Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Christmas decorations crash Odyssey  (Read 11753 times)

Description:

Offline nbacheTopic starter

Christmas decorations crash Odyssey
« on: December 11, 2023, 06:11:25 PM »
For some days, I have endured the 100% CPU Odyssey demands to display the falling snow on the page - after all, my CPU load went back to normal as soon as I left the page.

Today, the fancy chain of colored lights make matters worse: Odyssey actually crashes with multiple DSIs and eventually locks up after I have Ignored the first ones.

Did you actually test the decorations with Odyssey? Just wondering whether it's just here, maybe I can tweak something to make it work?

Best regards,

Niels

Offline nbacheTopic starter

Re: Christmas decorations crash Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 06:41:13 PM »
Thanks Chris!

Yeah, as I wrote, I didn't mind the snow that much, it just made some CPU load. But the crashes were nice to get rid of.

The thing with Odyssey is that it is not really being developed as such, kas1e has made a few small fixes to the OS4 port now and then in between other work, but cannot take on larger stuff. And I fear this would be "larger", as it's probably a more fundamental lack of support for modern technologies in the media player and/or JS parts (just my guess).

And right now everybody would rather see the work towards a more modern browser which walkero and others are making, get to fruition. So Odyssey is just our life boat in the meantime, but it's the best we've got.

Edit: P.S. Maybe it would be a possibility to make it selectable in the profile settings whether you want to have "demanding animations etc." on the page?

Best regards,

Niels
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 06:43:04 PM by nbache »