Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying to install Amix in WinUAE  (Read 4085 times)

Description:

Offline Noth

• Show all replies
Re: Trying to install Amix in WinUAE
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:40:40 AM »
I've been testing AMIX 2.1c for about 10 days now. I'm a former Amiga nut (A500, A1000 then A1200/68030) and then moved on to Linux, BSD and Unix. I've got the installation working even as a manual install (the script doesn't like large swap partitions (over 256M from what I can tell). If you need any questions answered I can probably answer them.

I've got X11R5 with PicassoII working a couple of times (that install is so bugged), and networking but not DNS going. OpenLook (a desk env) works in black&white.

Offline Noth

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »
Quote from: Failure;743768
Ian (from amiga-hardware.com) had a real nice writeup on how to install Amix in WinUAE on the wiki.  But there was a database hiccup lately, even though I managed to repair the database it ate/truncated the article :-[  But the article on patching to 2.1c and the helper file for the patch disk are still out there!

I'd really like to get another WinUAE article up as pretty much anybody could play with it then, but I need to resolve some hosting issues first.  I'd hate for more info to be lost.

Google Cache still has that page, and it worked fine for me but 490M isn't enough disk space. It's best to use a 950M drive so the installer doesn't hang and you get plenty of space for compiling software, as well as a big swap partition.

I followed a thread over on EAB and also used one of the hard disk images from amigaunix.com and managed to get it up and running, but the image I used was only a command-prompt/console version.

If anyone know where I can get my hands on a fully configured x-windows version (as above), I'd be very interested to check it out.

X11R4 is already ready to go after running "olinit", but in 1bit only. Open Look stops working once you install the PicassoII/Piccolo/GVP drivers, complaining about a missing font...  I haven't tracked down the problem yet but now I have the findutils compiled it's a bit easier. Both twm and tvtwm still work though, so you can start X using xinit.

By the way, X11R4 drivers work a lot better than X11R5 for me. Best to use that. And learn vi, it's crucial to edit files !

I post most of my progress here: http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16727870

Offline Noth

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 01:27:46 AM »
By the way Failure what's the file format of your 2.1 fixdisk? I tried mounting as sysV, ufs, and affs but no dice.

Also, slight bug, if your hostname isn't 'amix' the script fails complaining that it's not running on AMIX!

Offline Noth

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
Quote from: Failure;743922
It's just a shell script actually, so it's installed the same way as the patch disk: sh /dev/dsk/fd0 *edit* Or rather, since you're on WinUAE just sh on the disk image file.

Right I'll give that a try.

Hmm, with the patch disk itself??  I don't recall having that issue but it's been a while.  The hostname I used definitely wasn't "amix."

with the fixdisk you have to apply before applying the 2.1c patch disk.

Offline Noth

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:17:15 PM »
Ah, I haven't actually had to use that yet. But I will once I try it on WinUAE, it should be possible to extract the script and modify it to just use something out of the uname output.

Ok I'll try and extract it too, I'm sure it's easy to fix. Next question, I've tried tape installs of 2.01, 2.03 & 2.1 and none of them complete properly (still in WinUAE 2.7b6). The install scripts seem a bit dumb, 2.1 in particular can't even work out where to get the List file from (each tape archive has its packages named differently, 2.01 has name.cpio, 2.03 has xy.cpio, and 2.1 has xy, with a text file with names in it). Could you perhaps do a md5 or similar of your archives on the site? We're wondering on the eab.abime.net forum (where one of the WinUAE devs is) if they're not corrupted somehow... maybe after your site had some issues? Just to be sure, then we can concentrate on the WinUAE side of things. Another problem is some cpio packages are gzipped but don't have a gzip extension, which doesn't help... It'd be really cool if you could check please! :)