Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying to install Amix in WinUAE  (Read 4024 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_CDTVTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Amiga_CDTV
Trying to install Amix in WinUAE
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »
After having read the couple of threads about the Amiga Unix, Amix, I wanted to try it in the new WinUAE.

I have downloaded the HD hack boot- and root -floppy images and the 2.01 install image from amigaunix.com. I have uncompressed the bz2 file and have the cpio- file. I have attaced that as an SCSI HDD (SCSI6) into a A3000 setting in WinUAE, as well as an empty, new-created HDD image (as SCSI5, the blank disk where I want to install). I can get the installation started, it sees the disks and the installer starts copying files. After some 15-20 min of copying files it halts (see picture) and complains that it encountered unexpected end-of-archive. It does go forward with installation ("Patching kernel...") then followed by an error "Installation of boot partition failed", presumably due to the missing files. Then the installer starts again from the beginning.

Indeed, trying to extract the cpio- file (in either under OS X or Windows) I get complains that not all files could be extracted due errors in the archive. I have tried downloading the bz2 files several times but always the installation fails in WinUAE (though, on the other screenshot below there are couple of lines starting "A3000 Internal SCSI..." but they aren't excatly errors, either but they didn't appear on the other attempt of installation).

Are the original bz2 files at fault or am I doing something wrong here?
Commodore KIM-1, PET-2001, CBM 8032, CBM 8050, CBM 8250LP, D9060, VIC-20, C64, C64c, 1541, 1541-II, 1571, 1581,
Amiga A1000, A1060 Sidecar, A500, CDTV, CD32, 1084S, A1200, A1200 Magic Pack from Petro, ex-custom-case A3000T (now a complete A3000T), repaired A4000T and looking for more :)

Re: Trying to install Amix in WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:12 PM »
Well, just having posted the above, I managed to get the 2.1 installaton thrue.

It did complain about the unexpected end-of-archive, too but it did go thrue the rest of the install and it boots now just fine.

At least I have now somewhat working installation running.
Commodore KIM-1, PET-2001, CBM 8032, CBM 8050, CBM 8250LP, D9060, VIC-20, C64, C64c, 1541, 1541-II, 1571, 1581,
Amiga A1000, A1060 Sidecar, A500, CDTV, CD32, 1084S, A1200, A1200 Magic Pack from Petro, ex-custom-case A3000T (now a complete A3000T), repaired A4000T and looking for more :)

Offline AmigaFreak

• Show only replies by AmigaFreak
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:59:18 PM »
Quote from: Amiga_CDTV;735567
Well, just having posted the above, I managed to get the 2.1 installaton thrue.

It did complain about the unexpected end-of-archive, too but it did go thrue the rest of the install and it boots now just fine.

At least I have now somewhat working installation running.

That's awesome that you got it running! - What's the process involved for installing it??
-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
All that is needed is WinUAE, the installation boot floppy image and the disk image of the installation media (all from amigaunix.com, see the HD hack method). In WinUAE the installation disk image must be mapped as SCSI6 and you need to create an empty HDD image whereto install (I put it as SCSI5). I followed these instructions on the site where appicalble.

I am still a bit puzzled with the installation problems I described. The installation I have now does seem to work but it's not very usable; I am running WinUAE in WinXP inside VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro and it's not running very smoothly. Also I can't use mouse inside the Open Look environment (mouse moves first pixel by pixel and then zooms couple of screen at the time) and the keyboard mappings are a bit tricky.

Offline Noth

• Show only replies by Noth
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 03:40:40 AM »
I've been testing AMIX 2.1c for about 10 days now. I'm a former Amiga nut (A500, A1000 then A1200/68030) and then moved on to Linux, BSD and Unix. I've got the installation working even as a manual install (the script doesn't like large swap partitions (over 256M from what I can tell). If you need any questions answered I can probably answer them.

I've got X11R5 with PicassoII working a couple of times (that install is so bugged), and networking but not DNS going. OpenLook (a desk env) works in black&white.

Offline B00tDisk

• Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »
Nice.  I love doing crazy stuff like that; are there any good apps for it?  I might give it a spin myself, or do an m68k Debian install with a desktop on WinUAE...
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:13 PM »
I thought I saw that you didn't need to use the HD hack method with WinUAE... or maybe that's a planned feature for the next version...

The stock A3000(UX?) had the hard drive at SCSI ID 6, and I think the Amix default install expects that (though it can be overridden).

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Failure
    • http://awhitlock.net/
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »
Ian (from amiga-hardware.com) had a real nice writeup on how to install Amix in WinUAE on the wiki.  But there was a database hiccup lately, even though I managed to repair the database it ate/truncated the article :-[  But the article on patching to 2.1c and the helper file for the patch disk are still out there!

I'd really like to get another WinUAE article up as pretty much anybody could play with it then, but I need to resolve some hosting issues first.  I'd hate for more info to be lost.
You can\'t spell evil without "vi"
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
I followed a thread over on EAB and also used one of the hard disk images from amigaunix.com and managed to get it up and running, but the image I used was only a command-prompt/console version.

If anyone know where I can get my hands on a fully configured x-windows version (as above), I'd be very interested to check it out.

Cheers,

Mike.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
@mingle: "olinit" from command line should start the OpenLook windowing-thingy.

Offline Noth

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »
Quote from: Failure;743768
Ian (from amiga-hardware.com) had a real nice writeup on how to install Amix in WinUAE on the wiki.  But there was a database hiccup lately, even though I managed to repair the database it ate/truncated the article :-[  But the article on patching to 2.1c and the helper file for the patch disk are still out there!

I'd really like to get another WinUAE article up as pretty much anybody could play with it then, but I need to resolve some hosting issues first.  I'd hate for more info to be lost.

Google Cache still has that page, and it worked fine for me but 490M isn't enough disk space. It's best to use a 950M drive so the installer doesn't hang and you get plenty of space for compiling software, as well as a big swap partition.

I followed a thread over on EAB and also used one of the hard disk images from amigaunix.com and managed to get it up and running, but the image I used was only a command-prompt/console version.

If anyone know where I can get my hands on a fully configured x-windows version (as above), I'd be very interested to check it out.

X11R4 is already ready to go after running "olinit", but in 1bit only. Open Look stops working once you install the PicassoII/Piccolo/GVP drivers, complaining about a missing font...  I haven't tracked down the problem yet but now I have the findutils compiled it's a bit easier. Both twm and tvtwm still work though, so you can start X using xinit.

By the way, X11R4 drivers work a lot better than X11R5 for me. Best to use that. And learn vi, it's crucial to edit files !

I post most of my progress here: http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16727870

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »
Quote from: Noth;743848
Google Cache still has that page, and it worked fine for me but 490M isn't enough disk space. It's best to use a 950M drive so the installer doesn't hang and you get plenty of space for compiling software, as well as a big swap partition.

Hot diggity.  It does indeed, and I've saved off a copy.  Thanks for that, I had checked archive.org only.
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP

Offline Noth

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 01:27:46 AM »
By the way Failure what's the file format of your 2.1 fixdisk? I tried mounting as sysV, ufs, and affs but no dice.

Also, slight bug, if your hostname isn't 'amix' the script fails complaining that it's not running on AMIX!

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
Quote from: Noth;743867
By the way Failure what's the file format of your 2.1 fixdisk? I tried mounting as sysV, ufs, and affs but no dice.

It's just a shell script actually, so it's installed the same way as the patch disk: sh /dev/dsk/fd0 *edit* Or rather, since you're on WinUAE just sh on the disk image file.

Also, slight bug, if your hostname isn't 'amix' the script fails complaining that it's not running on AMIX!

Hmm, with the patch disk itself??  I don't recall having that issue but it's been a while.  The hostname I used definitely wasn't "amix."
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP

Offline Noth

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
Quote from: Failure;743922
It's just a shell script actually, so it's installed the same way as the patch disk: sh /dev/dsk/fd0 *edit* Or rather, since you're on WinUAE just sh on the disk image file.

Right I'll give that a try.

Hmm, with the patch disk itself??  I don't recall having that issue but it's been a while.  The hostname I used definitely wasn't "amix."

with the fixdisk you have to apply before applying the 2.1c patch disk.