Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: netbsd http, ftp, telnet server on amiga 4000, and about ethernet cards  (Read 4370 times)

Description:

yeah, any comments on the os for the project? i plan to use amiga 4000/040 for the apache, some ftp daemon (which one?) and some telnet access (what server?),

and the most important, where to get an ethernet card that will support such setup and would plug into d-link router corectly? any comments welcome :)

Offline MrZammler

• Show only replies by MrZammler
Although the setup might be somewhat "low" for a web server, I think it'll be ok.

Get an X-Surf ethernet card and you'll be ok.

For ftp you could try wu-ftpd, ditch telnet and setup ssh instead.

Also check out http://www.sixgirls.org/reva.html
Anyway is the only way

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
@smok3

yeah, any comments on the os for the project? i plan to use amiga 4000/040 for the apache, some ftp daemon (which one?) and some telnet access (what server?),

and the most important, where to get an ethernet card that will support such setup and would plug into d-link router corectly? any comments welcome :)

Last question first. For ethernet, you can have a C= 4065 (very rare) 2065 (old, but reliable) Ariadne (rare) or an X-Surf. None of these will do greater than 10Mbit. All but the X-Surf are obsolete and would have to be bought secondhand. The X-Surf can be bought online at Jens' Site and all will need a third party TCP stack. Only one TCP stack (Miami) will handle the DHCP needed by your cable modem, and it can no longer be purchased.

As for the rest of the stuff, most of it is available as public domain software, except maybe the telnet server. I can't offer any advice in this regard as I haven't played with telnet on the Amiga in quite some years.

Try asking the guys at Sixgirls Computing Labs. They run an A4000/060 as a web server. SIXGIRLS
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid

smok3 wrote:

Depending on the level of content you want to serve, you might want to consider a lighter httpd (thttpd, for instance).  NetBSD includes ftpd and telnetd, and the OpenSSH suite is available from pkgsrc.  (You'd want to do some research to pick a suitably fast cipher for ssh/sftp.)  The modern  telnetd has some options for encrypted authentication that you'll want to research.

It really depends on the purpose the machine is meant to serve.  The native tools may or may not have their flaws, but 'jails' and proper monitoring will likely serve you better than simply picking the package with the biggest security hype.

i will call it 'experimental' server then, tnx for the answer. (for better picture: i also have fastlane z3 scsi card and some pretty fast scsi drives, maybe that will help a bit, in any case my old a4000 is doing nothing and i cant allowe that ;)

Only one TCP stack (Miami) will handle the DHCP needed by your cable modem, and it can no longer be purchased.
would that mean i cant use netbsd stack? or can i use amiga&miami prior to booting to netbsd?

Depending on the level of content you want to serve, you might want to consider a lighter httpd (thttpd, for instance).

i need a server with some sort of ssi (dont need perl, php or any active server side language), also i will 'disable' sendmail, since i wont have a lot of time to administer the server. will take a look at thttpd.

Offline Floid

smok3 wrote:
i will call it 'experimental' server then, tnx for the answer. (for better picture: i also have fastlane z3 scsi card and some pretty fast scsi drives, maybe that will help a bit, in any case my old a4000 is doing nothing and i cant allowe that ;)
Crypto, active content (PHP, mod-ruby/rhtml, mod-python or whatever) and software builds will be CPU-limited; everything else will probably be nemory/disk/network-limited... meaning that, lightly loaded, you should certainly see transfers near peak 10baseT rates if the network card is up to it.  (I have no idea if the bottlenecks of the X-Surf are in software or hardware, if it has any; the chipset it's based on certainly worked great in the 486s that were *my* experimental boxes...)

Don't let me scare you off Apache if your goal is to have fun with it; it should probably be fine.  (Okay, it was fine on a i486DX2-50... an 040/25 seems to be roughly half as fast, so it might be a little cramped, and building it from source might take an extra day or two.  Just pretend you're on a PDP-11, or some other Iron of yesteryear.  Network servers aren't really complex at all- they *did* run on such hardware.)

Only one TCP stack (Miami) will handle the DHCP needed by your cable modem, and it can no longer be purchased.
would that mean i cant use netbsd stack? or can i use amiga&miami prior to booting to netbsd?
Whoever wrote that was a bit confused- under NetBSD, it's all handled by NetBSD, and dhclient is certainly a part of the base install.  That would apply to the Amiga side of things, of course... but if you've got a Linksys box or similar, you could always put the machine on the static "DMZ" address behind the NAT.

Whoever wrote that was a bit confused- under NetBSD, it's all handled by NetBSD, and dhclient is certainly a part of the base install.

yeah, was my moment of weaknes...

i got some1 offering me a commodore A2065 card, any thoughts on that product?

tia.

Offline Floid

I meant the 'confused' bit for Desmon. ;-)

This reference is the best I could find; no experience, myself.

There's this, but no info on whether he resolved the issue per the suggestion or was up against driver bitrot (the former would be my guess, but then, I would've expected Knoppix's Linux kernel to select the PHY on my HomePNA card properly.).

The manpage for the driver lists a few cards of comparable vintage.

Probably fine, if you don't mind 1. using coax, or finding a 10bT transceiver, 2. possibly sticking a 486 fan on it?, and 3. you're paying less than for an X-Surf or more modern card.

This post mentions 750k/s throughput from a 2065, presumably under AmigaOS.

Offline destro

• Show only replies by destro
Hello there. If you can afford it, you might be better off getting a mediator card and then getting a 100mbit
pci network card., instead of using a zorro based
network card.  As for the software try getting Miami-DX
if you can. Miami-DX is the most powerful TCP/IP Stack
on the Amiga. I own Two X-Surf Cards. I might be
willing to part with the second one.

Offline Floid

destro wrote:
Hello there. If you can afford it, you might be better off getting a mediator card and then getting a 100mbit
pci network card.

So far as I know, no Amiga PCI bridges are yet supported by NetBSD, the Prometheus being/having been the one with the best hope for support, given the various manufacturers' takes on developer relations?

That said, it would certainly be a good solution were he to stick with AmigaOS exclusively.

Offline Castellen

My A4000T currently runs an FTP server 24/7.
Using MiamiDX and AriadneII ethernet, gives pretty good results.

I'd highly recommend RC-FTPd by Robin Cloutman (look on Aminet).  It's easy to configure, has a nice GUI and performs well.

I'm trying to get a web server running as well, but Apache is giving me lots of grief.  There are a few other more basic alternatives which I might look into next.

MiamiDX comes with a basic Telnet server and seperate client, but I haven't used it much.  You might be better with one from Aminet?

destro: I own Two X-Surf Cards.
of course iam interested, please send me an offer on 'smoker at email dot si', but remember that this is a low-budget project...

Castellen wrote:
I'd highly recommend RC-FTPd by Robin Cloutman (look on Aminet).  It's easy to configure, has a nice GUI and performs well.

iam familiar with the proggy, have used it in the past, but at that time upload speed was faster than download one, so i guess that is fixed in the later releases?

and yes, iam not aware of any cool www server for the amiga os. (and iam not ready to fiddle with the *nix apache port, i mean why not just use some sort of nix then ;))

Floid wrote:
I meant the 'confused' bit for Desmon. ;-)

This reference is the best I could find; no experience, myself.

There's this, but no info on whether he resolved the issue per the suggestion or was up against driver bitrot (the former would be my guess, but then, I would've expected Knoppix's Linux kernel to select the PHY on my HomePNA card properly.).

The manpage for the driver lists a few cards of comparable vintage.

Probably fine, if you don't mind 1. using coax, or finding a 10bT transceiver, 2. possibly sticking a 486 fan on it?, and 3. you're paying less than for an X-Surf or more modern card.

This post mentions 750k/s throughput from a 2065, presumably under AmigaOS.
ill do some reading, tnx again  :-D