set.

AMD Site

Intel has created a whole new instruction set for their 64 bit processor.  To run x86 instructions they have imbedded a pentium type prucesser into their Mcerd ? chip
Edwin

Offline kubyx

• Show only replies by kubyx
    • http://www.amigatoday.com
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2002, 02:49:41 AM »
The estimated speeds up is about 20% faster, than current x86 CPU's.
Amiga Today - http://www.amigatoday.com

Amiga A1200, Blizzard 1260 060@50Mhz, 32mb Fast Ram, 250Meg hard drive, Squirrel SCSI, 4x CD-ROM, Magnvox 80 column monitor, ZOOM 56k modem, Amiga OS 3.5

Chathurawind

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2002, 06:26:59 PM »
That is why HP and Compaq both have AMD based products being sold, both in laptops and on the desktop.

Stop spreading crap when you don't know what you are talking about.

AMD have very high market percentage in Europe, as high as 50% in some countries.

Chathurawind

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2002, 06:31:57 PM »
The specification is free for anyone to use however. Transmeta is likely to create an x86-64 compatible chip as well, although I don't know why - they really need to sort out their current processor lines first.

Intel is rumoured to be adding the 64 bit x86 instructions to an upcoming P4 processor codenamed YamHill.

Itanium is a big flop - it has cost Intel around 1 million dollars per CPU shipped so far - shame they are charging less than $10k for each chip. It doesn't look like they are going to get much further either - there is a big resistance to the technology (messed up VLIW implementation that compilers have a lot of difficulty optimising for) in the market. Itanium 2 will be released this year at 1.2GHz - maybe it will do better and perform better. But it is not x86 compatible, and people have x86 applications they want to run on their servers. So the choice is not hard really.

Chathurawind

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2002, 02:49:42 AM »
This is a GREAT news!!
Can I run Sheep on this in the future?
I hope Amiga supports this.( and IBM's multi-core)
The IBM multu-core will be FOUR G3 chips shrunk down into just one. Will it be better than this?  I can't thank Amiga.org enough for keeping me informed.
Fantastic job! Important info.

Carl w.